Is Revan a Light Sith or a Dark Jedi? *possible minor spoilers*

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
For those that have played KOTOR 1 (possibly KOTOR 2 i never got around to playing the 2nd one since i despise Obsidian) and ToR, Revan in the Star Wars Universe is one of the most contreversial characters to exist (though he/she is a badass).

*Minor Spoiler* In the first KOTOR Revan began as a promising jedi turned Sith Lord due to encounter with the ancient Sith Emporer, and then when resucitated by the Jedi Counsel, was retrained by the Jedi. You the player could alter Revan's path anyway you wanted. I for example, was a shining always-do-good paragon that solved every problem with the least amount of conflict, but was swayed often by compassion/love for others. *Minor Spoiler)

Because of this, Ive always considered Revan to be a Light Sith, as he seemed to me, a redeemed Sith. What about you fellow Revanites? Is Revan, the conquerer of the Light and Dark side a Dark Jedi, or a Light Sith?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Well...I consider her a light site Jedi Master.
You should really play KotOR 2 (with the The Sith Lords Restoration Mod if possible). The story is truly outstanding, and it has the best character in video games (Kreia).

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
"Jedi" and "Sith" are just terms to describe your philosophy in regards to the Force. If you were a Light Side, happiness and friendship for all person, you were a Jedi. No Sith involved.

One thing to note: There is no such thing as a "light Sith". The Dark Side corrupts absolutely, and even those who start down that path with the best of intentions eventually become the baby kicking scum we all know and love. You can have "Grey" Jedi (i.e. Jedi who use...questionable means to get results. Like Qui-Gon, or Jolee), but they most certainly do not use the Dark Side. Its a very clear cut separation.

OT: My personal Revan is a Jedi through and through. A good mind-wipe and a chance to redeem his sins let him get there. Redemption is one of the driving themes in Star Wars, after all. Anyone who wants it can get it, so long as they are willing to denounce evil and actually work towards the light. It seems fitting that the most powerful Sith Lord can even become a hero if his crimes are presented to him in the proper context.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Ordinaryundone said:
"Jedi" and "Sith" are just terms to describe your philosophy in regards to the Force. If you were a Light Side, happiness and friendship for all person, you were a Jedi. No Sith involved.
I Agree with this, though to answer the question and following the story line of KOTOR 2, I would say he falls under the morally grey area. He sacrifices the needs of the few for the needs of the many. If anything, I believe he is a true Jedi. Sacrificing his own morals and the lives of those he cares about to save a very, very, VERY, large hive of scum and villainy known as the galaxy.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
If you've got a while read the full story on Revan (wookiepedia http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Revan)
alot of his story has been changed/expanded for TOR but he is a jedi, and one who see's himself as the "light to destroy the darkness"

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I've always seen Revan as being neither, but doing whatever he/she deems right, but leaning towards being light. That's how I always played the character in the game, and the book seems to be that way, too.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
DustyDrB said:
You should really play KotOR 2 (with the The Sith Lords Restoration Mod if possible). The story is truly outstanding, and it has the best character in video games (Kreia).
Revan is a man, I thought everyone knew this now?

OT: Revan is a master of both the Light and the Dark side, he walks the neutral line while teaching forgiveness and other light side messages. He still disagrees with the religious-like way the Jedi Order treat their teachings but agrees with the peace they wish for, whereas he does not agree with anything the Darkside teaches.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
Kinguendo said:
Revan will always be female in my books. I really don't give a crap what LucasArts decided was "canon".

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
OT: My personal Revan is a Jedi through and through. A good mind-wipe and a chance to redeem his sins let him get there. Redemption is one of the driving themes in Star Wars, after all. Anyone who wants it can get it, so long as they are willing to denounce evil and actually work towards the light. It seems fitting that the most powerful Sith Lord can even become a hero if his crimes are presented to him in the proper context.
My Reven on one of my many play throughs was a do gooder. Then he found out he was lied to and just killed everyone and everything good or bad that he could.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
sage42 said:
Ordinaryundone said:
I Agree with this, though to answer the question and following the story line of KOTOR 2, I would say he falls under the morally grey area. He sacrifices the needs of the few for the needs of the many. If anything, I believe he is a true Jedi. Sacrificing his own morals and the lives of those he cares about to save a very, very, VERY, large hive of scum and villainy known as the galaxy.
Thats not how he ended up, thats how he was before you even begin KOTOR. Thats how he was during the Madalorian Wars, he was changed by the war... he sacrificed any Jedi he thought wasnt completely loyal to him on Malachor V, including one of his closest friends the Jedi Exile of KOTOR II. He completely neutered his enemy and made sure they were always on the brink of extinction and could never be anything more than mercenearies, however after he came back he retrieved the mask of Mandalore and gave it back to the Mandalorians which is why you see them in KOTOR II.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Canon wise, he/she is a Jedi, who turned to the Dark Side, then turned back to the Light.

As far as I know, Reven is never actually given a gender in canon.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Kinguendo said:
DustyDrB said:

OT: Revan is a master of both the Light and the Dark side, he walks the neutral line while teaching forgiveness and other light side messages. He still disagrees with the religious-like way the Jedi Order treat their teachings but agrees with the peace they wish for, whereas he does not agree with anything the Darkside teaches.
If a game lets you decide who my character is and what his/her choices are, the only canon is what you decide it is. Revan is a female Jedi Master. The Exile is a male Jedi Gunslinger (a good guy overall, but can be cold-hearted at times).
Kinguendo said:
sage42 said:
Ordinaryundone said:
Thats not how he ended up, thats how he was before you even begin KOTOR. Thats how he was during the Madalorian Wars, he was changed by the war... he sacrificed any Jedi he thought wasnt completely loyal to him on Malachor V, including one of his closest friends the Jedi Exile of KOTOR II. He completely neutered his enemy and made sure they were always on the brink of extinction and could never be anything more than mercenearies, however after he came back he retrieved the mask of Mandalore and gave it back to the Mandalorians which is why you see them in KOTOR II.
Actually, if you follow all the dialogue with HK-47 in KotOR II, it is heavily implied that Revan (the Dark Lord of the Sith, not the Revan we played) and the Exile were not friends at all. The Exile just believed in Revan's cause. Revan simply saw the Exile as a tool and a possible future threat to her power, which is part of the reason why she sent the Exile to Malachor V (where there was a slim chance of surviving).

Also, after the Exile survived Malachor, she actually approved of the Exile going back to the council. Revan thought if the council saw the Exile in his broken state, it would deeply disturb them and cause them to question their beliefs.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
krellen said:
Kinguendo said:
Revan will always be female in my books. I really don't give a crap what LucasArts decided was "canon".
Well, that doesnt matter.

Thats akin to me saying Darth Vader was part of the Hutt family, doesnt matter what the facts are... I am ignoring them so there.

The truth is, he was a man.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
As numerous others have pointed out, you get to decide if Revan was a Paragon of the Light Side or a Lord of the Dark Side. Personally I always preferred being a Dark Sider simply because the conversation choices are so much better. "We'll need someone to break us out of the cells once we get captured." "THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR A WOOKIE!!!"

However as far as the continuous storyline goes, there is no canon that can be set since it's all based on player choices. At least that's what Bioware has said about their take on the Mass Effect canon. That said, though, it seems to me that according to KotOR II, Revan was a Jedi by the end of KotOR I. Why do I say this? The simple fact that the Republic still stands. Had Revan reverted to the Dark Side, taken the Star Forge for his/her own, the galaxy would be under Sith Control. It is implied that whichever fate you choose for Revan at the beginning of KotOR II that Revan led that army for a little while before just disappearing. And the fact that in KotOR the Sith Army is completely non-existant, I think it's safe to say that the game assumes Revan was a Jedi and led the Republic to victory.

Dec 14, 2009
Well, from what I've read, Revan is light side male and The Exile is a light side female.

Incidentally, that's how both my characters played out, before I read up on the canon.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
i think revan is never jedi or sith he is both of them yet none he walked the line between the dark and light side and did what was best for the galaxy

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
I conquered the galaxy and wrote my own history, I was the good guy, obviously.

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
In KOTOR you can choose to have Revan as a Jedi or a Sith. I believe the cannon ending is that he is a jedi, so where you go.

In KOTOR 2 one of the ideas of the game seems to be that both the jedi and the sith are arrogant idiots who just fight over religous ideals. The whole black/white simplicity of the Star Wars series gets picked apart and instead we get characters who are more like real people. Going by Kotor 2's logic, Revan is neither. He/She is a guy with an agenda. He/She is just Revan.

I'd say KOTOR 2's interpretation is better overall but not really "Star Wars", much like most of the things in that game. However if we're going by Star Wars logic then I guess he could fit into either of your proposed catagories.