Is this such a big deal?

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
ultimateownage said:
Here's a tip: Move the fuck out, like, right now. With your girlfriend if possible. These people sound like they're barely above the level of the KKK, They'd probably burn your house down if you admitted to being his friend.
Also take this guys advice.

bloodshed113094

Jul 16, 2010
InnerRebellion said:
My girlfriend's brother has numerous things "wrong" with him. The boy has severe autism, he had leukemia, and many other things I haven't been willing to ask about. Many people in the town are well aware of his condition, and have labeled him an "undesirable", or someone nobody should associate with.

When I first met my girlfriend's mother, her brother was there, and I had already known a few of the things that were bad in his life, and I knew he liked baseball, so I sat down with him and started talking to him about the Red Sox.

The next time I went over, her mother asks me if she can talk to me for a moment, and I'm thinking to myself, "Aw hell! But we haven't gotten up to any mischief whatsoever!" But no, she tells me that she had been afraid I was going to leave Autumn (my girlfriend) just because I'd met her brother, and she was so happy that I was nice to him.

A day later, I'm ignored all over town (well, that's the usual, but it was an eerie avoidance, nobody even looked at me). Now, is it such a big deal that I happen to see my girlfriend's ill brother as a person? Or is my town just full of prats?
you're paranoid.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Your town appears to be populated exclusively by eugenicists. Leave, and take your girlfriend with you.

This is a sad thread. I wish people weren't like this.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Wow. I had no idea Stephen Kings books were based on true stories. Do the people in your town also seem to have an unhealthy obsession with corn?

drdamo

May 17, 2010
Prats, yet i'm curious:

- How big is this town?
- How racially diverse is it?
- How many different families live there?
- What country is it in?
- And do they uphold strong social morals that might be related to a religious mindset of some sort?

I've been to several towns where the whole town was born to believe in something or another (Family, Faith, Friendship etc.) and everyone too far from that standard became an outcast.
I'm not trying to generalize the whole thing, yet my experiences do show a pattern of some sort. A pattern that shows that most humans are sheeps, blindly following the herder.

Regardless of the specific details of this situation, its still a d*ck-move of them to label someone an outcast so easily.

Aside from being an autist myself and having a nephew who had lyme's disease (which destroyed parts of his brain) i've met quite a few of the mentally abnormal who, despite their oddities, had their specialities like being able to tell you everything about World War II as if they where there or how many stamps where made of the Mirrored face Coocoobird with golden lining in 1967 and the stereotypical forms like math-wonders.

Even tho it might not be easy to socially intertwine yourself in a conversation with an autist, making that effort will only show you a different, unique side of the world, that can not only inspire you but enlighten you aswell.

Xyliss

Mar 21, 2010
Town full of prats. You should stay with your girlfriend and continue to talk to her brother and treat him like you would anyone else. I think you were doing the right thing.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Humans kill/reject anything different most of the time. Be glad they didn't lynch you just for talking to him. Kudos for over-riding the temtping vicious instincts of humanity, though.

Sallix

Apr 9, 2008
Wow... if that's how they treat people with illnesses, I'd hate to see how they treat minorities.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
[sub]unlcean[/sub], unclean, UNCLEAN! What the hell is with your town? Is it time stuck a couple centuries back?

silentsentinel

Mar 16, 2008
Whatever happened to common decency? It's a town full of prats, like everyone says. If I were you, I'd leave the town for greener pastures as soon as I got the money. But that's just me.

Onsheka

Jul 14, 2010
Soon you shall be able to move to the city, or should I say The City. I'm sure you have one of those nearish. In the zombie apocalypse they shall be the first to fall.
Unless the gossip circle gets them all inside before hand. Then grandma will be shooting her shotgun from behind her frilly curtains. These are the people that don't help the hero's because they're different.

topbloke

Jul 13, 2010
ok, either you're lying and having a good laugh at all the people who fell for this joke... or you live in a town that is just BEGGING to meet the MOOSE!!! (invader Zim reference)

Auron555

Jun 15, 2008
I've known two kids with autism, and both times I thought they were just a little odd, like kids can sometimes be. I was good friends with one (the other was on a panel of dairy farmers... it's a long story), and when it was explained to me that he had autism I was shocked. That's autism? Huh. I've known kids (myself included) who've acted that way in the past. He was a cool guy. As a matter of fact, he's now a black belt.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
InnerRebellion said:
I have seen all your posts in this thread and I say your town is stuck in the past. (Have you ever seen people be racist?) I suggest continue doing good things and when you have enough money suggest to your girlfriend to move. these people are stuck in their ways they properly still think that video games and D&D turns people into murders and Satanist. The fact that you are atheist properly doesn't help. these are people that want things to stay the same (from what you are saying these guys almost sound like the village from hot fuzz so watch out for evil cults trying to kill you) so they don't like things that they are not familiar with they properly are related or know someone with a mental disability but never have got them tested for any disability they properly still don't think that dyslexia (and the numerical equivalent) exist and that those people are stupid. if they do know that someone in there family has a mental disability keep it hidden so they aren't shunt by the village. I think these are people that deny that paedophile priest are being hidden by the church (if you don't want to be shunt more don't mention paedophile priest people will properly stop selling you stuff).