Is SOCOM 4 worth it?

Admiral Crunch

Nov 25, 2010
Personally I enjoyed SOCOM up to the point where they stopped being fun. (Fireteam Bravo 2 was the last) However, SOCOM 4 looks decent but people generally seem to dislike it.

So, is it really that terrible, or is it worth a try at least?

(Note: I ask because I hate wasting money :D)

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
First, I will note I never played a previous SOCOM game as I never went online with the PS2 and Confrontation was definitely a bad game when it launched so I never picked it up.

I played the SOCOM beta or demo, and I was really disappointed by it. I went in expecting a hardcore shooter like Metal Gear Online but based more in realism than MGO. SOCOM4, in my opinion, basically plays like a 3rd-person COD that's has a lot more camping spots. There's health regen, grenades are one button throws (in my book, you should have to cycle from your gun to your nade like MGO and MAG), and there's moving spawns (which I also hate). There's classic SOCOM mode with no respawns and a standard health meter but respawns aren't a bad thing for most game modes. Why can't I play with a health bar and play a respawn game? The game is also all matchmaking and I prefer games with a lobby/room system. The cover system that's in the game is pretty clunky and I hate the fact that you can't switch shoulders when shooting.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Admiral Crunch said:
Personally I enjoyed SOCOM up to the point where they stopped being fun. (Fireteam Bravo 2 was the last) However, SOCOM 4 looks decent but people generally seem to dislike it.

So, is it really that terrible, or is it worth a try at least?

(Note: I ask because I hate wasting money :D)
I bought the game on release and love it, the SP is so and so (but SOCOM games have never been about SP) but really fun Co-op and Multi. There is a diversity in the maps and a lot of them are just nice to play on. There a bit of unlocks, the game runs really smooth, and plays overall really well. There's enough gamemodes to make a person happy, with some unique ones like bomb squad.

Also with Socom 4 like MAG, Zipper will patch and support it for awhile and can even make major changes within these patches. I remember MAG even added new animations.

So yeah I would say it's worth it imo.

blacon

Mar 19, 2010
Yes. Socom 4 is pretty good.

As a huge Socom fan throughout the whole series I was dreading it because of the amount of changes. Unfortunately I still haven't got online with it due to the PSN outage, but the single player game was really enjoyable.

I'd get it if I was you - they've always been great online games.