Is 'The C Word' Sexist?

Ben Fell

Nov 14, 2012
I went to a uni lecture once, it was about the word **** :p The lecturer (who is a feminist by the way)said she found the word vagina more offensive, this because in Latin the direct meaning for vagina is literally sheath or scabbard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagina) pretty much implying a place to withdraw and enter a penis! Where the word **** just means the female genitalia!

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Tbh female genitalia aren't that bad so for me calling someone a **** is only as bad as calling someone a fucker, cock, dick, etc.

But in Britain I think we're grown up enough to understand that words mean fuck all and only stones and lawsuits break your bones

EDIT: Oh I think it CAN be used as a sexist word just as any word can if you're using the word because of a persons gender, otherwise calling someone a cock would be the second worst insult in the English dictionary.

Personally I prefer the word Custard, a beautiful combination of **** and Bastard that always gets your point across..

TTYTYTTYYTTYTTTY

Feb 26, 2011
Mr F. said:
You have gone far too long nose deep in books, you should really just get up and actually learn. A book only highlights things or allows for easy memorization, true learning comes from actual hands on practice (in your case talking to a vast majority of people from different cultures in person).

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
I don't get how a word is sexist.

It's pretty disgusting, but I'm not convinced it's particularly derogatory to women.

People may use it as such, but the word itself is pretty innocent.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
It's sexist in the vague way that you're calling someone a bit of female anatomy and it could be argued that it is just as sexist as calling someone a bit of male anatomy (ie 'dick).

However, the mere fact that '****' is considered a stronger swear word than 'dick' may suggest a degree of sexism if the reason being is that female anatomy is somehow considered a more offensive thing to be called. (This seems likely considering the history of insults like 'you big girl' but that's not definitive proof.) On the other hand, it might be considered stronger simply because it has a harsher sound. Or, maybe it's a matter of usage - 'dick' has been used so much for so long that it no longer has as much shock value.

Some might argue that there is sexism inherent in the history of male confusion/distaste for female genitalia. From olden-day beliefs that women shouldn't enjoy sex to Yahtzee's coined "rancid spam sandwiches", the '****' tends to be viewed in a way that the 'dick' isn't. So, to clarify, '****' isn't sexist but the culture which uses it as a slur might be.

I've never heard of it being a gender-specific swear word, though. :) I call people cunts regardless of their equipment!

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Ben Fell said:
I went to a uni lecture once, it was about the word **** :p The lecturer (who is a feminist by the way)said she found the word vagina more offensive, this because in Latin the direct meaning for vagina is literally sheath or scabbard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagina) pretty much implying a place to withdraw and enter a penis! Where the word **** just means the female genitalia!
Hah, that's funky. :)

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
**** can be sexist, depending on how you are using it, whether you are directing at a woman, and whether you are insulting her because of her gender. Like the word ******, it depends a lot on conviction and context.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Mr F. said:
Of course you wouldn't debate him. Physics is hard-form, language is far more nebulous. Gravity is what it is because it is what it is, and "****" is only definitivly offensive if we uniformly decide it is, which we clearly don't. Our choice of words might say something about us, but the flip of that is obviously that our interpretation does the same thing. Judgement feels a little arbitrary.

The problem I have with a literalist view on language and definitions is that I think it assumes that we're all stupid. I think that modern humour is sophisticated in ways that makes a mockery of literalism.

For the sake of clarification, is "prick" a sexist term? Am I being sexist if I call someone a "ball-bag"?
Given what he said, if I had to guess, he'd claim it's different, especially since he said he was tired of arguing and to go read some Judith Butler. In essence, I suspect the argument would be able to be summarized as "It's different because patriarchy."

You know because epithets referring to penises, male masturbation, or semen in an inherently derogatory light aren't sexist because they don't upset the designated victim class.

I do have one question for Mr. F though -- do you ascribe to the idea that a word being used in a single sexist/racist/homophobic/ableist/whatever definition permanently taints the word?

A great example of this is "fag" -- it's literally meant everything from "sticks" to "stick-picker" to "burden" to "burdensome woman" to "homosexual", out of every epithet it's certainly covered the broadest spread of intended meanings while holding on to the general concept of "something bad". So, does the fact that it's been used to refer to homosexuals permanently make the word homophobic?

FalloutJack said:
Whelp, Mr. F didn't get a warning for being a deliberate irritant towards me.
I didn't see anything he wrote that I'd expect mod wrath from. It's *really* not hard to stay inside the lines as far as things mods will warn you for. To the point that it amazes me when people do -- if you just keep your head it's not difficult at all.

Lord Kloo said:
Personally I prefer the word Custard, a beautiful combination of **** and Bastard that always gets your point across..
Um...err...I'm pretty sure it doesn't. In large part because it's also a tasty sweet made from eggs and cream.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Schadrach said:
I felt differently. Or rather, I felt that if an obtuse person wanted words to be such a great sting, that his own words should condemn him, or not. Frankly, if it was instigating enough, then he'd suffer for it. And if not, he's wrong. A practical demonstration of my statement. Hell, you not finding him particularly offensive even doubles the proof when you think about it. So, we're in agreement then? **** isn't sexist and words only scratch the surface of the human psyche?

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
Earlier today I learned there is an actual game called 'the C-word'. From the few seconds of footage I saw (it was a documentary about several other Indie games) it was about a disembodied penis trying to come on a c-word covered in blood. As in 'dear-lord-she's-gonna-die' levels of blood.

I say this because I thought this was the game the thread was talking about (despite having posted here before) and I just want to say in response to both questions: no, the c-word is not sexist. It's just GROSS as fuck.

(and if you're honestly worried about being sexist towards someone you probably don't hate them enough to use the word anyway)

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Ahri said:
I don't get how a word is sexist.

It's pretty disgusting, but I'm not convinced it's particularly derogatory to women.

People may use it as such, but the word itself is pretty innocent.
Similar to how a word can be racist, really.

Though I think the chief difference is that society has had enough time to reflect on words like ****** or coon, so it can properly appreciate that they are racist words you shouldn't use. Meanwhile, **** and ***** are still going through that stage in which much of the populace are still using them and think they are acceptable. I imagine that will eventually change, so it might be worth avoiding them whilst you are ahead.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Froggy Slayer said:
I'm not going to mill around. This thread is about the word ****.

I've seen a lot of people get incredibly offended by the word **** being used as an insult. Obviously, it's a very strong word, but the people who dislike it that much usually say that it is sexist. Being British, I believe these people to be wrong, but I would like some bloody Yanks to explain to me how sexist it really is over there, for I have heard conflicting reports.

Any people of differing nationalities may also give perspective on how **** is used in their nation.
it isnt really so much sexiest, as much as it is just overall foul.

You have the right to say it, but i reserve the right to wash your mouth out with soap.

Insertclevername

Apr 17, 2013
No. Using vulgar words for genitalia to insult someone isn't necessarily sexist. They're just crude insults. It's the meaning behind it's use that can potentially earn that connotation.

Something like the "N-word" is much different as it's roots and whole purpose is to oppress Black people. Same goes for other racist remarks.

"****" is just something you say to someone when they're being...a ****. It just happens to be used more often on Women; just like how "Dick" is used more often on men. But fuck it, I call dudes cunts all the time.

Slitzkin

Jul 3, 2011
Not in Australia. The country where everyone is a ****. We have them all: dumb cunts, stupid cunts, ugly cunts, smart cunts, foreign cunts, fucked cunts, sick cunts, mad cunts, cool cunts, clever cunts, hot cunts, and the rest.

So in the gist of things, we love the word '****' and maybe just maybe it's slowly replacing the word 'mate'. I hope not because I love calling people 'mate'.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Well...My perspective on it is sort of an amalgam of ideas I've been presented with over the years.

Refer to these videos for my feeling on the matter:

and primarily

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Not really.

If someone's a ****, then their gender shouldn't really come into play. If they're a ****, then they're a ****.