Is This The Weirdest Star Trek Item Ever?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Is This The Weirdest Star Trek Item Ever?

When you think about the original series of Star Trek, scuba diving probably isn't one of the first things that spring to mind, but that hasn't stopped a site from selling Star Trek wetsuits.

The Star Trek fandom has a voracious appetite for Merchandise, ranging from figures and models, to technical manuals and dictionaries of fictional languages. Wet suits however, are something of a stretch.

Not that that has stopped Roddenberry.com [http://www.Roddenberry.com], which gives the whole thing a sort of semi-official seal of approval, from offering a range of custom wetsuits based on the original series, letting you boldly go under the sea, should that be your thing.

For around $450 you can get a wetsuit made to measure in 'Command Yellow' [http://www.roddenberry.com/rdt-custom-wetsuit-3mm.html] or 'Science Blue' [http://www.roddenberry.com/rdt-custom-wetsuit-5mm.html], letting you play out all your Kirk and/or Spock fantasies; provided of course that those fantasies included tightly fighting rubber suits and lots of water.

An 'Engineer Red' suit is also available, but that seems like tempting fate. In the words of Senior Editor Susan Arendt: "[You] may as well just change your name to sharkbait and be done with it"

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
If I'd buy one, then I'd definitely get the red one for laughs.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
lol, If I did scuba diving I would be so all over that...and in Red too just so I can pretend to be a dying extra!

imp_spittle

Nov 25, 2009
Personally, I'd go for the yellow or red ones. Higher visibility to your fellow divers. I've also read that sharks tend to go after darker colors, so perhaps red isn't exactly sharkbait (I'm no expert on sharks, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
I would get a red shirt one....just because...I want to be that guy.

Also, just awesome.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Since when do they have to be wetsuits? I'd wear that to work.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
imp_spittle said:
Personally, I'd go for the yellow or red ones. Higher visibility to your fellow divers. I've also read that sharks tend to go after darker colors, so perhaps red isn't exactly sharkbait (I'm no expert on sharks, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).
I've read that too. Apparently from underneath the water, a diver wearing a black or dark wetsuit resembles a seal (some shark's main prey), but bright colours (such as Engineering Red or Command Yellow) which don't really occur naturally under the sea (or at least in a shark's diet), don't make you look like a seal, so you should be safer...

Then again, after hearing about some of the contents of Tiger Shark's stomachs, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I actually have a homemade redshirt costume that I wore on Halloween. But I would NOT go S.C.U.B.A. diving dressed up like a redshirt.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
imp_spittle said:
But red shirts are the first (and most frequent) to die. In fact, red is the colour of death in the original Star Trek.

imp_spittle

Nov 25, 2009
Doug said:
imp_spittle said:
But red shirts are the first (and most frequent) to die. In fact, red is the colour of death in the original Star Trek.
I grew up with the original Star Trek on beaten-up VHS and reruns; I am quite familiar with what happens when the redshirt beams down with the captain (adios, Ensign Ricky). My point has more to do with real-world tendencies of sharks rather than trends regarding stock characters in a TV show.

Of course, which color of Star Trek-licensed wetsuit I would pick is irrelevant since I can't swim. So, in the end, maybe red is the color most appropriate for me.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
SuperMse said:
I actually have a homemade redshirt costume that I wore on Halloween. But I would NOT go S.C.U.B.A. diving dressed up like a redshirt.
It's safe, as long as you speak with a Scottish accent... your golden.