Is the PS3 version of Batman Arkham City "superior"?

DefinitelyPsychotic

Apr 21, 2011
Metacritic and GameRankings rated the PS3 version of Arkham City slightly higher than its Xbox 360 counterpart, and I am curious as to why.

So everyone, do you think that --from what we've seen and heard so far-- the PS3 version of Arkham City is slightly superior to the Xbox 360 version, and, if so, why?

EDIT: Thank-you to everyone who actually tried to answer my question, instead of criticizing my grammar and being a smartass.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
I think one of my friends mentioned that because of it's Steam support PS3 get DLC at the same time as Steam and for the same price. I'm really not sure though.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Different versions are reviewed by different publications, you wouldn't see an Official Playstation Magazine review in the Xbox 360 average, and these publications probably gave different scores which would affect the average.

Magicmad5511 said:
I think one of my friends mentioned that because of it's Steam support PS3 get DLC at the same time as Steam and for the same price. I'm really not sure though.
The Steam support for the PS3 only affects Valve games, all other DLC is handled through the PlayStation Network as usual. If I recall correctly the Portal 2 DLC was also handled by the PSN, not Steam. Steam is only really there for cross-platform play and seeing your Steam friends.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
DefinitelyPsychotic said:
Now, before everybody gets all riled up, that is a question I'm asking. I'm not stating it as fact.
Then why didn't you word it as a question? You wrote a statement and then just tacked on a question mark at the end. Move the "is" to the front and add a "the" behind it, that's all you had to do. "Is the PS3 version of Batman Arkham City superior?" Easy.

As for why the review scores are a little higher on PS3, why don't you look at who gave the scores and actually try reading the reviews for yourself and see if they say anything? Basically it sounds like you want us to read the reviews for you and report back so you don't have to read them. Really, this is a question you can quite easily answer on your own.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I don't know. I remember when Arkham Asylum came out the PS3 users got to play as the Joker, I don't know if there's a crazy deal like that again with Arkham City.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
because Sony will pay for better publicity than what they have been recently getting?

DefinitelyPsychotic

Apr 21, 2011
mjc0961 said:
Now, before everybody gets all riled up, that is a question I'm asking. I'm not stating it as fact.
Then why didn't you word it as a question? You wrote a statement and then just tacked on a question mark at the end. Move the "is" to the front and add a "the" behind it, that's all you had to do. "Is the PS3 version of Batman Arkham City superior?" Easy.

As for why the review scores are a little higher on PS3, why don't you look at who gave the scores and actually try reading the reviews for yourself and see if they say anything? Basically it sounds like you want us to read the reviews for you and report back so you don't have to read them. Really, this is a question you can quite easily answer on your own.
Ah, it appears, ladies and gentlemen, that we have another smartass Grammar Nazi on our hands.

Nobody is perfect. People like you should eventually come to understand that.

I obviously like to hear other people's opinions. Is there something wrong with that? I read the reviews and still didn't see why they gave the PS3 version a higher rating, so I wanted to know if anybody else knew why.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Metacritic and GameRankings rated the PS3 version of Arkham City slightly higher than its Xbox 360 counterpart, and I am curious as to why.

So everyone, do you think that --from what we've seen and heard so far-- the PS3 version of Arkham City is slightly superior to the Xbox 360 version, and, if so, why?
If you had made the thread title:

"Is the PS3 version of Batman Arkham City "superior"?"

then you wouldn't need to start the opening post with:

"Now, before everybody gets all riled up, that is a question I'm asking. I'm not stating it as fact."

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
mjc0961 said:

Ah, it appears, ladies and gentlemen, that we have another smartass Grammar Nazi on our hands.

I obviously like to hear other people's opinions. Is there something wrong with that? I read the reviews and still didn't see why they gave the PS3 version a higher rating, so I wanted to know if anybody else knew why.
One does not need to be "perfect" to correctly type a question. I think you wanted to get attention with the thread title and then as soon as people are in the thread, you back off. Are you a journalist by chance?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Slightly smoother framerate, I imagine. Maybe slightly better lighting too.
-that. the game is being played on faster hardware, that's all.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I don't know if that's the case, but I do know that the PC version has been called "the definitive version" by Rocksteady itself. Also, in all likelihood, it'll be getting all the DLC for free. Sounds to me like the PC version is superior to everything else.

DefinitelyPsychotic

Apr 21, 2011
Crono1973 said:
mjc0961 said:

One does not need to be "perfect" to correctly type a question. I think you wanted to get attention with the thread title and then as soon as people are in the thread, you back off. Are you a journalist by chance?
Like I always say, when people make assumptions, they are usually wrong. I created this thread to hopefully find somebody that would answer my question. And no, I'm not a journalist.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Crono1973 said:
mjc0961 said:

Like I always say, when people make assumptions, they are usually wrong. I created this thread to hopefully find somebody that would answer my question. And no, I'm not a journalist.
If you want someone to answer your question, then ask one. I don't think anyone here has played the game though since it hasn't released yet so how could anyone answer you without referring back to reviews that you could just read yourself.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
And now I just want review scores to go away even more. There's a three point difference. That's nothing.

But if you want to know why there is a difference:
-Most of the time, reviewers are given the 360 version of a multiplatform game as the review copy. This is reflected in the number of reviews for the 360 version (27) compared to the number of reviews for the PS3 version (10). A few notable review outlets that are listed in the game's 360 Metacritic page, but not the PS3 page: Wired, Eurogamer, Giant Bomb, Joystiq, Edge.

-Platform-specific publications will only show up for that platforms Metacritic page. So you see Playstation Official Magazine Australia (who gave the game a score of 100) for the PS3 version and Official Xbox Magazine UK (score: 90) for the 360 version, adding to any discrepancy. Reading through the Official Xbox Magazine UK, I see no mention of technical issues specific to the 360. It's highly likely that the difference in scores between each platform's publication is due to good old individual differences.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Other than the fact the ps3 is that little bit more powerful, bonus features not in the xbox version?

DefinitelyPsychotic

Apr 21, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Crono1973 said:
mjc0961 said:

If you want someone to answer your question, then ask one. I don't think anyone here has played the game though since it hasn't released yet so how could anyone answer you without referring back to reviews that you could just read yourself.
Maybe they noticed something in the review that I didn't. Really, you trying to argue over this is truly ridiculous.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Crono1973 said:
Crono1973 said:
mjc0961 said:

Maybe they noticed something in the review that I didn't. Really, you trying to argue over this is truly ridiculous.
I dislike sensationalist headlines.

DefinitelyPsychotic

Apr 21, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Crono1973 said:
Crono1973 said:
mjc0961 said:

Hey, and so does the next guy. Get over it.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Crono1973 said:
Crono1973 said:
Crono1973 said:
mjc0961 said:

Hey, and so does the next guy. Get over it.
I don't want to get over it. Tell you what, you learn to make a question that doesn't look like a sensationalist headline and I won't need to get over it.