Is this video a fake?

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=WXIQSH-M_kQ&NR=1

Okay so after watching it, what's your verdict? At first I had no doubt that this was actually a kids show, but after about a minute or two I really started to question the validity of it. So is it really a kid's show or a gag?

edargh

Jan 20, 2009
I remember hearing that it was just a spoof of the same show done for an office christmas party or something.

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
Haha! Rainbow!
I think this was the last episode they made for a laugh, Im prrrreeetty sure it wasn't aired!

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
It has to be either, a joke, or a fake. Though I do commend the actors for keeping a straight face about it.

Apone

Jan 13, 2008
It was a real kids show. But this episode was done as a joke for the studio, it was never aired to the public.
Bloody funny too.

Salith

Jan 27, 2009
It's a fake episode of a real show. Done for their own personal enjoyment and to show at the wrap party after they'd all finished with the show.

Dilla

Jan 21, 2009
Knight Templar said:
Dilla said:
This was a legitamate tv show in the UK. It's no fake.
But was it a kids show?
Yes, sorry I wasn't very clear. A daytime kids show. This video is legit, but as mentioned by the poster above - this clip was never aired.

Dilla

Jan 21, 2009
TheBlueRabbit said:
I think I may be scarred for life. Around what year was that?
It started in the 70's and aired until about the 90's I believe!

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
I can understand the doubt, but Rainbow is an actual program for kids. Whether this is real or not, I'm not sure, I'm not familiar enough with the show to call it.

What I can say is that this never aired on British TV and the rumour is it was "discovered" in the past year or so. It's a good fake if it is a fake.

EDIT: apparently, while I was typing the answer was aired, it was a fake episode for the cast and crew wrap-up party.

Pheel0

Jan 15, 2009
"...and play with your balls!" hahahahaha that's great. I think it's a parody of some sort. :p

Aug 26, 2008
Wiki knows!

"In 1979, the cast and crew of Rainbow made a special exclusive sketch for the Thames TV staff Christmas tape, sometimes referred to as the "Twangers" episode. This show featured plenty of deliberate sexual innuendo (beginning with Zippy peeling a banana, saying "One skin, two skin, three skin, four..." before being interrupted), and never shown at the time (as it was never intended to be screened to the general public.) It also included Geoffrey convincing the viewers to play with their balls, but if they didn't have any balls, they could ask a friend and play with his. Jane also claimed that she was banging with Rod and Roger. Soon, Zippy asked them to stop suggesting whether to play with a blowing tube and maraccas, so they could start singing the 'Plucking Song'.

The clip became famous after being aired on Victor Lewis-Smith's Channel 4 programme TV Offal (1997) and was jokingly referred to as "the pilot episode", which it clearly wasn't as Geoffrey Hayes was presenter at the time. The clip has become widely-spread, first in emails as an attachment and later via online video websites such as YouTube. This has led to many erroneous claims that the episode was publicly broadcast as a regular episode.

TV Offal also broadcast some very risqué material featuring members of the cast as guests on a variety show hosted by comedian Jim Davidson in the 1980s; the sketch in question, which featured former children's TV presenter Tommy Boyd, asking a question about Adam and Eve. Boyd and Davidson used some profanities in the sketch, along with some innuendo from George (presumably again not intended for broadcast like the above), but the most shocking moment was when Zippy exclaimed to Geoffrey: "The fucking Garden of Eden!" This sketch would in all likelihood have been filmed during rehearsals.

Comedian Bobby Davro also parodied Rainbow as a comedy sketch in his own TV series in the early-1990s, playing the part of Geoffrey alongside exaggerated versions of Bungle and the puppets, which contained some mild sexual innuendo. Davro had appeared in a regular edition of the show, in which he performed impressions of the characters in front of them.

While never explicitly adult, most interviews featuring Zippy and George since the show's demise commonly portray them as somewhat more edgy in terms of personality. For example, in an episode of SMTV Live they call Bungle an, "Idiotic, blundering creature."

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Bwahahahahaha! I'd totally forgotten about Rainbow.

Cheers for the link. It's taken away the pain of seeing the star wars holiday special recently.