Is there a reason behind unskipable cinematics?

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
It's to make sure that you watch it. A lot of people will just skip it, so developers want to make sure that you watched it.

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
Yes and No

Some games have in depth storylines, characters and important points in the cinematics that the developers believe you need to watch in order to understand the game.

However other games are just unskippable because the developers couldn't be arsed to add that option or they thought you'd just wait that long and wouldn't care.

Mar 26, 2008
Unskippable cutscenes are all well and good to push along plot-lines, develop tension, etc and I quite happily sit through them, ONCE. If I die and am force to endure the same cutscene again and again, that's when I get mad.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
as an incentive not to die, and to save every four steps........also if they could let you do something in a cutscene you know like at least look around it would be so much more bearable

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
The only one of these that have EVER actually gotten to me was the "Look at all that JUICE!" thing in Gears of War, just before you fight your first Theron Guards. I can't tell you how many times I watched that cutscene before I just said fuck it and played something else.

Granted, I did get past it the next day, but I tried for literally four hours before I managed to do it.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
My best guess (vitality to the story) has already been posted numerous times, I'd just like to contribute what I view as a better way of handling that. I've played one or two games that had unskippable scenes during the first run or attempt and skippable ones during subsequent play throughs and even second attempts on failed stages and boss fights. I generally enjoy watching the cut scenes, I just don't want to watch the same one five or six times over the course of about twenty minutes.

BLOONINJA 503

Sep 20, 2008
for the most part lazy programming. But in games like MGS the cinematics are crucial if you want to grasp what drives the plot.

Amisbro

Nov 26, 2008
I think so far the only game I've had issues with the cutscene length so far is the new Star Ocean game and even then I go get a snack and wait for the bloody thing to end...either that or I have the patience to watch it.

Seriously speaking if you skip all the cutscenes then you miss some of the story that wasn't already explained. True we don't need a 30 minute set of scenes about a door opening(which I could almost swear happens with some kind of regularity in some RPGs) but an example that it works with is when Edge and his Brother Maverick are having a discussion about their childhood and stuff. Skip that and you'd assume that Edge was just a journeyman hunter that bounced from planet to planet beating the everloving piss out of enemies and doing random shit.

Trust me there are the games that I couldn't stand to see a long dialogue in(Mega Man X series I'm looking at you) but I bet you there are plenty of games where they work.

DarkBlood626

Nov 9, 2008
naa my spelling isn?t to good and my spell-check is shit (i.e. I cant read from my (monitor)probably haven?t spelled that right ether

purplegothchick

Mar 19, 2009
TonsilTerror said:
If its a game with a complex storyline and doesn't explain it in-game, they need somewhere to chuck explanations in.
Yeah but why is it still unskippable after the first time you've seen it? Don't see the point, I've got the gist of the story as I've watched it once already!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Crazzee said:
The only one of these that have EVER actually gotten to me was the "Look at all that JUICE!" thing in Gears of War, just before you fight your first Theron Guards. I can't tell you how many times I watched that cutscene before I just said fuck it and played something else.

Granted, I did get past it the next day, but I tried for literally four hours before I managed to do it.
That section was the hardest in the game on insane mode.

Theseus in God of War 2 had a very annoying unskippable cutscene thatI had to watch MANY times, adding to the frustration of a very tough fight.

Bombader

Nov 21, 2007
However Gears you could skip most scenes by holding a button then letting it go.

Some scenes like the first one after the tutorial level where it zooms in on a random building however is unskipable, even if it was 5 seconds long, the entire cutscene does nothing but make you wonder why you are forced to watch a zoom in right before the battle starts.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
They should give an option to skip cutscenes after you view them once, but I feel that people should basically be forced to watch the cutscene the first time around. Simply because too few people care about storyline, how many times have I seen people who don't care about the Halo story, or the plot of Gears of War, and feel it's simply a generic 'shoot the aliens' game? A lot, that's how many. It annoys me because these games have such awesome stories, and aside from Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Warhammer 40k, Halo has the largest story I've ever seen in any form of media ever. It gets on my nerves when people don't appreciate that and just treat it as any other FPS where aliens are trying to take over Earth... :(

May 4, 2009
Trivun said:
They should give an option to skip cutscenes after you view them once, but I feel that people should basically be forced to watch the cutscene the first time around.
^This 100% This. Especially for those that precede boss battles; I don't want to be forced to sit through the same friggin' cinematic before the Ill-Tempered Crab Monster of Yucca Flats' latest kicking of my ass. As Yahtzee puts it, that kind of crap breaks the flow.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
No frickin' clue. How hard is it to add a pause feature, and then a skip button on the pause screen. I mean unskippable cutsceans are annoying, but being unable to pause is a gaming sin.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I hate it when I press the button by accident during an awesome cutscene and miss it. I agree you should be forced to watch a cutscene once but what's really obnoxious is unskippable end credits.