Is the Xbox one going to die a slow and painful death

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I think I'd like it to but no, not going to happen. It has exclusives, and now that the Kinect is optional, more buying choice. I feel like the worst of the damage has been done by now and it is far from dead. Personally just having observed the attitudes on display during the early stages of the console by Microsoft has turned me off Xbox pretty much forever, but as we all know, it's only a small portion of people who take it that seriously. Now that the Xbone is to the general public a comparable offering to the PS4, I think the gap will close somewhat. They've still missed a lot of sales and lost a few fans, but they don't look to be in terrible shape.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
PS4 sales are truly impressive. They show a great deal of pent up demand. Wii U is doing OK. Unlike the Sega Dreamcast, anyone that owns a Wii U is likley going to be buying their first party titles. Their games sales are likely doing quite well.

This is a lousy graph to this extent: why are Vita sales at twice XB1's, but only 1/2 as high visually?

I love this stuff. I have a PS4 and Wii U. To date, I have no desire for even a $400 XB1. For my household, they have a major problem.

Willstown

Borderline Crazy Cat Man
Nov 20, 2013
It may not be matching the PS4 sales, but it's not like the there's not been take up of the console at all. Neither console has managed to bring many new IPs to market yet, with the exception of Titanfall. It's mostly new editions of existing titles.

The next Halo title is likely to massively ramp up sales and perhaps balance things up a bit.

The market is plenty big enough for 2 major console manufacturers to exist in, competition is generally good for the consumer. Nintendo as always goes its own way and isn't set up to directly tussle with the 2 other brands.

Unless another console drops on the market to compete, neither of the two current gen providers are going anywhere.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Well how many months do I still have to wait for The order? or how about drive club. I get ps4 sold more but I don't need last years Pc titles, Especially when they can put them on the vita :)

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Last i knew it was doing fine, just not as well as the PS4. Its not going to die but it wont be leading this generation, atleast not any time soon.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
Now that the Xbox One has removed most of the things that turned people away (always on online, mandatory Kinect, costing $100 more than the PS4), I think it has a good chance of catching up to the PS4 if it offers better games?and exclusives like Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive sure have my attention.

Now, I don't have either console, and I don't feel terribly compelled to buy either one until they become fully backwards-compatible with the last console generation. I would gladly pay extra for an X1 or PS4 that let me play my X360/PS3 games without having to stream them or jump through a bunch of hoops. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat. Sony or Microsoft stand to gain a lot if they can find a way to squeeze the last-gen hardware into the current-gen consoles (emulation is out of the question).

dragonet111

Nov 12, 2013
Gorfias said:
PS4 sales are truly impressive. They show a great deal of pent up demand. Wii U is doing OK. Unlike the Sega Dreamcast, anyone that owns a Wii U is likley going to be buying their first party titles. Their games sales are likely doing quite well.

This is a lousy graph to this extent: why are Vita sales at twice XB1's, but only 1/2 as high visually?

I love this stuff. I have a PS4 and Wii U. To date, I have no desire for even a $400 XB1. For my household, they have a major problem.
The vita is sized with the 3DS, I agree visually it's a bad graph they could have clearly separate handheld devices and home consoles.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Gorfias said:
Because the bars represent the percentage of the market.
PS Vita is in the handlheld market, which is a separate thing on this graph.

I remember reading something about XBOX ONE getting ready for it's launch in China, making it the ONLY current gen console on that market because the other ones are apparently banned and have been for the past 2 decades or so.
I think they will sell a few consoles there.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Well it all comes down to games now. Which I'd (personally) say the Xbox One has over the PS4. Certainly has more than the Wii U, considering it actually gets most third-party offerings. So no, I don't think it'll be a "Wii U 2", and I highly disagree that it seems like it.
If you think the PS4 or Xbone have more worthwhile games than the Wii U, you're not paying attention.
Wii U has more than both of them COMBINED right now.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Where the PS4 and Xbone are concerned....I see no argument whatsoever for the Xbone.
It's just a PS4 that's worse in every respect, and you can already buy $300 PS4s if you shop smart, so it's STILL $100 more expensive.

The only vague upside it has is that it's the only console with Titanfall, but Titanfall is better on PC.
Sooo....yea...

That said, neither console has any games that are worth a damn yet.
Anything they have that's worth playing is a cross-gen game or better on PC.

I'm waiting on a reason to buy a PS4, but I just don't have one yet.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Ieyke said:
Andy Shandy said:
Well it all comes down to games now. Which I'd (personally) say the Xbox One has over the PS4. Certainly has more than the Wii U, considering it actually gets most third-party offerings. So no, I don't think it'll be a "Wii U 2", and I highly disagree that it seems like it.
If you think the PS4 or Xbone have more worthwhile games than the Wii U, you're not paying attention.
Wii U has more than both of them COMBINED right now.
My point there about the Wii U was that it basically doesn't get third-party stuff now, not that it doesn't have any worthwhile games. I still wouldn't say that the Wii U has that many worthwhile games at the moment either, but that's more due to me personally being tired of Mario more than anything else. I love The Wonderful 101, but most of the other stuff? Eh.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
dragonet111 said:
The vita is sized with the 3DS, I agree visually it's a bad graph they could have clearly separate handheld devices and home consoles.
That would be nice.

HardkorSB said:
Because the bars represent the percentage of the market.
PS Vita is in the handlheld market, which is a separate thing on this graph.
Agreed. I'm with dragonet111 on this one. They should have 2 seperate graphs. That PS3, Xbox360 and Wii still major forces, they could still have a full console graph. Especially with Project Shield dropping to $200, they could have a full hand held graph as well.

I remember reading something about XBOX ONE getting ready for it's launch in China, making it the ONLY current gen console on that market because the other ones are apparently banned and have been for the past 2 decades or so.
I think they will sell a few consoles there.
I've heard PS4 is selling in regions where 360 has not yet started to sell, explaining part of the sales disparity. Still, I just have little interest in the XB1. Given that I'm nuts about this stuff, my mother in law's test tells me, this is a problem.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Gorfias said:

It's by market share with console and handheld markets separated. So, of the handheld market Vita has a much lower share than the XBO's market ownership in the console market.

Additionally, the WiiU is not doing well. It's been on the market for more than a year and a half now compared to the PS4 and XBO having only half a year in. The WiiU is tracking a bit slower than the Dreamcast at this moment but is fortunately backed by a much stronger company.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Gorfias said:

It's because it's not being compared to the console sales, it's only being compared to the 3DS sales.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
erttheking said:
Gorfias said:
It's because it's not being compared to the console sales, it's only being compared to the 3DS sales.
A million years ago, I took a stats course and part of it was about how numbers could lie. They can be accurate, but mislead. (they showed a graph of child birth rates. While there was only a minor difference, they used baby silhouettes rather than bar graphs. The slightly taller baby reflected slightly more births BUT while being only slightly taller, having the same other proportions made it take up much more area, appearing alarmingly larger when, again, the difference was moderate).

You are correct: but why not use a 2nd graph? Looking at this number, the 8 million Vita sales seem to pale in comparison to the 4 million XB1 sales.

We use graphs for a reason: to give us a quick instructional easily grasped piece of visual information. We shouldn't have to work to properly interpret it. It isn't that you're analysis is wrong (it is not, you're spot on) its that this graph fails in the easy to understand area. It might even intentionally mislead.

Just to be safe, buy a Vita anyway. Help their sales. They're awesome.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Ps3 started as a disaster but almost sold as much as X360 by now (if not more), i think it's a bit early to call doom on anything. It hasn't even been released worldwide yet.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
There are 2 common misconceptions that I see here:

1. That a consoles early life is necessarily indicative of its long term success.

If the console cycles were as short as other types of hardware there would be some merit to this, but the fact that they last years and years means there's plenty of time for a console to get adopted down the road, assuming the company behind it is financially solvent enough to continue supporting it. That's why Microsoft and Nintendo aren't in danger of having a Dreamcast-like situation. Sega was in a dire situation even before they released the Dreamcast, both Microsoft and Nintendo had success last gen and Nintendo still has the 3DS. This doesn't mean these consoles aren't likely going to lag behind PS4 for the remainder of the cycle, but they can still chug along and continue to get adopters as the PS4 reaches its saturation point.

2. That not beating out competition means that a console is "failing" somehow.

As long as a console is selling enough units to make a profit on their investments, the console is a success, even if it's a smaller success than the company behind it would like. The Xbone may not be hitting the numbers Microsoft wanted, as evidenced by a willingness to go back on Kinect, but they're far from being in the red, at least long term. Nintendo makes a profit after selling their console with 1 game.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
I don't think so, though the start was not as great as its competitor, this generation has had the best start for any generation so far. The XBOX brand has a huge fanbase that will keep the system alive, and the price cut due to the removal of the kinect might convince some people to get an XBOX one.
Personally I'll get a PS4 ( I can't say no to Uncharted and The Order 1886)

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Gorfias said:
You are correct: but why not use a 2nd graph? Looking at this number, the 8 million Vita sales seem to pale in comparison to the 4 million XB1 sales.
I imagine they felt like the slightly wider space between the handhelds and the consoles would do the trick but you're right, it doesn't distinguish it enough and the two categories that they're using aren't defined anywhere. So it is a poorly made chart regardless, breaking many rules all at once.