Is Warlords of Dreanor good?

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
So today I finished up the last of my finals for this semester of University (yay!) and I was looking for something to do during break. I had heard good things about the latest WoW expansion, and I was hoping some of you could share your experience with it. Thanks much.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
If you've only got limited time, yes. The new leveling content is the best they've ever done. Once you hit end game it's kinda the same as it's always been with a few improvements.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Yeah, its pretty fun, but nothing overly revolutionary. I only came back to WoW during that 7 day free thing before the release of WoD, and as a result, aside from the questing in MoP, I missed everything else, so forgive me if some of the things I say were actually introduced in MoP.

So, the expansion itself is actually pretty fun. The questing is somewhat enjoyable, and the environments are beautiful too. One concern that some people have is that Draenor could be just a rehash of Outland, and whilst there are some geographical similarities between the two (ie the locations of some landmarks such as Auchindoun or the Black Temple), the zones are pretty unique and different to those from Outland.

Dungeons are also pretty fun, although I'm not a big fan of how Heroics are locked behind your Item Level rating as I see it as a pretty useless stat, and I really dislike how they are drip feeding raid content to players (instead of an entire raid unlocking, they are unlocking a wing a weak.) as a result, if you are a raider, you may be disappointed to hear that there isn't a single full raid so far.

As for PvP, I don't believe that there are any new PvP battlegrounds, but arena is a lot more accessible. It also seems that the new PvP centric zone, Ashran is a complete waste of time, although I have not been there myself, at least not outside the hub town.

Ytomyth

Nov 13, 2011
harrisonmcgiggins said:
Apparently, tl get your garrison at max level, you need to do lots of pet battles. I dont care for pet battles myself.

Supposedly, every character needs to go through the training grounds at level 100 in order to do heroics or some other important thing (i say apparently and supposedly because i have not experienced it first hand, but have heard it from njmerous guild mates) which is stupid because in order to get to 100, i should be vary familiar with my toon.
Nah, pet battles are only if you want each and every building. True, it's a bit of an eyesore to have an open patch, but it wont be used for anything else, so it's not like it's a waste.

Also Proving Grounds bronze and silver are required for heroics, just to prove you can at least handle your class somewhat capably. Nothing too big and, if you're familiar with your toon, it should be more of a small formality, done in 15m tops.

OT: I've had quite some fun with the current expansion, more so than with Cata or MoP.

The acquirement of gear at max level (pre-raiding) has seen a positive change, imo; it seems to be more widespread.

Probably gonna have a couple more weeks of fun out of it, but the 'end' of my interest is somewhat in sight (playing since launch).

Laggyteabag said:
As for PvP, I don't believe that there are any new PvP battlegrounds, but arena is a lot more accessible. It also seems that the new PvP centric zone, Ashran is a complete waste of time, although I have not been there myself, at least not outside the hub town.
Been to Ashran once, didn't much care for it, no. xD Could very well be because I had no clue what was going on most of the time, or why I died in several seconds or why there was a big aggressive tree in the middle of our camp, but I'm not really in a rush to go back and find out.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
It's pretty good. The leveling experience is some of Blizzards best work to date and the zones are each fantastic in their own way. Story is interesting enough. Soundtrack is brilliant. Visuals are again some of Blizzards best to date. The dungeons are fun as is the new garrison concept.

But with all that said once I hit the level cap and played around a little I've already begun loosing interest. Raiding has never really been something I'm very interested in and aside from that and the usual assortment of pvp stuff, there isn't much to do. I might get another char to max level and enjoy the leveling experience again, maybe run a few old dungeons and raids for entertainment, achievs, and possible some neat loot, but then I'll probably be letting my wow sub go again till something more exciting happens to regain my interest.

Still I'd say it's worth picking up for fans of wow for sure. Probably wont keep you enthralled forever but it's almost certainly going to provide at least a few good evenings entertainment.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Yeah, it's good. Really good, actually. Of course, I'm kinda bored with it since I'm not a raider or an arena/organized PvPer, so there isn't much to hold my attention at end game besides alts and random battlegrounds which stay fun for only so long.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
It's really fun, they haven't had this kind of an ambition since Wrath of the Lich King!

But then, at the same time.

After I hit level 100 in it, most of my time in the game has been spent either managing my garrison or hanging in my garrison until I get into a dungeon, a raid or a battleground. For a lot of the people I play with, seems to be the same thing. It's like... everything just feels so encapsulated, in a way. Like if you want the "massively multiplayer" feeling to stay, you have to go out and chase after it yourself, because it's taken a backseat place this time around. Most of the things you can do endgame in Warlords of Draenor, you can do without ever even leaving your garrison, except for a few world bosses and the odd large-scale quest that has you assault some location out in the wide world.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
The big thing to keep into account is that this is still world of warcraft. There is nothing 'ground breaking' going on in this expansion, really.

But keeping that in mind, this expansion is in my opinion on par with TBC, seen by many as the best expansion before WoD came out. (taking into account the time in which they were released, and the capabilities of that time of course.) The questlines, apart from the standard fetch/kill quest fillers have gotten a huge improvement. And I like that you're really the hero now during main questlines, being given high military ranks and such. Which I think is about time considering all the things our characters have done over the expansions. All those dungeons and raids...yea, a high military title would be in order. :p Anyway, on to dungeons and raids. They've become pretty generous with boss mechanics, which I like. As it brings challenge back into endgame PvE. (By challenge I mean you actually have to pay attention to what the boss is doing opposed to just going through your dps rotation. But other than that there isn't really anything new to dungeons and raiding. PvE has been given an addition. Ashran. It's basically a callback to vanilla Alterac Valley. An ongoing battle on a separate island that you can go to whenever you like. (though there is a queue.) There are quests you can complete, npc enemies to kill, players to fight, etc. Other than that it's also more of the same.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
harrisonmcgiggins said:
Your free level 90 has their abilities and talents locked (you start off with like 4), to be unlocked through a series of quest chajns. This genuinely pissed me off, because i chose holy priest, and was dying because i had only the basic crappiest attack spell.
This is done so that when you get your insta lvl 90 character, you're not instantly bogged down with all the spells, buffs and abilities, but gradually unlock them. The same is done with the Lvl 55 Death knights.

I, for one, love WoD. While there are a few minor nit-picks, like the fact that you can only wear 3 crafted items, max.
I really like the new instances. They were hard the first few times around, and while you gear up, they do become easier, but can still prove a challenge if certain key actions fail. Interrupting, position awareness and killing enemy adds quickly are some of the key focus.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
harrisonmcgiggins said:
Apparently, tl get your garrison at max level, you need to do lots of pet battles. I dont care for pet battles myself.
Not sure who told you this. It's not true. To get your pet menagerie to level 3, you need to go a metric butt-ton of pet battles. That is accurate. The same way to get the fishing shack to level 3 you need to catch a ludicrously high volume of fish. Neither of those buildings are necessary to get your garrison to max level (or at all) and have zero game play implications outside of pet battles and fishing respectively.

harrisonmcgiggins said:
Supposedly, every character needs to go through the training grounds at level 100 in order to do heroics or some other important thing (i say apparently and supposedly because i have not experienced it first hand, but have heard it from njmerous guild mates) which is stupid because in order to get to 100, i should be vary familiar with my toon.
You are locked to heroics until you have gotten a silver rating in your role of choice in proving grounds, which takes about 10 minutes. The reason for this is that heroic difficulty was raised slightly from MoP, a return to WOTLK level difficulty. Back in Cataclysm, the combination of high heroic difficulty with LFD resulted in extraordinary bitching because people were queuing into content they were not remotely prepared for. Getting a silver rating in proving grounds is not difficult. And unfortunately no...just getting to 100 is not any sort of indication that people know how to play their class, especially with boosted 90's.

Laggyteabag said:
Dungeons are also pretty fun, although I'm not a big fan of how Heroics are locked behind your Item Level rating as I see it as a pretty useless stat
It's a misleading stat, but not a useless stat. And it's only locked if you use LFD. For fun, find yourself, say, a ilvl 550 tank and go do a WoD heroic. Tell me how that works out for you. You'll come to appreciate the ilvl restriction for queuing.

Laggyteabag said:
I really dislike how they are drip feeding raid content to players (instead of an entire raid unlocking, they are unlocking a wing a weak.) as a result, if you are a raider, you may be disappointed to hear that there isn't a single full raid so far.
?

Highmaul Flex/Normal and Heroic was launched, in its entirety, three weeks ago. Highmaul Mythic has been available for a week and a half. The only thing being drip-fed is Highmaul LFR. And all due respect to those who prefer LFR, it's a complete joke this time around. MoP LFR was easy, WoD LFR lies somewhere between "questing" and "leaving a drinking bird at the keyboard and going out to a movie" in difficulty. All boss mechanics have been rendered utterly meaningless, and everyone just runs up and auto attacks until they die. I'm not even sure what it's FOR. I know Blizzard imagined it as a sort of "tourist mode" to see the story and environments, but then why have it drop loot or stones at all? Confounding.

Anyway, I feel very sorry for people who try to make the leap between LFR and normal, because the difficulty difference between them is staggering. I'm 6/7 normal and 3/7 Heroic, and Highmaul is probably the most difficult introductory raid Blizzard has ever done. Some of the fights are completely unforgiving. LFR being as ludicrously easy as it is, it's going to result in a lot of people attempting to transition into normal and suffering extreme culture shock.

ohnoitsabear said:
So today I finished up the last of my finals for this semester of University (yay!) and I was looking for something to do during break. I had heard good things about the latest WoW expansion, and I was hoping some of you could share your experience with it. Thanks much.
It's probably the best expansion since WOTLK, and maybe the...I dunno...2nd best expansion overall? In one review I read of the game, WoW was called a "purring satisfaction engine", that had mastered the art of the effort/reward feedback loop. Challenge junkies will likely only find fulfillment in raiding, but there's a ridiculous fuck-ton of things to do in the game, particularly if you've skipped an expansion or two before this one.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try answer them.

Ranorak said:
I, for one, love WoD. While there are a few minor nit-picks, like the fact that you can only wear 3 crafted items, max.
I was pissed about this at first, but since then I've come to be at peace with it. I'm currently wearing two crafted pieces. I've been working on them since launch, first making them, then getting the correct stats on them. I've since upgraded one to 655, and it can be upgraded again to 670. To get both pieces to 670 will likely take months, due to the ridiculous material requirements. Trying to do the same for three pieces, let alone 6? I'd be working on them when WoW 2.0 came out.

There's plenty to criticize about the changes to crafting, but the 3 item restriction is not nearly as restricting as it initially seems.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
So I did end up getting the expansion. I have been enjoying it so far, although I'm not too far into it yet. Totally not sure if I'm going to stick with it, but right now I'm glad to be back.