Is sci fi and fantasy only for the rich and intelligent?

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
CaptJohnSheridan said:
Ielitism snip
I am neither rich nor intelligent
But I am a great lover of Fantasy novels
not so much sci-fi novels
But I balance that out by enjoying sci-fi tv shows and movies much more than their fantasy counterparts

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Hawki said:
Well, hardly going to rag on anyone for their opinion. Speaking personally, I've read three Shannara books (First King, Sword, Elfstones), and am currently reading Wishsong.
If you're looking for an in-depth debate I'm afraid I can't really do so as again, last time I read any of the books was 15ish years ago. Most of the details I remember from the series are fuzzy at best. That said I do very much remember the series being very derivative at the start, no argument there, but I also recall it eventually coming into its own and becoming more unique in the fantasy genre.

Also as I recall Wishsong was my favourite at the time as I remember it being the first of the series to really try something different with its already established formula, but I would have to re-read the series again to see whether they hold up at all or not.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Speculative fiction is a niche genre- Bookstores cater towards niche genres, along with more mass market books- as they often times have a lot more space for selling books compared to a big box retailer. It's the same reason why you'll find computer components at Microcenter or Best-Buy, and not find computer components at a place like Target- despite all three of these places selling electronics- Microcenter caters more towards a niche, while Target tries to appeal to everyone.

These books don't carry the societal belief that they're for the rich and intelligent- they carry the belief that they're for geeks/nerds (And for the most part, that's correct. There's nothing wrong with that- it's just who consumes it most frequently). A lot of literature majors/teachers I've talked to at my college think, or at least have been taught, that speculative fiction isn't worthy of great literary status- the kind of stuff that would be associated towards intelligentsia. (That being said- most everything isn't worthy of great literary status.)

Also: As someone who has recently worked at a Barnes and Noble- their clientele base doesn't seem that much different than, richer than, or more intelligent than any other store I've worked at. It's just another hobby.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Sci-fi/Fantasy has always been considered low class, niche fiction. Critics have generally looked down on them, and despite the surge in popularity in recent years, it still carries a stigma of "nerdy" niche appeal. As to why Walmart would carry trashy harlequin novels but not sci/fantasy... target demographic.

Lonely housewives pick up a trashy novel while they're at Walmart picking up groceries as an impulse buy. Nerds buy fantasy books from a real bookstore because they went there specifically to get a book. Walmart knows that no self-respecting nerd would go to Walmart for reading material.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Whats funny is that Walmart Does carry a limited selection of sci-fi/fantasy if it is popular. New Harry Potter movie? You bet those books are there. Another GoT season Starting? the whole series lines an end cap.

Walmart is the single most successful Retailer in the World if they think it will sell they sell it if not they don't.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I wouldn't chalk it up to intelligence, but rather one's taste for the unreal. At first it can seem daunting if all you've ever read was non-fiction or fiction without anything supernatural. However, the more of it you read, or the more exposure you get to stuff of the imagination through TV, comics, movies, video games, and of course books, the more comfortable you get with it, and if you like it, you may develop an affinity for it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
I'm trying really hard but my eyes just cannot roll far enough.
Exactly this. I only came in here to say I refused to dignify this topic with a response... by responding to it.

*realizing I just stepped in troll shit*

Damn it.