Is Steve Jobs the 2nd Greatest Innovator of All Time?

Feb 13, 2008
A Free Man said:
Sure to you the bible is just a book but to some people they would die for the ideals presented within it.
Not even daring to touch that landmine.

I don't care what the name of the person who invented/discovered/designed a way to harness electricity is, as long as I can use the objects that I wish to.

I have never heard of the amazing innovators that designed my first kiss or the time I moved out.
Look. In. The. Mirror.

but the fact is that I use my iPhone every day for a myriad of things to say that it shouldn't be a big part of my life doesn't mean anything to me.
Not the question asked.

What you seem to be doing is making me out as some heartless person who cares for objects moreso than the people around him which is just not true at all.
I'm saying you have no idea of the Greatest Innovators of All Time, and are taking it as "The People I Remember That Changed My Life". That's an entirely different subject.

I still would have no idea who the true innovators in our world are, simply because that area does not interest me so studying it would be kind of pointless.
But you still feel qualified to question who the true innovators are, despite having no knowledge or wish to learn.

Well that sounds kind of silly to me.
Thank you for your condescension.

As for the research part, are you seriously telling me that if tomorrow a poll at your university asked you a question you would go and research the topic at hand so that you have a completely full view of the topic before answering?
If someone asked me what I thought of the latest perfume, I'd either admit not to knowing enough, or at least study the topic in hand before giving an answer.
If so you must waste a lot of your time on fairly pointless endeaveurs.
The word is endeavors (or endeavours if you're British). You can find that out by clicking the spell-check installed. That requires no time at all, but you were unwilling to do that because it does not interest you.

You obviously have more pressing issues. With your iPhone.

Quick check.
Sentences that begin with "I": 4
Number of times I/Me was used in self-reference: 21
Sentences: 28
Apple Products mentioned. 2
Real names mentioned: Zero.
Real people referred to: Zero.

You are not A Free Man, you are a number.

Snoozer

Jun 8, 2011
People don't understand what Steves Jobs did at all. He did not invent a thing. What he did was to manage people, who were capable of that. He did a good job there, but that does not make him an innovator at all. The great innovators of Apple products are the unkown employes, Jobs just took all the credit.
People tell you who the greatest innovator is, they know. Most innovators aren't that famous, so you can't really expect a reasonable answer. Eddison for example is known by public, Tesla not that much. And why is Mark Zuckerberg on the list?!

I root for the guy who invented the fire.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Mimsofthedawg said:
JokerboyJordan said:
BlackStar42 said:
OK, that's just depressing. The winner is a thief who stole everything from Tesla and invented the goddamned electric chair as a marketing device. If this is for the greatest innovator of all time, why not Alan Turing or Tim Berners-Lee? I'd say what they did ranks far, far higher than making an overpriced mp3 player.
I absolutely agree with you, there are far, far, more deserving people on should be on that list.

But alas, America.
What does this have to do with America?

I'm sorry, but I sincerely believe if you asked any culture similar questions, they'd all give you totally different answers. Whats more, there would be the same complaint.

From whoever invented paper, to the printing press, to the theory of relativity, etc., "innovators" stretch across a wide range of disciplines.

I also think that hoping children are innovative in school misses the point. How about making the teachers, or better yet, their unions innovative?
I think it has more to do with the American education system perpetuating the myth that Edison was a king of inventions. Certainly not the American public's fault, but it really should be changed.

Carl The Manicorn

Jun 16, 2009
Where the hell is Testla? Pfft. MIT students obviously don't konw what the hell they are talking about. I know I'm a bit late to the party, but what the hell is this?

Canyoureadmydeadpan

Mar 14, 2011
Steve Jobs NEVER INVENTED A SINGLE THING! The guy was so clueless about technology, he once even bitched that the internal RAM components weren't pretty enough and had to have it explained to him that his computer were unable to be upgraded so no one was going to see it.

He didn't even DESIGN the things he is credited for. He APPROVED designs, but that's all. He told people what he wanted something to do, then threw a temper tantrum if it did what he asked but wasn't pretty enough.

He was a marketer and a manager. He was good at that, but claiming he was an inventor is just a straight lie.

He was lucky to meet Woz, who pretty much made everything awesome at the start of Apple. At least Gates knew how to write code.

Steve Jobs was a wanna be artist, who had no artistic talent so instead took advantage of those around him. He had ideas of what he wanted technology to do, but that makes him as much of an inventor as any 5th grader who said "sonic and mario should make a game together" is an inventor of the sonic and mario games.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
"Here we have this innovation role model who has changed the way we live and yet young people still go back to Thomas Edison," said Leigh Estabrooks who led the Lemelson-MIT Program.

Because electricity never fundamentally changed the way we lived. -.-
Also, while I may agree with many people on this forum that Nikola Tesla was indeed a brilliant man, you could always argue that without Edison, he would have never even had a field to work in.

Vigilante 989

Jan 17, 2012
So to become an innovator, you just need to steal other peoples ideas and shit and pass it off as your own in a unique way.

Gotcha

Canyoureadmydeadpan

Mar 14, 2011
My rant on Steve Jobs:

STEVE JOBS WAS A WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT HE DESERVED TO DIE!
=========================
I didn't write this immediately after he died because I was too busy laughing about his death and all the people who cried over it. It was like watch an entire restroom cry over a turd being flushed!

But why do I think he was a worthless piece of shit. Well lets clear up some misconceptions about Orphan McCancer boy:
1. HE DIDN'T INVENT SHIT! He got other people to MAKE his products for him. He is as much responsible for INVENTING his products as every fifth grader is responsible for inventing every Sonic & Mario game.

Steve Jobs didn't know how to write a single line of code and he shamelessly stole ideas all the time. Pixar was successful prior to apple acquiring it. Don't believe me? Did you know their name used to be LUCAS FILMS!

"He [Jobs] will go through a process of looking at my ideas and say, 'That's no good. That's not very good. I like that one, And later I will be sitting in the audience and he will be talking about it as if it was his idea. I pay maniacal attention to where an idea comes from, and I even keep notebooks filled with my ideas. So it hurts when he takes credit for one of my designs." - Jonathan Ive (the real inventor of all the little apple toys you enjoy)

2. HE WAS A DOUCHE BAG! He would belittle and berate people when ever he didn't get his way... YOU KNOW, WHEN HE WASN'T CRYING LIKE A LITTLE PUSSY ******! When ever he threw temper tantrums like a spoiled 7 year old, he would excuse his actions by saying "But I don't STAY mad", which is sort of like brutally raping someone and then saying "Yeah, but I don't KEEP raping them"

3. HE HATES EVERY ONE OF YOU, WAS A HUGE SUPPORTER OF SOPA (NOW PIPA) AND BELIEVES JUST BECAUSE YOU PAID A RIDICULOUS MARK UP FOR ONE OF HIS TOYS DOESN'T MEAN YOU OWN IT OR HAVE A RIGHT TO USE IT!

4. STEVE JOB WAS A GREAT JOB CREATOR... FOR CHINA! Google Foxconn, the bullshit that happens in that Chinese sweat shop could fill a whole novel. The biggest thing that stands out was when a early version of one of the iphones was leaked, the worker who leaked it mysteriously died. Even if Steve Jobs didn't order the guy dead, he continued to support Foxconn through out.

Of course, being a piece of shit isn't enough to deserve to die. So why did Steve "I denied the paternity of my first born child and made a smear campaign against the mother of my child" Jobs DESERVE to die?

He refused to get the surgery he needed to live because he "didn't want something inside of his body."
Sure he got the surgery, WHEN IT WAS TOO LATE! He died in the most perfect way, he died from thinking he knew better than everyone else and for acting like a stupid fucking child. If you are too arrogant to save your own fucking life, you deserve to die.
=================================
Steve "I'm the shittiest Zen Buddist in existence" Jobs was nothing more than a marketer and manager. I will give him credit for being a great marketer, shit he had you all believing Bill "I MOTHER FUCKING GIVE BILLIONS TO DYING KIDS AND RELEASE JARS OF MOSQUITOS TO SCARE MY INVESTORS IN TO THINKING THEY GOT MALARIA TO MAKE A POINT THAT POOR KIDS SHOULD HAVE ACCESS LIFE SAVING DRUGS" Gates was the bad guy.

Of course being a great marketer is sorta like being a great lawyer, your just good at selling your soul and lying.

What's the difference between Steve Job and a bratty little child? The child eventually grows up and acts like an adult.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
That sounds about right.

Without Steve Jobs we wouldn't have laptops, portable music players, smartphones and all other entertainment- related stuff.
But anyways, isn't Tesla some sort of plasma measurement unit, not a person? Educate yourself and learn some facts, people.
Or maybe y'all be trolling! =0

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
Who voted in this? as they need a good slapping!

OniaPL said:
That sounds about right.

Without Steve Jobs we wouldn't have laptops, portable music players, smartphones and all other entertainment- related stuff.
But anyways, isn't Tesla some sort of plasma measurement unit, not a person? Educate yourself and learn some facts, people.
Or maybe y'all be trolling! =0
wait, what!?....

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
That list is a joke. Steve Jobs was good at brand management and that is it. He wasn't a very nice guy either, I dunno why the media keeps slobbing on his knob now that he is dead.