Is 'The C Word' Sexist?

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
Bug MuIdoon said:
Harker067 said:
If you go looking at both official dictionaries (and even informal ones like urban dic) you repeatedly see **** as referring both to female genitals but also just "a woman". As it's been popular enough to make it into the dictionary I'd call it fair to say ****=women is another definition.
Oxford English Dictionary:

noun
vulgar slang

1. A woman?s genitals.
2. An unpleasant or stupid person.

Nothing untoward there in regards to being a female.

I read a few other 'unofficial' dictionaries too, and yes some of them pointed towards: Usually disparaging & obscene : woman

I don't really see where it's set in stone as **** = Woman. So jumping on that theory and defending it skin and teeth seems a little odd to me. I'm sure people believe that definition, and some unofficial sources may state that, but that's just different people opinions on the word. Which kind of leads me back to the argument of many other posters, The word is only sexist to people who feel it's sexist, and the way the word is used.

Harker067 said:
Far too often I see **** used on a woman to get her to shut up or on a man similar to pussy for doing something "unmanly". Maybe you have a distinctly different experience with the usage of the word but that's what I've seen.
Ah, I see. I'm not sure where you're from, but (from my experiences) in the U.K I've never heard it said to mean the same thing as pussy, It's just an insult towards someone you find unpleasant. It has no gender specific connotation.

So, if it doesn't have an official origin towards sexism, and over here in the U.K it has no gender attachment but over in the U.S (Sorry, I'm just guessing you're from the U.S?) it does, then which is correct? Surely it just falls back to the argument that it depends on where and how it's used.

One thing I did find quite interesting that I wasn't aware of, which maybe most feminists are (I don't know), is the origin of Vagina.

While **** (Cunnus, Coynte, Kunta, kunte, con, coño, cona) was just a name given to the entire female genitalia with no further meaning, Vagina actually means 'Sword-sheath'! I find it weird that the far less "offensive" word is surely the far sexist.

Please poke me if none of this makes any sense, It's very late and I'm tired, ha ha
Obviously nothing is set in stone with language it is always changing. I don't know that I'd call say Merriam-Webster unofficial (urban dic sure though) which includes woman as a definition. I should maybe clarify I'm speaking solely to using it as an insult or a term of disparagement. I also have no problem with the term being used in some situations (consensual kink scenes for example).

I haven't heard it used exactly like pussy but with similar intent (I'm Canadian). Actually the problem with pussy is not its origins or even directly with being scared but more broadly that it is often used by men to admonish men for not being "Manly" enough. That is really very sexist.

Unfortunately for you and other Brits it has a strong gender to a lot of English speakers. If you want to get along well in an international environment like the internet other people can have different backgrounds and some of them can actually be hurt by the words you choose to use (ex people who've lived through abusive relationships). I had a girl friend who could be literally moved to tears from just hearing the word "****"*. You and everyone else here are free to use these words no one is forcing you not to but myself and others aren't going to think very well of you for it.

I'm sorry this is late I honestly have very little tolerance for these discussions and spread my participation farther out.

* if someone says/thinks well that's her problem it doesn't affect me that's a really callous attitude

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
chuckdm said:
Muspelheim said:
...I do use cocksucker as one of my top tier swears, and I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with that activity whatsoever. I might be slightly hypocritical on that point.

*SNIP*

But as the "cocksucker"-example above shows, I've still got some ironing out to do...
No, this isn't hypocritical, and here's why: only a female has a vagina, and only a male has a penis, but both have a mouth and are fully capable of performing the sexual act that "cocksucker" references. Accordingly, it isn't sexist. Rude (though that is the point) but not sexist.
I'm really not sure someone can juggle this really isn't an insulting action in my mind but I'm going to use it as an insult. But cocksucker usually more of a homophobic insult.

If you're using an insult there's an unstated premise that what ever you are saying is an undesirable action, object, state etc. When it comes to cocksucker it mean you think sucking cocks is insulting, demeaning or generally bad thing. When used on a man there's an certain implication that he is not acting masculine enough or a general questioning of his masculinity. This is because a lot of society and male voices have decreed being sexually interested in women to be an important part of being "manly/masculine". You could probably continue with an argument that men valuing the appearence of being "masculine" over "feminine" there's a value judgement in there that is also sexist.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Bug MuIdoon said:
TehCookie said:
You do know that **** does have a direct connotation to vagina and is used to say that's the only important part of a woman. That's more sexist than saying women are more scared than men.
It doesn't, that's just conjecture. See Harker067's and my posts on the previous page.

Cpt. Lozan said:
The word pussy originates from the Latin term Pusillanimous which means to show cowardice.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pusillanimous

So, no, the term pussy is NOT sexist.
Awesome, thank you :]

neither **** nor pussy is sexist in origin. I still find it funny that vagina is!
And a ****** is a bundle of sticks and gay means happy.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
TehCookie said:
Bug MuIdoon said:
TehCookie said:
You do know that **** does have a direct connotation to vagina and is used to say that's the only important part of a woman. That's more sexist than saying women are more scared than men.
It doesn't, that's just conjecture. See Harker067's and my posts on the previous page.

Cpt. Lozan said:
The word pussy originates from the Latin term Pusillanimous which means to show cowardice.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pusillanimous

So, no, the term pussy is NOT sexist.
Awesome, thank you :]

neither **** nor pussy is sexist in origin. I still find it funny that vagina is!
And a ****** is a bundle of sticks and gay means happy.
Don't forget cigarettes!

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
In Britain "****" is gender neutral, in fact, in general, the only swears that are considered sexist are ones relating to prostitution, mainly because unless you are using a swear in a situation that the gender is an intrinsic part of the swear (eg, whore), the fact that you're swearing in anger implies that the anger is directed at the subject of the swear, and not at anything else. (and ones related to sexual organs are usually used in jest)

put simply, it's the intent that holds the offense, not the word itself, if it's being used in a friendly way, it isn't sexist in any way, if it's due to anger, the fact you swore in anger is the real offense, if you use it specifically because it relates to a body part, yes, it's sexist, because you're using it to BE sexist.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
dunam said:
Using unofficial dictionaries like urban dictionary, is kinda like using a forum post as a refference. Might as well not use a refference at all.
Yeah, If you read the rest of my post, or even one sentence below the one you quoted you would see that was my point exactly.