is space infinate?

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
If it's expanding then it's not infinite, the problem is that it's expanding at such a rate that we cannot go toward it as it's faster than the spped of light. Things may get easier once we determine what shape the universe actually is. Some say it's Spherical, some say it's like a curved piece of paper.

Blackality

Oct 18, 2009
No, if you had telescope very, and i mean VERY powerful and you pointed it to the sky you could see the Earth.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Nimbus said:
Duh, it's not like the universe has a big wall marking the end or something. We don't live in a marble, despite what MIB might have to say abut it.
Proof please.

Blackality said:
No, if you had telescope very, and i mean VERY powerful and you pointed it to the sky you could see the Earth.

[HEADING=2]LIGHT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY.[/HEADING]

huntedannoyed

Apr 23, 2008
Of course not! At the edge of the universe there is another universe filled with versions of ourselves as we would appear in the old west.

[edit] I swear the post above mine wasn't there when I started typing!

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
ArcWinter said:
happysock said:
ArcWinter said:
No. Nothing in this universe is infinite or perfect.

That's not depressing, right?
To steal a quote human stupidity is infinite

OT: yeah the word is it's expanding as well :S
But human stupidity isn't in this universe, it's out of this world.
If it's out of this world then it's still in the universe, but it still made me laugh

Lothae

Mar 29, 2009
To quote the guide:
"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space!"

CuervoJoe

Apr 13, 2009
Hmm...time for a theory.

My theory is that if the universe is expanding, then we are too, so that we perceive it to be stable. If it starts contracting, then so shall we, and we will be oblivious too it, so although space appears to be stable, it is not.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Existance is infinite. Space, however, isn't. Our universe was created at one point and will likely be destroyed at some point. What will come afterwards is unknown, but I get the feeling that it won't be game over. The real question is, do we have an immoral component (a soul if you will) that will live to see it all?

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
huntedannoyed said:
Of course not! At the edge of the universe there is another universe filled with versions of ourselves as we would appear in the old west.
No, no, no! It's the universe where everyone wears a cowboy hat! There's a difference!

LilGherkin

Aug 15, 2008
I wish I was immortal and didn't need oxygen and invincible so I could just slowly traverse space looking to see if there was an end. Maybe meet some aliens and befriend them securing the safety of humanity when they invade.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Yes. The Universe is expanding faster than ever. It's expanding at about 71 km/s/Mpc.

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
The_ModeRazor said:
TheNamlessGuy said:
Cargando said:
Yes. Of course it is. It's infinite and expanding.
...then what is it expanding into?

OT: No, it's still expanding from the Big Bang.
The question is what lies beyond
More universe.
Except it has nothing in it.
Like you know, black space or whatever it's called.
Technically, it's still part of the universe.
Ehh, the universe doesn't work like that. The universe is everything, with nothing beyond it. If you were to reach the edge of the universe, you'd appear at the opposite side. The universe is all that is and ever will be. Tricky concept to get one's head around, though.

As J.B.S Haldane said: "The universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but also queerer than we can suppose."

huntedannoyed

Apr 23, 2008
I was trying to be PC
Valate said:
huntedannoyed said:
No, no, no! It's the universe where everyone wears a cowboy hat! There's a difference!

I was trying to be PC! LOL

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
ArcWinter said:
No. Nothing in this universe is infinite or perfect.

That's not depressing, right?
Nothing is, as you put it, perfect(An entirely human concept, anyway. Everything in the universe works the way it's supposed to, so maybe everything is perfect, but humans just can't appreciate it?), but the universe is very much infinite in scale. Since it contains everything in existence, and nothing lies beyond it, it is effectively infinite in some interpretations of the word.