Is there a game that you were just determined to finish?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
When I was a kid I played up to about the second dungeon in Majora's Mask but it never really held my interest enough for me to want to finish it. I also thought it was a lot worse than Ocarina of Time. Years later though (or rather, a couple of years ago) I found my old copy of the game, deleted all of the data and tried again from scratch. I still think it's a lot worse than Ocarina of Time; 4 dungeons, a time mechanic which I know can be manipulated but still felt restrictive and, the worst water temple out there...I still beat the game though and using the Fierce Deity felt somewhat satisfying.

Predator on the NES. Found and bought a complete copy of the game around the time Screwattack were obsessing over it and beat either shortly before or shortly after they did.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Nah, not really. I'm not into forcing myself to play through a game. If I don't like it, I don't like it. Simple as that.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Nope, I have a huge list of games I made it to the final or near final boss and lost interest. Don't feel compelled to beat any of them.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Assassin's Creed III. The protagonist is SOOOO unlikable. He seemed like such a dick but being a fan of the franchise, I had to finish it.

magter3001

Jun 7, 2010
GTA4. Darn that game seemed longer than it needed to be. Same with basically all the Total War games. Those Campaigns and Historical Battles needed to be done yo.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Deadpool. I'd never played games outside of JRPGs before and it was just so hard for me, even on Genetically Superior Mode (Easy). I gave up once I got to the part where I'm supposed to steal the helicopter on the first level 'cuz it kept killing me. I then saw that my favorite Let's Players were doing this game and saw not only how to get past that hurdle, but also one of the funniest things I've seen as a reward for finishing the first level, so I jumped back into the game and finished the rest on my own. I got some great laughs from it. I honestly felt that this game prepared me for the gameplay in The Last of Us, if only for the 3rd person shooting practice.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Another post for Dark Souls.

Though the only parts that gave me any trouble, was when there were enemies with massive knockback and pits. (Anor Londo Archers, and the giant skeletons in Tomb of the Giants), everything else seemed fair to me, except maybe the Capra Demon boss. That arena and his two dogs make him harder than he really is. He's cake when he's by himself.

Killer7 on Killer8 mode. Basically EVERYTHING in the game killed you in one hit, except for bosses (the game would be impossible in that case, since you can't dodge one's machine gun fire effectively), unless you're playing as Harman than you can take two hits. The later levels were a HUGE pain unless you leveled up Kevin and maxed his invisibility. And the grande finale level, where you can no longer see the enemies was annoying.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Devil Survivor. That was the first game I've ever spent an entire day on. I don't know why I was so determined to just power my way through that game but I did and I cried with joy when I beat the final boss on my third attempt.

I didn't know it at the time, but the route I had chosen in that game was both the best ending and the hardest possible route to attempt without using New Game+

I was so proud of myself.

LittleWings

May 17, 2010
Pokemon White. I like Pokemon games but my God, constant hand-holding, Battling Cheren every single Gym win, Team Plasma every city, an antagonist called N... I could go on, but I made sure to persevere, and eventually I found it playable enough and finished it (I say finished it, I beat the league and then finished the main story, then caught some old gen Pokemon and called it)

will181

Jul 4, 2012
The original Assassin's Creed. All my friends kept saying that it had an epic ending, so I forced myself to stay up one night and play through all that I had left of it. Bloody shame though since I didn't actually think it was such a great ending!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Red Dead Redemption. I kept on looking for this amazing game that everybody seemed to be finding. Safe to say I didn't find it. It wasn't terrible, but too much hype from people made it rather disappointing. Probably my least favourite Rockstar game this generation, and that includes the also much over-hyped GTA IV. Here's hoping they are back to winning ways with GTA V

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
For me it was... Infinite Undiscovery. I hate that fucking game but whenever I visited my friend who had it I was determined to finish it. I DON'T KNOW WHY. I've stopped playing plenty of good games - I think it's a subconscious attempt to make it last forever, 'cos that works /sarcasm - but I wouldn't quit IU.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Crysis

I loved Crysis, right up to the point where the aliens show up and all the free roaming gameplay gets tossed out of the window in favour of linear set pieces and enemies that do nothing but zerg rush you. I slogged through to the end, in the vague hope that it would get good again, and because I was still enjoying the visual spectacle of it all.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Fable 3. I had endured so much of a train wreck that I figured enduring a little more would eventually pay off.

It did not.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
SMT3: Nocturne. And I was determined to get a true demon ending. Fuck me and my decision. The most frustrating experience I've ever had, but I DID IT! Suck on that Luci!

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
The first Witcher game. God knows why, the ending was pretty decent but not worth the slog, not by a long way.

Planescape Torment. The game itself is pretty awful and there's a horrendous combat slog for a huge chunk of the end. I was lucky enough in the ending I got was extremely satisfying and worth the slog. In retrospect though I should have just used a save editor to make the Nameless One much much better at combat.

optimusjamie

Jul 14, 2012
Spec Ops: The Line. I didn't touch it for about a week after playing Chapter 8 (you know what I'm talking about) but I wanted to see the whole thing through.

In hindsight, I regret that decision.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I would say Final Fantasy X, primarily because it was a game that I came back to for 5 years until I finally competed it.

At first, I would rent it and would only have it for a short period of time. After I finally bought the game, I would occasionally be stuck on a certain boss that required a different set of tactics to defeat. Sometimes I would fail miserably and just stop playing it for a while. When I returned to the game, I would grind or change up my strategy and I would usually beat the boss in a few tries.

Hugh Wright

Apr 2, 2010
Morrowind, and Oblivion to a lesser extent. Biggest problem at the moment is getting restarted, as Morrowinds learning and difficulty curve is like a cliff, especially compared to Skyrim.
Then there is the Pokemons and half a dozen GBDS games I haven't picked up for an age. Also still plodding through Dead Space 3.