Is This the Leaked Ending of the Next StarCraft 2?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Is This the Leaked Ending of the Next StarCraft 2?

[viddler=e94f796f]​
A work-in-progress video that's allegedly the big finish of Heart of the Swarm [http://www.amazon.com/StarCraft-II-Heart-Swarm-Pc/dp/B002I0KP4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1291867475&sr=8-1], the second chapter in Blizzard's StarCraft 2, is now making the rounds on the tubes.

Nobody knows if there's any truth to this one and I can't shed any light on the situation because I don't know a thing about StarCraft 2, but if it is true, it's a biggie. A video that purports to be grand finale of StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm got out into the wild today and while Blizzard has been moving to keep it off of sites like YouTube and Vimeo, we all know how that goes. This genie is out of the bottle.

The clip appears to be prototype animation with no lip-syncing and storyboard graphics inserted in a couple of spots, but according to alleged leak [http://kotaku.com/5709838/ending-leaked-for-starcraft-iis-next-chapter] of Blizzard's long-term release schedule and other sensitive data out of the company's office in China.

The fact that Blizzard is working so hard to keep the trailer offline also lends some credence to the theory that this is more than just a half-baked fan vid, although the studio would only say, as usual, that it "does not comment on rumors or speculation." It also means that the trailer attached to this post may be gone by the time you read it, although it should still be available at Kotaku. We'll do our best to keep it around for you.

Bear in mind that if it is the real ending to Heart of the Swarm, and assuming Blizzard doesn't change it entirely as a result of the leak, it is hugely spoilerrific. Don't watch it unless you're prepared to deal with that, and have some respect in the forums for those who may not want to share the foreknowledge.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I think Blizzard needs to hire a plumber since all their stuff is (allegedly) getting leaked like CRAZY! I mean first the whole Blizzard China leak and now this?

*EDIT* Cool video, though. Can't wait to see it in HD.

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
Holy crap, I refuse to watch this.

I wonder if this leak, not this one specifically, but the one about the release dates, will make anyone sort of question the legitimacy of Blizzard's "take as long as the game needs philosophy." I.e., is the game done sometime before then but they're just hyping it like mad, or do they actually keep the games on pretty tight dates? Don't know... perhaps it doesn't matter...

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Truly Enjoyable. Honestly though, pretty much exactly what I assumed was going to happen. Still very cool though!

EDIT: Also, have you shown John yet? Or is he still drooling over Cataclysm?

ranger19

Nov 19, 2008
Wow, big surprises in there. Don't really know what's going on with

Kerrigan being back in zerg form, or what looks like a Kerrigan clone

though.

And for what it's worth, the music around 2:15 (maybe a little earlier) is music from the Transformers movie scores, I swear. Sounds very similar at the end as well, but a little different there.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
AquaAscension said:
Holy crap, I refuse to watch this.

I wonder if this leak, not this one specifically, but the one about the release dates, will make anyone sort of question the legitimacy of Blizzard's "take as long as the game needs philosophy." I.e., is the game done sometime before then but they're just hyping it like mad, or do they actually keep the games on pretty tight dates? Don't know... perhaps it doesn't matter...
same...i dont wanna see it lol

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
I haven't played Starcraft or Starcraft 2, but I must say that in terms of a game ending in general that is pretty sun-shine and lollipops (as in cheesy happy) compared to the gritty RTS I have heard about.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Thank Tassadar I love spoilers.

I didn't believe it.
Then I believed it.
And the last 20 seconds made me not believe it out of sheer absurdity. Still, Metzen's one of those VA's you can recognize quickly. It sounded very close.

I would explain why, but I'll get a suspension for spoilers. I know it. Quick, someone tell me how to do spoiler text.

This is ain't the endin'.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
If that is the ending that's a really huge twist, I mean if the zerg are making a good/neutral turn then who are going to be the bad guys in the 3rd part of the story? Please don't tell me they're going to introduce a random new bad guy and make it a setup for Starcraft 3.

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
It first, I was certain it was fake, but then after I had watched it, I knew it had to be real, because the writing was awful. Oh, God, it just spits in the face of all existing canon, exactly like Wings of Liberty did. This is exactly the kind of drivel that Metzen would write. Ugh.

bor3ds0ul

Apr 8, 2008
Well, at least we know Blizzards actually working on the game. I'm looking at YOU Valve and Half Life 2 Episode 3

cavalierchen28

Aug 17, 2009
I don't buy it.

Spoiler Alert.

How can Kerrigan be back to her creepy Zerg self after the events of Wings of Liberty? Unless the three campaigns aren't meant to be told chronologically and are actually occurring simultaneously in the game world?

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
cavalierchen28 said:
I don't buy it.

Spoiler Alert.

How can Kerrigan be back to her creepy Zerg self after the events of Wings of Liberty? Unless the three campaigns aren't meant to be told chronologically and are actually occurring simultaneously in the game world?
i think kerrigan will transform back into a more zerg-like appearance(she still had the hair-tentacle things on her head at the end of wind of liberty), this is supposed to be the unique gameplay element in Heart of the Swarm.
but if this really is the end i am slightly confused of whom the zerg are free: just control by humans or also by the Hybrids/dark voice. because is they area truly free then the Hybrids would have a lot less bite and the 3rd part would basically just be a like handing a very large broom to zeratul and saying "clean this galaxy up, would you kindly?"

btw i totally expected to her to say . THIS IS SPARTA

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
Don't buy it either.

Blizzard rarely does a scene like this with CGI, hell, I never remember them doing something similar.
cavalierchen28 said:
I don't buy it.

Spoiler Alert.

It is chronological, as far as I know. But, at the end she still had that weird hair, so she probably could've been turned back.