Is Street Fighter Sexist/Racist?

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Gorrath said:
Ragsnstitches said:
*Before anyone jumps at me for "false equivalence", I'm not equating one to the other. Just iterating a point. I'm suggesting that "racism and sexism" does not stem entirely from hatred and fear. Simple ignorance towards those you are making caricatures of, even affectionate ones, can have racist/sexist connotations.
And in the case of character portrayal in media, connotation is derived from culture. The differences in culture between the U.S. and Japan mean that the connotation of certain character traits may be offensive/racist/sexist in one and not the other. This is why I think it's not a good idea to lend too much weight to accusations of racism in regards to character portrayals produced in other cultures. The whole issue with black face actually illustrates that point perfectly.
But does that mean that racism is determined by the "offender" or the those who are subject to the "offending" material (quotations to illustrate ambiguity)? It's well known that Japan had, historically, a very introverted culture and there isn't nearly as much racial mixing over there as is in America or central Europe. Consequently, much Japanese medias foreign interpretations can come across a little... indelicate. That's not a scathing criticism of Japans culture or anything of the sort. My stance has been and continues to be that intent does not always translate in execution.

People should learn that acknowledging something bad or potentially offensive does not mean damning the entire thing. Critical thought is meant to be used for precision. It's not meant to bludgeon the subject into oblivion.
Indeed, though the term potentially offensive might as well be a useless term. As far as media goes, anything and everything is potentially offensive. Acknowledging that a piece of media is potentially offensive might as well be automatic with acknowledging that said media exists. That's why I don't put much stock in people saying a thing is "offensive" or that they were "offended" by something, and doubly so when they are viewing a piece of media from a different culture through the lens of their own cultural taboos. Subjects like these are a great test of critical thought. That's why I relish them.
It's far from useless. The objective isn't to create a check list to say "don't do this", which I feel many feel this to be the case, hence accusations of nitpicking or cultural bias which often crop up, but to be critically aware of what things mean to different people, in different contexts, and with the addition of hindsight. It shouldn't negatively impact ones enjoyment of a production but unfortunately it often does.

I'm not saying that we should hold world media to any particular countries political standards. But just like we can critique a game for having janky/cumbersome mechanics to us but, conversely, is vastly preferred by the Japanese (or other) market, we can also constructively,assess the implications of a foreign world view on our culture (whatever culture that may be).

This isn't exclusive to us looking at media coming our way, but what we put out too. I mean, I'm pretty sure at least some Russian gamers are tired of shooting Russians in FPS games from the states (over simplification of a vastly complex problem).

But yeah, I agree. I like it when this conversations are discussed. Unfortunately I'm noticing all to often an attempt to shut down discussions rather then progress them, on this site at least. Apparently if no side "concedes" then nothing of value is made... I find that remarkably disheartening.

To be somewhat more dismissive, I'm finding many of the people claiming that certain criticism are "overly sensitive", are they themselves overly sensitive.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Street Fighter's characters are designed to be walking stereotypes. All of them... They are not stereotypes born out of hatred and racism, but as visual references to the characteristics.

There is the Japanese guy in the karategi, which is the closest thing the series has to a martial artist (sans balls of fire), his American friend which is pretty much the same character with a different palette (so it has the same moves), the wrestling Russian guy that is strong but slow, the Chinese girl that is weak but fast, the army guy with Top Gun glasses, the beast looking man, etc.

They are all visual stereotypes. The idea is that, just by looking at them, you can get a pretty good idea of how the character is supposed to play. Most of them come from the arcade era, where the story and motivations of the protagonists took second seat with the fact they were easily identifiable when you inserted a coin and were about to select one of them.

The truth is, it would be a pretty boring and confusing experience if they were all dressed the same. And, at least, it can be said that they are all stereotyped, not just foreigners, since the first representatives of Japan are the fat sumo, the ninja and the Karateka.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Anything can be construed as racist/sexist/homophobic/whatever if you over analyze it hard enough.

BitterLemon

Jul 10, 2013
Salad Is Murder said:
I wonder if anyone at Capcom knew that Capoeria is actually from Brazil when they made Elena, or if they were just like: "We're making a Capoeria girl so...KENYA~!"
This is not completely off, Brazil and Africa share a lot of culture because of slavery. Modern capoeira was formed in Brazil, but it's origins are from Africa. I don't know if it's from Kenya, though... brazilian slaves usually came from regions that today are Angola, Mozambique and Congo. But it's not hard to imagine a african character fighting capoeira at all, I guess.

Eamar said:
I always got the impression that it was meant affectionately. Every country has affectionate stereotypes of their own and other countries.
Can't say that a green savage beast was a very affectional way to represent brazilians, but Blanka is kind of a national symbol/joke here by now.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
BitterLemon said:
Can't say that a green savage beast was a very affectional way to represent brazilians, but Blanka is kind of a national symbol/joke here by now.
He's meant to be Brazilian? Never knew that. I don't know what I thought he was, but he did always seem out of place... I mean, is there something about Brazilians I've been missing? Because I can see the thought process behind most of the national stereotypes in Street Fighter, but not that one :p

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Zira said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Funny, I just did that. Most of the costumes I saw for the dudes added clothes, and none of them were what would reasonably be considered sexualised. This looks like the superhero argument rehashed.

Seems to me you willingly ignored all the sexualized male costumes in order to prove your point.

Because if a female character was wearing THESE costumes, no one would deny it's "sexist":

So, yeah. Those costumes aren't like the false equivalence of superheroes. Those costumes are MEANT to be sexy. If you happen to not be sexually turned on by males, then just imagine the female characters wearing the costumes in this post.

Therefore, SF4 is not sexist. Because it has the same amount of male objectification as it does with the female objectification... so males and females are equals.

Heck, I should know it better than anyone else, I repeat... being a heterosexual woman who is really bothered by sexism.

So, I'm sorry, but I just don't see the problem.
The counter argument people often use against yours is that those male designs are not meant to be sexually appealing to women, but empowering to men. That both types of character; muscular men and skimpily dressed women; are aimed at pleasing men.

I should point out that this isn't my particular view, because the concept of "power fantasy" and "sexual fantasy" is something that simply doesn't fit in with how I look at things. I didn't feel any different playing as Marcus Fenix or Lara Croft as I don't project myself onto existing characters. That's what RPG's with character creation are for in my opinion.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Almost all of the characters in Street Fighter play into some sort of stereotypes, but the game does it in a very cartoonish manner and it's not meant to be taken seriously. Think about it:

Vega: Suave Spanish guy who is very metrosexual and considers himself a beautiful ladies man
Zangief: Buff Russian wrestler with a huge beard and so much chest hair he resembles a shaved bear.
Dhalsim: Mystical Indian guy with magical powers surrounded by elephants who yells out "yoga!" when he does special moves.
Ken: Brash, arrogant American guy who thinks he's hot stuff.
Guile: Super buff American Military dude. Hell, his background looks like the set of "Top Gun"
Deejay: Doesn't he play the friggin maracas when he wins a match?
Fei Long: They may as well have just called him "Bruce Lei"
El Fuerte: A Luchador wearing a mask.
T. Hawk: I probably don't even have to explain this one.

The list goes on.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Ragsnstitches said:
But does that mean that racism is determined by the "offender" or the those who are subject to the "offending" material (quotations to illustrate ambiguity)? It's well known that Japan had, historically, a very introverted culture and there isn't nearly as much racial mixing over there as is in America or central Europe. Consequently, much Japanese medias foreign interpretations can come across a little... indelicate. That's not a scathing criticism of Japans culture or anything of the sort. My stance has been and continues to be that intent does not always translate in execution.
Well, that really depends on what definition of racism you are using. I think of racism as being discrimination based on race. Thus, it is neither the offender or the offended who determine if a thing is racist or not, it is whether someone was discriminated against. I do not equate being offended with being discriminated against, though the two might go hand in hand depending on circumstance. I find this a preferable means of judging racism as it lends itself more towards an objective view than a subjective one. Whether the way foreigners are portrayed in Japanese media is indelicate or not is also up for debate, as it seems to be culturally normal for all characters to be steeped in stereotypes. If this is something that is done to characters across the board, and not limited to specific races of people, it is not racially discriminatory and thus not racist.

It's far from useless. The objective isn't to create a check list to say "don't do this", which I feel many feel this to be the case, hence accusations of nitpicking or cultural bias which often crop up, but to be critically aware of what things mean to different people, in different contexts, and with the addition of hindsight. It shouldn't negatively impact ones enjoyment of a production but unfortunately it often does.
I am unconvinced by the usefulness of the term "potentially offensive", not because it has some ramification in the form of a checklist, but simply because nearly everything is potentially offensive to someone. Some of the most benign media has been ridiculed to death by "offended" people. If a Christian author writes a book about a fictional rapture, I don't expect him to consider whether the book is going to offend an atheist. He might be very aware that some of his ideas are potentially offensive or he may have no idea, in either case I don't expect him to care. Nor do I think J.K. Rowling should give a rat's backside about the Christians who were claiming her books were offensive. Just to be clear, I'm not arguing that content creators should make no effort to be cognizant of people's reactions to their creations, good and bad. Rather than potentially offensive, I'd ask myself if the work was discriminatory, whether it was well written, whether the characters were any good, whether it was sexist, ect.

I'm not saying that we should hold world media to any particular countries political standards. But just like we can critique a game for having janky/cumbersome mechanics to us but, conversely, is vastly preferred by the Japanese (or other) market, we can also constructively,assess the implications of a foreign world view on our culture (whatever culture that may be).
I'm not sure your comparison to game mechanics works well here. There isn't much cultural relevance or historical context for any specific game mechanic. I think the closest you might get is the JRPG, but there is no specific cultural difference that I can think of that would make Japanese people like JRPGs and Americans not like JRPGs. Not in the same way we might look at black face and see huge red flags and racial issues and they look at black face and wonder what all the fuss is about.

This isn't exclusive to us looking at media coming our way, but what we put out too. I mean, I'm pretty sure at least some Russian gamers are tired of shooting Russians in FPS games from the states (over simplification of a vastly complex problem).
I'm going to come off like an insensitive ass here, but I don't much care if Russian gamers get tired of shooting at Russians in games. Russians are just as free to make a game about shooting up Americans in thirty iterations of a bad FPS as far as I'm aware. I don't know why anyone expects the media in their own country to pander to their specific desires, let alone the media produced in a different country. What's more there are a metric ton of FPS that having nothing to do with Russians at all. I know we like to use it as an example because there seem to be a lot of bad-guy Russians in FPS games, but I've played lots of FPS games that never mentioned Russia or Russians.

I get the feeling though that your objection is probably more along the lines of how Russians might feel about constantly being portrayed as bad-guys by the West. Now that part does have historical context and cultural issues wrapped up in it. But there is a difference between expecting a content creator in the U.S. to understand the shared cultural context of U.S.-Russian relations, and expecting a Japanese studio to understand the implications of black face in an American context. Even with that said, there's no reason U.S. studios shouldn't use Russians as bad guys, even if they should consider whether the game they are making just uses a bunch of half-assed tropes and demonizes Russians as a people.

But yeah, I agree. I like it when this conversations are discussed. Unfortunately I'm noticing all to often an attempt to shut down discussions rather then progress them, on this site at least. Apparently if no side "concedes" then nothing of value is made... I find that remarkably disheartening.

To be somewhat more dismissive, I'm finding many of the people claiming that certain criticism are "overly sensitive", are they themselves overly sensitive.
My goal isn't so much to convince the person I'm speaking with to concede any given point, but just to create a dialog anyone can read and come to their own conclusions. I'm also happy to be wrong about things, as being shown to be wrong is one of the best methods for me to improve my thinking. I don't have a lot of ego wrapped up in being correct, and I find that particular issue to be one of mankind's greatest flaws.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'm going to go with 'no'. 1. There are a no pretensions to realism in Street Fighter. 2. They have the character's appearance alone to convey what the entire character is. I'm hardly surprised they go for ridiculous stereotypes. They aren't able to explain anything. 3. There are less females as a percentage because men are naturally stronger and more inclined towards fighting. 4. The females are all attractive because the audience is males.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
That's the appeal of Street Fighter's characters, pretty much.

And if you didn't play her story mode, then why wold you expect her to be a "fleshed out character"? That's like saying your chicken was disapointing when you asked for turkey (my metaphors are improving. Marginally).

If you want a game with more diverse characters, then why not try Skullgirls. Here's the story of the game's background: A guy in high school wrote and drew a world where everyone was a walking stereotype. However, through their parodying of the stereotype they were, they became fleshed out characeters with their own story. The guy met a guy who wanted to be a game developer, and after they graduated from high school, they made the game.

For several weeks, it was the best selling video game on XBOX Live. It's also got an all-female cast.

Skullgirls is probably the only fighting game in recent memory to have a cast and story more than "oh no fighting tournament" to "blargh blargh I won I rule the world and shit".

Edit: I also find it hilarious you're not complaining about the male sexualisation. I'll say it: As a bisexual whose sexuality tends to shift towards males, the entire cast of Street Fighter is like one big scoop of fanservice. That guy's shirtless. That chick just did a thing that almost ripped her thong (and she's only wearing, apparently). Zangief slash fic. Some more crap.

I suppose what I'm saying is that for males it's a power fantasy, and for female characters it's a sexual fantasy, but it can work either way; it's also one of the primary appeals of the series. I also find it hilarious that you don't comment at all on pretty much any male character, whether they be human, robot, or anthropomorphic, all of whom are equally as sexualised.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Is it racist? You bet your ass it is. Even their Japanese character is a sumo-wrestler. Is this racism a bad thing? Is it harmful? I don't think so. If anything, be mad at Cammy's bad costume design, not the sexism behind it. And Dahlism's design, although racist, is probably one of the most interesting ones of the game- from his appearance to his move set.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Gorrath said:
Ragsnstitches said:
Well, that really depends on what definition of racism you are using. I think of racism as being discrimination based on race. Thus, it is neither the offender or the offended who determine if a thing is racist or not, it is whether someone was discriminated against. I do not equate being offended with being discriminated against, though the two might go hand in hand depending on circumstance. I find this a preferable means of judging racism as it lends itself more towards an objective view than a subjective one. Whether the way foreigners are portrayed with indelicacy or not in Japanese media is also up for debate, as it seems to be culturally normal for all characters to be steeped in stereotypes. If this is something that is done to characters across the board, and not limited to specific races of people, it is not racially discriminatory and thus not racist.
That would be my definition too. However the determinant factor (discrimination) is context sensitive. Taking the OPs remark on Resident Evil 5 for example, many would argue the racist claims are people knee jerking in response to Black people being shot by a white man and ignoring the games context of zombie apocalypse and the fact there is a black character who mirrors this. But as someone on this topic already mentioned, with the added context of historical apartheid, the idea of a white (former) police man shooting "inhuman" blacks it's a tad more insensitive then just white men killing black men. Also, this isn't accounting the "tribal" sections or Shivas alternate "costume".

The developers didn't mean to draw those similarities. They wanted a different setting from Urban sprawls or Remote European villages and Africa (which at the time of development, had some mainstream interest as a result of movies like blood diamond) had a unique palette to offer that hadn't been exhausted in other games (only other game that comes to mind was Far Cry 2).

But people familiar with or affected by Apartheid can easily see these threads of thought, even if the intent wasn't there in reality. The feeling of discrimination is very real to them, despite the absence of intent.

So, do we judge whether Resident Evil is discriminatory by the Japanese developers who may not have the knowledge of apartheid consciously in mind when producing the game, or the people who upon playing the game see the similarities and draw conclusions from that? Unfortunately there is no middle ground. A 3rd party can "objectively" rule either way, saying that Capcoms (Japanese) developers did not intend for such similarities to be drawn and therefore are alleviated of "racist" accusations, or they can lean with the people affected by apartheid and say that Capcoms developers should have been more attentive with their research.

Or they can rule how I ruled, it was unintended but intention does not necessarily translate in execution.

Again, this does not account for the Tribal section and Shivas alternate "costume".

I am unconvinced by the usefulness of the term "potentially offensive", not because it has some ramification in the form of a checklist, but simply because nearly everything is potentially offensive to someone. Some of the most benign media has been ridiculed to death by "offended" people. If a Christian author writes a book about a fictional rapture, I don't expect him to consider whether the book is going to offend an atheist. He might be very aware that some of his ideas are potentially offensive or he may have no idea, in either case I don't expect him to care. Nor do I think J.K. Rowling should give a rat's backside about the Christians who were claiming her books were offensive. Just to be clear, I'm not arguing that content creators should make no effort to be cognizant of people's reactions to their creations, good and bad. Rather than potentially offensive, I'd ask myself if the work was discriminatory, whether it was well written, whether the characters were any good, whether it was sexist, ect.
Emphasis by me.

Discrimination, in a cultural sense, is inherently offensive. No matter how you swing it, the person who comes out of a discriminatory decision or action less favorably, won't feel to happy about it. So having "is it discriminatory" as a criteria to be judged leaves it open automatically to "is it offensive". You just can't separate the two.

For extra clarity, here is the definition of Discrimination I am using:
"make an unjust or prejudicial distinction in the treatment of different categories of people, especially on the grounds of race, sex, or age." I hope we don't get into semantics on this point, because the alternative meaning (recognise a distinction) is a completely vapid definition under the context of this topic.

A side note: You mentioned a Christian writing a book about the rapture. Religious dogma occupies a special area that seriously needs addressing, but not here. It doesn't just talk about things that MAY offend some people, but many writers actively propagate hate against specific groups and are, inherently, of supremacist mindsets (a devout believer who thinks that their faith is the one true faith, can't possibly "respect" another faith... it's a complete clash of ideals and an utter failure in logic). They can butter it up all they want with words of warmth, tolerance and forgiveness, but it all adds up to some seriously frustrating double think.

I'm not sure your comparison to game mechanics works well here. There isn't much cultural relevance or historical context for any specific game mechanic. I think the closest you might get is the JRPG, but there is no specific cultural difference that I can think of that would make Japanese people like JRPGs and Americans not like JRPGs. Not in the same way we might look at black face and see huge red flags and racial issues and they look at black face and wonder what all the fuss is about.
I think you misunderstand, I must have conferred it poorly. I didn't mean to say game mechanics are culturally or historically significant, but rather that there is a distinct difference between preferred systems between different countries, specifically when it comes to North American/European preferences compared to most of Asia. That certainly has some cultural context, but that wasn't my point. My point is we don't just say "well it's made by the Japanese and that's what they like", we (in a very general sense) are often very critical of Japanese game design based off of what we are more comfortable with. In the same sense, we shouldn't just go "ah well, they are Japanese and therefore they are culturally different to us so any cultural commentary on their games from a western viewpoint is invalid" (I know that's not what you are saying).

Also, let me clarify, this goes BOTH ways. I feel like I'm starting to rail on Japan when I really don't intend to.

I'm going to come off like an insensitive ass here, but I don't much care if Russian gamers get tired of shooting at Russians in games. Russians are just as free to make a game about shooting up Americans in thirty iterations of a bad FPS as far as I'm aware. I don't know why anyone expects the media in their own country to pander to their specific desires, let alone the media produced in a different country. What's more there are a metric ton of FPS that having nothing to do with Russians at all. I know we like to use it as an example because there seem to be a lot of bad-guy Russians in FPS games, but I've played lots of FPS games that never mentioned Russia or Russians.

I get the feeling though that your objection might more be along the lines of how Russians might feel about constantly being portrayed as bad-guys by the West. Now that part does have historical context and cultural issues wrapped up in it. But there is a difference between expecting a content creator in the U.S. to understand the shared cultural context of U.S.-Russian relations, and expecting a Japanese studio to understand the implications of black face in an American context. Even with that said, there's no reason U.S. studios shouldn't use Russians as bad guys, even if they should consider whether the game they are making just uses a bunch of half-assed tropes and demonizes Russians as a people.
Just want to catch this as it could snowball:

"there's no reason U.S. studios shouldn't use Russians as bad guys"

I never meant to claim otherwise. The only thing I'm advocating is critical awareness and critical thought. I would say the freedom of the artist/creators trumps all else. Even a horrendous bigot could make the most disgusting crap and I won't clamor for censorship. However, I will comment on it in a very unflattering way (no consideration towards others means no consideration from me).

My goal isn't so much to convince the person I'm speaking with to concede any given point, but just to create a dialog anyone can read and come to their own conclusions. I'm also happy to be wrong about things, as being shown to be wrong is one of the best methods for me to improve my thinking. I don't have a lot of ego wrapped up in being correct, and I find that particular issue to be one of mankind's greatest flaws.
I know, I was making a minor commentary on how these topics play out on these forums (and the web in general really). It was by no means directed towards you. Now that I think about it, it was a completely asinine comment. It was venting, pure and simple.

Note for @Gorrath: It's getting late here and I likely won't be on here for much longer. I'll read your response, but depending on what I have to do tomorrow I may not get around to responding to it (at least not comprehensively). If I don't get back to it, don't feel dismayed like I'm abandoning the discussion. I have a very short attention span when it comes to forum discussions and I might have lost my train of thought. Good talk otherwise.

Highlandheadbanger

Jan 8, 2009
The Crispy Tiger said:
Don't get me wrong here, with the hour I spent playing Street Fighter, I had a fucking blast. It was badass. I loved playing it. But I also felt dirty for enjoying it. I don't know guys, What is your opinion? I'd love to hear it.
Speaking as a man who grew up with the Street Fighter series my whole life and a devoted fan, I can at least admit what you say is a valid sentiment, don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

I recognize that the characters are all stereotypes for the most part, but this was a product of the early 90s which was a much less mature period in the gaming industry. Fighting games from back then generally put little effort into story and tried to use stock characters and broad (at times even offensive) cultural and ethnic stereotypes as shorthands for character personalities and back-story.

Furthermore a majority of the characters were created by Japanese developers, who come from a largely homogenous country that lacks much foreign interaction (there are some stories about the developers having to model some of the White characters off people visiting from the North American QA and regionalization offices because the artists didn't know how to draw white people!)

That all said, there are some things that are kinda inexcusable, like the Turkish Wrestler Hakaan who has bright red skin and curly blue hair that makes him look like a martian. If you find something offensive, its not your job to accept it for the sake of people who don't find it offensive, its deplorable what some people on these forums say.

I still love the series despite it all and try to not think to much about it.

Funny story on the topic though: When Super Street Fighter 2 was being made and the American Capcom offices made the somewhat stereotypical Jamaican Kickboxer Dee-Jay, it was after they had scrapped an idea for a more "diverse" Black character that had been proposed by the Japanese offices. When the concept art was sent to the US for approval, the lead American designer took one look at it, and was so offended by it he ripped it to shreds and got part of his creative team to work designing a new character immediately! XD

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
CaptainMarvelous said:
Hell, there already IS a magic fortune telling girl, her name's Rose...
Oh I know, the joke was that the character already existed.

Look, personally I think the whole concept of racism is ridiculous. There are so many reasons to hate people that don't have anything to do with how much UV radiation their body doesn't feel like dealing with. After all, asshole knows no creed, color, religion or socioeconomic standing. But, and this is important here, I'm not everyone. I know that there are a lot of people to whom these types of racism can be offensive and hurtful, and there are too many people who would use it as a weapon to hurt others.

A lot of this is just visual shorthand to attach traits and what not to characters that are not going to be well developed (largely due to the nature of the game) but it's lazy design and Capcom has been getting away with it for far too long.

One of them was spot on, though. Every time I visit Brazil it's like I'm at a Blanka family reunion.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
The Crispy Tiger said:
As a black man, Capcom has done some stuff to piss me off. IE. Resident Evil 5. But I don't think that they come from a place of hate. To quote Yahtzee, "They're just idiots!". I love them, but damn it, they can be really fucking stupid sometimes. Recently my library just got Street Fighter 4, so I played it with my little sister, this is my first Street Fighter experience, AND I have never heard of any other characters besides Ryu. So I pick the black guy in every fighter I get to and I get to Dhalsim. And he looks fucking crazy... I eventually figured out he was Indian not black, but he still looks like a huge stereotype.

Then we get to Cammy...

And fucking hell, right then and there I just figured out my sister is going to be a feminist...
Cammy's main attribute (besides me kicking ass with her character every time) is her as-athletic abilities. And also that booty don't lie!

But seriously, I Cammy also looks crazy as shit too. I have no problem with women being sexy in games as long as they can also be fleshed out, fully realized, 3 dimensional characters, but this is FUCKING Capcom. I didn't play the story, and maybe she's the best female character since Jade from Beyond Good and Evil, but something makes me doubt that.

Don't get me wrong here, with the hour I spent playing Street Fighter, I had a fucking blast. It was badass. I loved playing it. But I also felt dirty for enjoying it. I don't know guys, What is your opinion? I'd love to hear it.
You know, this is one of the reasons why most video game characters are white males. From a perspective of risk having your main character be anything but a white man is dangerous. Because people will complain in general terms about white washing in video games but they will go for your throat if they think you are racist or sexist. If you choose a white man you are free to make an interesting character using minor stereotypes and assumed traits as a short cut, which is vitally important in a medium in which so little time can be devoted to character development. Not so with any other possibility. Because if you make a misstep the internet will jump at you and your game and your company will be forever tagged as "sexist" or "racist." And you often wont know that what you are doing is a misstep until you have made it. So you spend tons of time and money doing your best to avoid a controversy, knowing that there is still a good chance you made a mistake. Or you make a white guy.

Gamers, in our zeal to cut down racism and sexism in gaming, have ensured that one of the most dangerous things a developer can do is embrace diversity.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
so quick to play the race card... everything has the potential to be offensive to someone.. if your sister don't like Cammy's fine ass or the weird Dhalism, then don't play it. simple as that.. but don't play the overused race or sexist cards

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Zira said:
As for the racist thing. It's not racist. It's playful stereotyping.
What exactly is the difference? There's no reason racism can't be playful, but playful racism is still racism. In fact I think you'll find lots of racist movies and cartoons from the past were trying to be comedic and lighthearted in tone, which only makes them seem all the more vile today.

Japanese don't associate stereotyping with racism the way Americans do. To them, it's two separate things. If they show T.Hawk as a generic big nature-loving Indian, or if every Chinese character ever has to be a chef, they don't mean anything bad with it.
Just because racism isn't hateful, that doesn't make it stop being racism, and I also don't prescribe to the kind of moral relativism that says we should tolerate racial stereotyping because the Japanese do.