Is the idea that TV is a step down from film still common?

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I occasionally see this opinion pop up and was wondering if other people see it regularly.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Honestly how have no idea. I know it used to be the case but with streaming becoming huge and streaming companies commissioning their own shows with notable budgets perhaps the feeling is shifting a bit? I have nothing to back that up though.

Especially shows like Game of Thrones and such that get talked about for far longer than the average film does.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I occasionally see this opinion pop up and was wondering if other people see it regularly.
Not anymore. With more and more TV shows get the high budget or near budget the equivalent of films, and many successful shows, that notion is more or less gone. The only ones who think that are old farts, out of touch people, and a couple of contrarians who wants views or clicks.

Reactions: Dalisclock

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Stuff like Hannibal and Breaking Bad (Black Mirror too, maybe? There's definitely more than I'm remembering right now) have proven you can get better storytelling and production qualities than most film if you have the collective talent and resources.

Ringo

Jul 12, 2007
Country
Canada
I think TV is absolutely a step down from film. It's not as steep as a step as it used to be for sure, but TV is still a corporate venture and it feels like it. Twin Peaks is excellent, but it's maybe the only TV I've seen that felt exciting.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Not so much anymore. The presence of some really major league actors in TV over the last few years is rapidly bringing the perception down. That said, I also think that it still exists to some extent, as there clearly are a class of high salary movie actors not doing TV.

I think TV is absolutely a step down from film. It's not as steep as a step as it used to be for sure, but TV is still a corporate venture and it feels like it. Twin Peaks is excellent, but it's maybe the only TV I've seen that felt exciting.
I think one of the things that has really changed here is that TV has become quite a lot more adventurous since the HBO-led revolution years ago, and the format allows for forms of storytelling films can't accomplish, which can be attractive to quite a lot of top talent.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Especially shows like Game of Thrones and such that get talked about for far longer than the average film does.
Like how the ending sucked and nobody liked it and 20 year old battle scenes from Lord of the Rings still look better than anything GoT ever whipped up?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Like how the ending sucked and nobody liked it and 20 year old battle scenes from Lord of the Rings still look better than anything GoT ever whipped up?
That in particular, but prior to season 8 it was heavily discussed for a lot of other reasons too.

The final season just ensured it's ultimate legacy would be for a very different reason.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
That in particular, but prior to season 8 it was heavily discussed for a lot of other reasons too.

The final season just ensured it's ultimate legacy would be for a very different reason.
I also had 8 seasons, though, just being long running ensures it's talked about for a long time. Not many movie franchises get stretched out to 8 films (barring ones already established).

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I don't think so. TV shows nowadays have the advantage of doing multi-seasonal storytelling rather than stand-alone episodes, so they can go into greater depth than a movie can. That, and the production values aren't too far removed either.

Better than anything? Really?

I'd put the Siege of Castle Black at the end of season 4 as being pretty on par, and Hardhome (at the end of season 5) is an exquisite blend of action and horror.

Siege of Winterfell in season 8 was a bit of a shitshow, I'll grant you.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I think it's pretty dead. Cinema is getting worse and more geared towards the lowest common denominator in order to bring in tickets and tv studios are making bank on risky investments both on TV series and indie film so a lot of breakout indie films are skipping Cinema altogether and going straight to streaming. Authors are getting better deals on tv adaptations that are much fairer to their work than film.

For whatever reason "Boss Level" comes to mind. That was meant to go theaters but Hulu bought it and it's been a big hit for them and well really well received.

Alan Moore's first feature length film "The Show" appears to be going straight to streaming and is expected to be a big hit.