Is Silent Hill 2 best Silent Hill ever?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I disagree. Silent Hill 2 was really boring. It had one or two good jump scares, emphasis on 1 or 2, and the rape scene with Pyramid head. Outside of that, its not really horror. More just annoyingly empty ambiance with the occasional hilariously out of place character or poorly translated poetic character.
An its certainly not survival horror. You get ammo and weapons out the ass, monsters are stupid ease, health packs are everywhere, and the levels are pretty linear.

There wasn't really much to it, especially compared to later Silent Hill games that actually had enemies that could kill you and more psychological horror beyond vague, ill-understood metaphors about tits and James perceived frustrations.

Oct 22, 2011
Probably.

In terms of story, and overall impact, i'd say it goes like this: 2>3=4>1.

Have in consideration though, that:
a)I haven't played the later games.
b)I played them out of order, that is 2>3>1>4.
c)I feel like the Ebil Cul, was the weakest, least interesting subplot in these games.

BreakfastMan said:
Honestly, 2 is kind of overrated. It is the most "artsy", which tends to make people think it is more intelligent/adult (and therefore better), but 1 and 3 kind of blow it out of the water nowadays. 3 is probably the actual best, followed closely by 1.
Eh, i can see the 3rd. But i don't really know if there's anything first one does, that the later games didn't improve on.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I disagree. Silent Hill 2 was really boring. It had one or two good jump scares, emphasis on 1 or 2, and the rape scene with Pyramid head. Outside of that, its not really horror. More just annoyingly empty ambiance with the occasional hilariously out of place character or poorly translated poetic character.
An its certainly not survival horror. You get ammo and weapons out the ass, monsters are stupid ease, health packs are everywhere, and the levels are pretty linear.

There wasn't really much to it, especially compared to later Silent Hill games that actually had enemies that could kill you and more psychological horror beyond vague, ill-understood metaphors about tits and James perceived frustrations.
ok Silent Hill 2 has no jumpscare first game has cat jump from locker i think but no jump scares in series general. its not FNAf
2 and 4 are best Silent Hill everything else ruin series
discuss

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

ok Silent Hill 2 has no jumpscare first game has cat jump from locker i think but no jump scares in series general. its not FNAf
2 and 4 are best Silent Hill everything else ruin series
discuss
I ain't saying jump scares are the only form of horror, and certainly FNAF overplays is. But they are an effective means of horror and horror games shouldn't discard them simply because they're "cheap"
In Silent Hill 2's case, the lack of jump scares doesn't make it scarier. Yes it doesn't rely on jump scares, but they forgot to fill it with something else scary.
To quote from Yahtzee's I think Alien Isolation review: There's a difference between atmospheric pacing and just having fuck all happen.
Silent Hill 2 doesn't really have much happening in it. Yes it is atmospheric, but that's about it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
No, not really. 2 was pretty boring at least compared to 3, 4, Homecoming, Shattered Memories, DownPour and Book of Secrets.
2 is best game. 4 is ok best. orgins ruin survial horror and entire genre suffer never understand why people like it

hanselthecaretaker said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hello

so my friends, recently i was thinking what is best Silent Hill. for example its Silent Hill 2 which tells best story. but imo every silent hill tells good stories except origins and Homegoing which ruined series with roll. no place for roll in survial horror and Alex Shepherd is the worst protagonist in series. i never understand one thing that why people like homegoing.

what do you think?

discuss
Call me crazy, but it sounds like you?re channeling B-Cell.
what you mean explain

....ooookaaayyy?

Sep 24, 2008
Ha... Haha.... HahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

My Day Has Come!!

Hello, my friends. My name is Obsidian Jones. Welcome to my Neighborhood.

No, Silent Hill 2 isn't the best Silent Hill game ever.

Oh, did I throw you for a loop? Let me explain. Silent Hill is the best Horror Game ever made if you're into the Japanese idea of horror (which I am). It is the horror of creepiness. Of subtly. Of confusion and playing with expectations. It is not the western idea of horror: Gore, Jump Scares, and Loud Noises.

The problem is that Silent Hill 2 is Filler in the Silent Hill series. It has nothing to do with the town and the plight of it proper other than the town has powers and shit's going bad in it. Even The Room had more to do with Silent Hill's troubles (as Walter Sullivan was apart of the Cult that devoted itself to the powers of Silent Hill), And it's Tearing Me Apart to admit that.

But it was done so well that everyone tried to replicate it from this point on. SilentPony made this point before, and I agree. It's the same as how "The Dark Knight" hit it big, and every DC tried to make that its angle even with Properties that shouldn't have that treatment. The Man of Steel is a bad movie to me because Superman is about Hope. And you made a Superman movie where Superman seems more Begrudgingly Obligated than Hopeful.

Silent Hill 2 set such a tone that, yeah, the series has been trying to escape it since. It is still the best Horror Game of all time, as I will always want to discuss it even while being unnerved by it. It is a Sentient, Malevolent, Reality Warping Force that decided to use it's power to fuck with one person in particular (Whether Eddie and Angela is real, I'll always be up for that discussion). But it stole the show so hard that the rest of the series has to live in its shadow.

You might not like Silent Hill 2. You might not even think it's that good. But this discussion on whether SH 2 is the best is one frequently held by fans of Silent Hill. That's the shadow I'm talking about.