Is Silent Hill 2 best Silent Hill ever?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hello

so my friends, recently i was thinking what is best Silent Hill. for example its Silent Hill 2 which tells best story. but imo every silent hill tells good stories except origins and Homegoing which ruined series with roll. no place for roll in survial horror and Alex Shepherd is the worst protagonist in series. i never understand one thing that why people like homegoing.

what do you think?

discuss

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a Silent Hill game.

Silent Hill 2 is probably the best, but it doesn't make 1 or 3 obsolete. There's a "crunchier" hellish vibe to those games that SH2 doesn't have, since that game is all about the internal ickiness of its characters.

Oh, and Guy Cihi did not give a good voice performance in that game. The game makes it work, but the voice performance itself is not great. Now Monica Horgan, she was amazing.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Silent Hill 2 is great, but my favourite is SH1 because I'm a nostalgia whore.

But, in actual fact, the one that terrified me most was SH4. God that game freaks me out. I knew it got to me when I was mixing up the horror of SH4's eponymous room with my own in real life. I don't think a game has ever scared me so much, actually. So although it's kind of the black sheep of the series, it's the most effective one, in my eyes.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I think Silent Hill 2 is the most overrated because 1 and 3 are just as equally good.

And I still wanna try out Silent Hill 4: The Room.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hello

so my friends, recently i was thinking what is best Silent Hill. for example its Silent Hill 2 which tells best story. but imo every silent hill tells good stories except origins and Homegoing which ruined series with roll. no place for roll in survial horror and Alex Shepherd is the worst protagonist in series. i never understand one thing that why people like homegoing.

what do you think?

discuss
Call me crazy, but it sounds like you?re channeling B-Cell.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
On topic though, I?d really have to play through at least the first four again. The only one I haven?t played is the portable Shattered Memories, which I hear is good.

I think 4 is under-appreciated at the very least. It tried some new things, most notably with the setting and some gameplay elements that made it possibly the most strategic installment in the series. It?s also pretty unnerving as a horror game. The protagonist might be the worst part actually, even though he really wasn?t any worse than the first two.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Honestly, 2 is kind of overrated. It is the most "artsy", which tends to make people think it is more intelligent/adult (and therefore better), but 1 and 3 kind of blow it out of the water nowadays. 3 is probably the actual best, followed closely by 1.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hahahaha that's the first thing I thought of.
Made my day anyway!

I'm from the camp that thinks 2 is overrated as well, I found it a bit of a boring slog to be honest, despite having the best story of the ones that I've played. I have to be honest here and mention I haven't finished any of them, but I really like the freaky premise of The Room. I liked the controls better in homecoming though.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
I think Silent Hill 2 is the most overrated because 1 and 3 are just as equally good.

For me it was worth creating a Japanese PSN account to get it on PS3. It was only available on their store for sad reasons. I also tried playing the PC version before a couple times, but remember it having controller issues and a resolution glitch whenever widescreen was forced. Was not a good port.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
2 and 4 were really good. 1 and 3 were good, and one was amazing until 2 surpassed it. Really the only other one I liked was Shattered Memories. Downpour was an improvement but still had too many issues to be really good.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
hanselthecaretaker said:
Samtemdo8 said:

For me it was worth creating a Japanese PSN account to get it on PS3. It was only available on their store for sad reasons. I also tried playing the PC version before a couple times, but remember it having controller issues and a resolution glitch whenever widescreen was forced. Was not a good port.
I plan on just getting it on PS2 since I still have a working console.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Oooh, a B-Cell thread. I love those.

Anyway, I've only played 2, 3 and Origins. I enjoyed 3 the most because I like its atmosphere and exploration the most, but 2 is a close second. Never bothered to finish Origins.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I liked 1 and 3 more but then again back when I played those my main gauge was by how much they scared me. 1 and 3 freaked me out at points, 2 didn't. I would probably enjoy it more now since I would actually pay attention to the story, at the time though I was just really disappointed with nothing in is scaring me at all.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
No, not really. 2 was pretty boring at least compared to 3, 4, Homecoming, Shattered Memories, DownPour and Book of Secrets.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Yes, SH2 is the best by far. Not even a contest. Silent Hill games have this nasty habit of falling apart at the joints towards the end when they try to wrap up everything with the cult/otherworld lore. It just detracts from everything up to that point. SH3 in particular suffers the most from this. It's a fenomenal game until after the homecoming sequence, then it just falls apart.

SH2 avoided that trope beautifully.

Spunky88

Apr 9, 2016
Havn't played all in the series,but I'd say SH2 has the best story,although I know that's subgective. Silent Hill 3 had better gameplay IMO,but it wasn't as creepy/disturbing. After that it went downhill, it felt like they tried to catch the magic that no 2 had.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Yeah, I'd tend to agree that Silent Hill 2 is the best. It has the most compelling story and interesting characters; it rewards you for mentally picking it up, turning it around, and trying to find new facets. It arguably has both the happiest and the most disturbing endings, and they all make a certain amount of sense, and they reflect the protagonist's desires and his own interpretation of the events- whether he chooses to move on, live in the past, end his life to escape the cycle of guilt, or becomes so obsessed that he gives in to Silent Hill's power in an attempt to undo what has been.

(Except the "Dog" and "U.F.O." endings, of course- those just be bonkers.)

It also does the best job of standing independently of the lore first established in SH1 and continuing through SH3 (and arguably 4), and I think is the better for it. The cult is... okay, but the less you explain Silent Hill and the more you just intuit what the place and its powers and projections mean, the more disquieting it is.

Kind of a pity it had to come out of Konami, a company that now seems unable to find its purpose with a map and a native guide.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
No, not really. 2 was pretty boring at least compared to 3, 4, Homecoming, Shattered Memories, DownPour and Book of Secrets.
2 is best game. 4 is ok best. orgins ruin survial horror and entire genre suffer never understand why people like it

hanselthecaretaker said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hello

what do you think?

discuss
what you mean explain