Is Samurai Jack the anime of the season and possibly the year

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
"They made Aku into a joke"

You guys... remember the original seasons right? Where he ordered pizza, screwed with people because he's bored, and at one point turned into a naked muscle man to engage in a spirited "I know you know I know" circle.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I like this season... but I won't deny it's flaws. Especially how rushed it was in spots...

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
I see your Horseman and Cultist Mother, and I raise you The Daughters of Aku. They were built up all through the teasers before the season started. When they finally confronted Jack, they kicked the crap out of him, more than anyone else has ever done (save for maybe The Guardian with the glasses). I was expecting them to be around for the duration, slowly getting picked off, but no. Taken down in one episode.
You know I use to have a problem with that but when you realize they stuck out like sore thumbs in the snowy landscape and they never learned how to protect one other then you kinda understand how Jack killed them so easily. T

Sniper Team 4 said:
And what about the other one that Jack just threw off of the cliff? Jack and Ashi survived the fall, so why didn't she? How cool would it have been to have Ashi not fight her mother, but her sister instead? Ashi could see what she was like, and meanwhile the other sister could have to struggle with the realization that their leader, the sister they all followed, abandoned the cause. That would have been something worth watching, but no. Despite having the same training, she apparently dies when she falls.
Yeah I kinda agree with that, I thought it was a missed opportunity and the whole subplot with the "Cult" felt kinda wasted when you actually think about it. Also I wish Jack kept his beard and hair
The Cult was horribly wasted and what makes it worse is that they were the most interesting characters in this entire series, finally a villain or in this case an orginization of villainesses that look much more intimidating and a threat than Aku, who has become litirally the butt end of a joke. Like seriously this is our ultimate bad guy folks, a joke:

What happened to this Aku?

That is why I had high hopes about the Cult and Daughter's of Aku, if Aku is not a threat anymore, these cultist will, but no they got wasted. I mean there should have been a Jack vs the Cult Leader scenario.

"They made Aku into a joke." Did you watch some of the previous episodes? The guy was ordering pizza off the phone in one of the older episodes. Hell, one episode was him telling kids all of the classic bedtime stories where he warped them into saying he is the innocent, brave warrior and Jack is the villain. In other words, Aku has always been a mix of deliciously evil and also being a tad comedic in some parts.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
I see your Horseman and Cultist Mother, and I raise you The Daughters of Aku. They were built up all through the teasers before the season started. When they finally confronted Jack, they kicked the crap out of him, more than anyone else has ever done (save for maybe The Guardian with the glasses). I was expecting them to be around for the duration, slowly getting picked off, but no. Taken down in one episode.
You know I use to have a problem with that but when you realize they stuck out like sore thumbs in the snowy landscape and they never learned how to protect one other then you kinda understand how Jack killed them so easily. T

Sniper Team 4 said:
And what about the other one that Jack just threw off of the cliff? Jack and Ashi survived the fall, so why didn't she? How cool would it have been to have Ashi not fight her mother, but her sister instead? Ashi could see what she was like, and meanwhile the other sister could have to struggle with the realization that their leader, the sister they all followed, abandoned the cause. That would have been something worth watching, but no. Despite having the same training, she apparently dies when she falls.
Yeah I kinda agree with that, I thought it was a missed opportunity and the whole subplot with the "Cult" felt kinda wasted when you actually think about it. Also I wish Jack kept his beard and hair
The Cult was horribly wasted and what makes it worse is that they were the most interesting characters in this entire series, finally a villain or in this case an orginization of villainesses that look much more intimidating and a threat than Aku, who has become litirally the butt end of a joke. Like seriously this is our ultimate bad guy folks, a joke:

That is why I had high hopes about the Cult and Daughter's of Aku, if Aku is not a threat anymore, these cultist will, but no they got wasted. I mean there should have been a Jack vs the Cult Leader scenario.

"They made Aku into a joke." Did you watch some of the previous episodes? The guy was ordering pizza off the phone in one of the older episodes. Hell, one episode was him telling kids all of the classic bedtime stories where he warped them into saying he is the innocent, brave warrior and Jack is the villain. In other words, Aku has always been a mix of deliciously evil and also being a tad comedic in some parts.
The children's story episode made me lost all fear and intimidation of Aku even when I was a kid watching it.

Basically I just want Aku to be like Morgoth, or the Old Gods from World of Warcraft/

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
MrCalavera said:
Ezekiel said:
Not anime. But I don't like the term anime anyway. Japanimation was simpler to understand and couldn't be so easily interpreted as Japanese-style animation. Bunch of Japanese wannabes who came up with it.

"Why do you keep saying anime? I don't even know what that means."

"Nobody does! It's foreign! Isn't it cool?"
Isn't it just a japanese word for "animation"?
Well, technically it's the French word for animation. But it fits nicely into kana syllables and the Japanese liked it, so they borrowed it as they do with words from many other languages.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Bad Player said:
This is probably a stupid question but

When people say "the first 3 episodes," do they mean of the final/current season, or the series as a whole?
First 3 episodes of the final season. Excellent start, then all of the daughters of Aku died in one fight except for the designated 'one who survives and converts to the side of the protagonist, and also starts banging him', which was easy to see coming since she was the only one given a name. The rest of the season juts kinda glosses over... everything

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

Sniper Team 4 said:

Wasn't there also an episode where he turned himself into a chick and strung Jack along for the duration? I swear I remember that.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

Sniper Team 4 said:

The children's story episode made me lost all fear and intimidation of Aku even when I was a kid watching it.

Basically I just want Aku to be like Morgoth, or the Old Gods from World of Warcraft/
Even though Aku chained Jack's father to a stone and made him watch as Aku destroyed a village in horror. Aku is an intimidating villain and uses some area of funny comic relief. Scheming, manipulative and over-the-top at the same time. I find it kinda scary and somewhat fascinating at the same time. I kinda feel like your idea of standards feel bizarre or a bit odd.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
well season 2 of my hero academia and Attack on Titan are currently ongoing, so right now it's got some stiff competition.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:
Nah, I like Rick and Morty better. (Despite how disgusting it can get.)
Yeah but the season won't start until the summer so it doesn't really count

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
After that finale... nope. Really feels like they could've done with an episode or two more, 'cause fuck me was that rushed.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
can't say i liked how it ended but otherwise it was pretty good. and at least we got an ending to it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Typical, you can never pleased everyone.

As for me, overall I enjoyed the final season as a whole. At long last, I can rest in peace knowing that one of my favourite cartoons has a conclusion unlike Symbionic Titans, Jayce and the Wheel Warriors, Dungeon and Dragons and Thundercats 2011 etc. If you loved cartoons as much as I do, those lingering feeling of the unfinished journeys are one of the worst!

I liked how different it was from the previous seasons in so many ways. Episode numbers as titles, one contiuntion arc than individual stand alone episodes, the new level of violences but not extreme and Jack finall adapted to the future and his new inner turmoil. Also despite feeling powerless and his effort was for nothing, he was wrong with that given to the final episodes and Ashi meeting the people that Jack had saved.

As for Ashi knowing Aku abilities instantly. That doesn't suprised me. I original thought before it aired that when Ashi did regain control, she would had turned the table by her controlling Aku instead as cliche/ troupe as it sound! That scene with Jack and Ashi in the time portal holding hand was worth it seeing Jack smiling, fulfull his goal! Still I don't get why Aku could make the time portal for himself to enter throught he was that desperate to lived?

Lastly I admit I too wanted to see an epilogue with the changed future but as bittersweet (and similar to Gurren Lagaan) the ending was, someone on YT pointed out the many lived that Jack saved may now be erased due to their lived may have been born from Aku reign of terror. Still their races would not have been erase so I would had wanted to see the dogs, Spartans, the jumping monkey, Scottman people and etc carry on with the peaceful lived.

Despite some complain on the final episode, look at it this way, would you rather have the ending we been presented or have it back in cliffhanger limbo before the announcement of season 5? Not knowing wheather Jack will make it back to the past or slain Aku once and for all. Still I suppose the latter is left to your imagination despite what other will says.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Scarim Coral said:
I can rest in peace knowing that one of my favourite cartoons has a conclusion unlike Symbionic Titans, Jayce and the Wheel Warriors, Dungeon and Dragons and Thundercats 2011 etc.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxyb2d1bGw3MnxneDo3OGExYWM2ZTMyOWVmODJl

You might already be aware of it, but the ending to Dungeons and Dragons is at least available in script form.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

Sniper Team 4 said:

Even though Aku chained Jack's father to a stone and made him watch as Aku destroyed a village in horror. Aku is an intimidating villain and uses some area of funny comic relief. Scheming, manipulative and over-the-top at the same time. I find it kinda scary and somewhat fascinating at the same time. I kinda feel like your idea of standards feel bizarre or a bit odd.
But that was Aku from the beginning, Aku overtime just got more saturday morning cartoon villain.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
MCerberus said:

You guys... remember the original seasons right? Where he ordered pizza, screwed with people because he's bored, and at one point turned into a naked muscle man to engage in a spirited "I know you know I know" circle.

Had it been gritty and moody for 10+ episodes, people would be complaining it wasn't Samurai Jack.
Bro can't win.

Aside from being overly condensed, the final was pretty much a perfect arc to the themes of the season.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I'm sorry if I have this wrong but isn't this show actually an american cartoon and not an anime borrowing the look of some cartoons like Panty & Stocking but actually using it in the way anime does and not how american cartoons do?

This is not even the avatar/teen titans situation where a cartoon is somewhat anime-like but still a cartoon due to a lack of a few innate anime components, but just a straight up american cartoon about samurai from what I understand.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dreiko said:
I'm sorry if I have this wrong but isn't this show actually an american cartoon and not an anime borrowing the look of some cartoons like Panty & Stocking but actually using it in the way anime does and not how american cartoons do?

This is not even the avatar/teen titans situation where a cartoon is somewhat anime-like but still a cartoon due to a lack of a few innate anime components, but just a straight up american cartoon about samurai from what I understand.
True, but Genndy Tartakovsky, and Craig McCracken Tartakovsky even worked with McCracken on some episodes of the Powerpuff Girls to a lesser extent, both have anime influences in their respective shows. If you go back and watch the old episodes of Dexter's Lab; not those crappy seasons 3 & 4. It's even more noticeable now, than it was back then.

MrBoBo said:
MCerberus said:

Had it been gritty and moody for 10+ episodes, people would be complaining it wasn't Samurai Jack.
Bro can't win.

Aside from being overly condensed, the final was pretty much a perfect arc to the themes of the season.
This. Aku has always been a goof, but still a huge threat at the same time. And they managed to keep it there and stay true, so nothing was wrong/ I don't where MCerberus and some others are getting these complaints from. The only time he wasn't such a goof was mainly in the first season (especially the first three episodes), but by Season 2, the writers started giving more of a personality, instead just generic Japanese Doomsday Villain. I welcome what they did then, and do now.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

Sniper Team 4 said:

But that was Aku from the beginning, Aku overtime just got more saturday morning cartoon villain.
Not really. He still acted intimidating and silly at the same time. I find it more fascinating and scheming at the same time. It was kinda unpredictable.