-ism's on tumblr

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
If you actually check the feminism tag on tumblr you find a lot of it is very anti feminist and some of it is downright abusive toward feminists. The majority of it is definitely clever stuff. Hell the first post i found was this tupac song:

spoilered for length but its freaking tupac you best read this

Forgive but don't forget, girl keep your head up
And when he tells you you ain't nuttin' don't believe him
And if he can't learn to love you you should leave him
Cause sista you don't need him
And I ain't tryin' to gas ya up, I just call em how I see em
You know it makes me unhappy (what's that)
When brothas make babies, and leave a young mother to be a pappy
And since we all came from a woman
Got our name from a woman and our game from a woman
I wonder why we take from our women
Why we rape our women, do we hate our women?
I think it's time to kill for our women
Time to heal our women, be real to our women
And if we don't we'll have a race of babies
That will hate the ladies, that make the babies
And since a man can't make one
He has no right to tell a woman when and where to create one
So will the real men get up
I know you're fed up ladies, but keep your head up

I thought this was just awesome. Jegus I love/miss tupac. The exception to my "meh" attitude toward rap. Now ive made myself sad :C

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
TizzytheTormentor said:
DaWaffledude said:
I think I found your problem!

Especially since Youtube is filled with people who don't know anything about what they are talking about.
Youtube or not its still kind of a bad example. The word feminazi was popularized by Rush Limbaugh, to the point he even says a friend of his invented the term in one of his books. The way he has always used and defined it has nothing to do with man hate, the term was coined to refer to a specific group of women whom Rush and his friend believed to be purposely trying to use U.S. law to increase the number of abortions in America. He basically uses the term to refer to any pro-choice women's group in the U.S., although he's expanded the term to basically include any women's group he doesn't like.

The term feminazi has been thrown around by major news casters against virtually every women's rights group, and even just pro-choice groups for decades now, trying to pass it off as a term that only gets brought out against the craziest of the crazy feminists is so very very wrong.

Feminists get worked up about the word feminazi because mainstream radio and T.V. hosts have used the word to refer to entire organizations, not just individuals. According to Rush, Planned Parenthood is run by "feminazis", because he believes they try to lobby to keep abortions as high as they can.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
There's a shitton of self congratulatory back-patting social justice circles on that site. I don't get involved. I'm what one would term a feminist, but some of the posts on there wear my nerves down.

I tend to just post my artwork, maybe like one or two things, and get the fuck out. Like most people with their sanity still semi intact. The crazies on that site are too much for my 'down time relaxing'. I really don't want to get into a fight about why extremist values are the same pattern of thought processes employed by most terrorists.

I cannot go calling people there out on their bullshit because they form groups, groups of like minded radicalists who will throw all logic to the wayside in the name of defending their views like the very bullies they claim to be seeking solace from.

Just...don't take tumblr seriously. Ever.

I've seen what it does to certain people.

The Clown

Don't bother running
Jun 29, 2009
Burnswell said:
Grace_Omega said:
oreso said:
Just to clear up the context behind the quote, I did actually go and talk to the original poster about it soon after I posted the quote and she replied with: "if men are being treated poorly mostly by other men for a thing that men established, it has fuck all to do with women. that?s the thing." Which I think is pretty ignorant, other people have also been digging into her post and she's being pretty anti-male in general across all the replies.

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
This is part of the problem with tumblr, and why I'll never make an account. If I want to view the funny content, much like I do with 4chan, I'll look for outside sources (Subreddits, independent blogs, image galleries, etc). Both 4chan and Tumblr have a major problem that is shared: their is a vocal portion that are undesirable to listen to. That's why forums like this one exist, because people don't want to see crushed in skulls and "feminist's" commenting on how all men are rapists.

Also, don't misconstrue this as me saying all feminists are bad, they aren't. There are some that get genuine points across, but the majority on tumblr are just hate spewing cretins. Women do deserve equal rights, but so does everyone else.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
TekMoney said:
There are countless stories of people with undiagnosed problems because doctors assumed weight was the issue.
Doctors make mistakes, like the rest of us. How many procent do they get wrong though in these cases?

TekMoney said:
When my dad died I sought therapy for it. The first therapist I saw decided that rather than grief and such, I was unhappy because of my weight. And we focused on that. We focused on that so much that she actually forgot my dad was dead and asked if he was helping to support me.
My condolences.

Fair enough, I think there might have more wrong with her than prejudice against overweight people if she forgot such an important detail.

Aug 1, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
I'm saying they're not even equally valid choices. The one has clear and objective disadvantages over the other.

It's only "privilege" in the Tumblr sense if the two are actually equal and the favoring of the one over the other is society being dumb. This is the case with men/women and the various shades of sexuality. This is not the case with fat.
Er...while there are disadvantages, yes, does that justify society treating them as less?
Disadvantages = The opposite of advantages = less.

A person with worse health has worse health. Treating them as though they have equal health is damaging.

And again as I said, there is a difference between working toward a healthier population by acknowledging the shortcomings of a group of people and being a dick to them. The dickishness should stop. The healthiness should not.

deathjavu

Nov 18, 2009
BiscuitTrouser said:
Single Shot said:
snip

Dont you want to have a real discussion? Stop referecing people who ARNT the person youre talking to. No one gives a single fuck what these other people have to say, unless the person youre talking to specifically tells you otherwise and NAMES a person they agree with. Try talking about what THEY think.
Ugh, I have a friend who always tries to argue against the "opinions perpetuated by my side", as though there's monolithic sides in the vast majority of rational discussions (I agree that insane discussions will try to turn everything into black/white, and if it really is black/white it's kind of insane to bring the discussion up). This childish "with me or against me" mentality poisons any chance of rational discussion, and, well...http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2373#comic . It's the kind of shit that ruins political discussions, actual political discourse, any discussion of really important issues...pretty much everything.

When people are talking to me, they're talking to ME. If you want to bring up someone else's arguments, bring them up with someone else. They're not mine. If you're trying to pin them to me, get bent. If they're using a label I've also been using, then ignore the label and read the content underneath. Lots of nasty things get hidden under the cover of convenient labels. They're just words. Symbols for communication. If a word is not doing the job because you're confused, try to figure out what someone means. If a word is not doing the job because you're deliberately confusing the usage, get bent.

DaWaffledude said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Also, a lot of well-meaning feminists seem to think the term "feminazi" is directed at them, now now, that term is directed at the people who claimed a newborn baby boy was an enemy of feminism simply because it was a boy.
Unfortunately, no two English speakers seem to speak the same language anymore. Check the comments section of any youtube video where feminism is mentioned and you'll find plenty of examples of people who throw around "Feminazi" like it'll win them a prize.
Give this person a fucking medal.

And this is exactly why, when someone says something that bothers me, I ask them what they mean by it. I'd say 65%+ of the time it's just a misunderstanding.

Think of all the headaches you could save yourself.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
The Clown said:
I might be over-reacting but I was wondering if you the most intelligent of communities had any insight to whether my moral compass is off a little.
Considering what these type of arguments would look like in real life....

.....I don't think that your wrong to be put off by such hostility. Its best just to avoid such scenarios and focus on something else.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Lieju said:
I always keep hearing from people how places like Tumblr and Reddit are hives of scum and villainy, but if so, why do you go there? Just ignore them. I manage to use Tumblr for finding fandom-related things or cute stuff and never run into this.
Yeah, I follow like 5 blogs (tumbls? Iunno) which are mostly just amusing pictures. Apparently people "browse" tumblr but I don't even know how to do that. Reddit too is just one massive circlejerk, and it seems like certain sections of tumblr are too.

I miss the days when the only outlet angsty teens had was MSN; at least they could only network relatively privately then.

Also fuck I'm sick of hearing about privilege. Yeah I have privilege, what the fuck are you gonna do about it? Change my skin colour/gender/race/orientation/weight/eye colour/whatever else people bang on about these days?

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
I think that some of you people just suck at Tumblr or go looking for trouble on Tumblr. I'm leaning towards the latter actually. You're not going to run into a mass of "social justice" bloggers just looking for pictures related to your favorite fandom. And if you find a blog that posts things that you object to all you have to do is press the ignore button. If (big if because unless you are super tumblr famous that's not gonna happen) someone sends you a shitty ask then hit the ignore button. It works better than the ignore button on forums. It completely erases that blogs existence from your dashboard and search results, you won't even see an icon with that blogs name on it anymore.

SirPigglesworth

Aug 14, 2012
Single Shot said:
Protesting against mens-support services for men who have suffered relationship abuse.
distorting and subverting the fact that most of non-mutual relationship abuse is perpetrated by the woman against her male partner, most abusive relationships are mutually abusive, and women are statistically more likely to continue being abusive in their future relationships. (That's the findings when you ask both genders the same question instead of the feminist-funded ones that ask women if they have been abused, and men if they have abused.)
This reminds me of when we had a family violence talk at my school, this lady came on and all of the family violence was a man abusing a woman and all they ways men can abuse women, when asked about women abusing men her response was "It barely happens" and when asked about statistics she said about 50% of men will abuse their partners at some stage of their lives. She also said women are never physically strong enough to abuse men (ignoring the emotional abuse she blamed on men.) I think the local men's refuge has closed down since then.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
The Clown said:
I've been on tumblr for a few months now, and I've been seeing a lot of stuff that's been putting me on edge mostly to do with sexism. It puts me on edge mostly because I am not sure whether I'm wrong in thinking what I am. The people on there seem to be treating feminism like a war on men, as if it's them or us, not actually preaching equality, I saw a post that said "Patriarchy backfiring on men is not sexism against men" with thousands of notes and it bothered me that people could be so sexist when fighting for feminism. A small other thing that bothered me is that people are treating fat-shaming as a deadly sin, I might be wrong, but I see fat-shaming on the same level as calling someone ugly, it shouldn't be done because it's mean to hate on someone for any reason.

I might be over-reacting but I was wondering if you the most intelligent of communities had any insight to whether my moral compass is off a little.
A friend of mine once described Tumblr to me as the place the internet flushes it's sewage. I personally can't find fault with that description.

I'd advise you take a step back and realize what you are seeing is a pretty much unmodded ranting stream of collective unconsciousness. It's nothing but the internet version of spray painting on walls, or pissing in the halls, or running naked in the rain. Don't make the mistake of thinking it is in anyway rational or mature discourse.

Single Shot

Jan 13, 2013
deathjavu said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
Single Shot said:
snip

Dont you want to have a real discussion? Stop referecing people who ARNT the person youre talking to. No one gives a single fuck what these other people have to say, unless the person youre talking to specifically tells you otherwise and NAMES a person they agree with. Try talking about what THEY think.
Ugh, I have a friend who always tries to argue against the "opinions perpetuated by my side", as though there's monolithic sides in the vast majority of rational discussions (I agree that insane discussions will try to turn everything into black/white, and if it really is black/white it's kind of insane to bring the discussion up). This childish "with me or against me" mentality poisons any chance of rational discussion, and, well...http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2373#comic . It's the kind of shit that ruins political discussions, actual political discourse, any discussion of really important issues...pretty much everything.

When people are talking to me, they're talking to ME. If you want to bring up someone else's arguments, bring them up with someone else. They're not mine. If you're trying to pin them to me, get bent. If they're using a label I've also been using, then ignore the label and read the content underneath. Lots of nasty things get hidden under the cover of convenient labels. They're just words. Symbols for communication. If a word is not doing the job because you're confused, try to figure out what someone means. If a word is not doing the job because you're deliberately confusing the usage, get bent.

DaWaffledude said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Also, a lot of well-meaning feminists seem to think the term "feminazi" is directed at them, now now, that term is directed at the people who claimed a newborn baby boy was an enemy of feminism simply because it was a boy.
Unfortunately, no two English speakers seem to speak the same language anymore. Check the comments section of any youtube video where feminism is mentioned and you'll find plenty of examples of people who throw around "Feminazi" like it'll win them a prize.
Give this person a fucking medal.

And this is exactly why, when someone says something that bothers me, I ask them what they mean by it. I'd say 65%+ of the time it's just a misunderstanding.

Think of all the headaches you could save yourself.
Hi. I think you called me insane without having the spine to quote me directly.

No, I didn't narrow everything down to black or white logic. I stated that 'feminism' as a group has stated, repeatedly, through it's prominent members and organizations that it is SUPPORTIVE of the extermination of the male population through eugenics and genocide. No matter how you look at it that's wrong yet the majority (I hope) of self-proclaimed feminists are unwilling to shun such behaviour. NOW, the organisation that supported the genocide described in SCUM, now has 550,000 members. Do you think an organization that publically supported GENOCIDE should have half a million members? Do you even think an organization that advocated GENOCIDE should still be allowed to exist? So why do you think it's okay to name your beliefs in allegiance to that organization? It makes it seem like they have far more public support than they do/should have and thus makes them much more powerful. This is an organization with access to the president of America because of their perceived popularity that has historically advocated, and I think I have to say it again, MALE EXTERMINATION AND GENOCIDE.

I have explained calmly in previous posts that by associating with the movement you are seen as supporting those ideals even if you personally do not. I offered people an alternative to feminism in the form of 'equalism' or 'egalitarianism' as groups that ARE for equality.

I am not in any way suggesting that is a view common to all feminists, but I want them to know it IS the view repeated by their movement because I don't think anyone with morals should be able to keep defending that kind of organization.

And you say ignore the label. Well I would, but why should I have to when calling yourself an equalist would allow the same views to be taken much more seriously, weaken the extreme elements, and put an end to the 'gender wars'.

You saying I can't refer to the views offered to me by the most proponent parts of the feminist community through actions/speeches/blog posts/books is akin to saying I can't reference pope's/bishop's/the bible when speaking critically of religion.

You are right though. Words are just there for communicating. But

P.S. in the conversation you quoted I both stayed calm and communicated effectively. Both sides left (hopefully) understanding the other's position but still firm in their belief, but you snipped that part because seeing people have rational debates isn't what you wanted to complain about.

Single Shot

Jan 13, 2013
Sirpigglesworth said:
Single Shot said:
Protesting against mens-support services for men who have suffered relationship abuse.
distorting and subverting the fact that most of non-mutual relationship abuse is perpetrated by the woman against her male partner, most abusive relationships are mutually abusive, and women are statistically more likely to continue being abusive in their future relationships. (That's the findings when you ask both genders the same question instead of the feminist-funded ones that ask women if they have been abused, and men if they have abused.)
This reminds me of when we had a family violence talk at my school, this lady came on and all of the family violence was a man abusing a woman and all they ways men can abuse women, when asked about women abusing men her response was "It barely happens" and when asked about statistics she said about 50% of men will abuse their partners at some stage of their lives. She also said women are never physically strong enough to abuse men (ignoring the emotional abuse she blamed on men.) I think the local men's refuge has closed down since then.
Yeah, that's exactly why I despise feminism as a grouping. I suggest you look up the statistics since they're quite fascinating when you see them in relation to public opinion. Over half of relationship abuse is mutual. Over 70% non-mutual abuse is perpetrated by the female, and females are more likely to continue abuse into future relationships. Let me get a clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOu_BszChIE

^^^^ stats and such, reports and details in the video description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlFAd4YdQks

^^^^ this is also a good video to show the public opinion on the matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdgt1ZHkvnM

^^^^ and because that shit gets depressing have some funny cats

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
Wraith said:
And here we are, again, arguing about feminism.
Indeed, it's like a wonderful wheel that will never stop

Somewhat more OT: Eh, like minded people tend to congregate. It's as much of an echo chamber as Reddit, 4chan, or here tbh. They all share a (loosely) related demographic and all have pros and cons.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
EternallyBored said:
Feminists get worked up about the word feminazi because mainstream radio and T.V. hosts have used the word to refer to entire organizations, not just individuals. According to Rush, Planned Parenthood is run by "feminazis", because he believes they try to lobby to keep abortions as high as they can.
Edit: I've tried toying around with the first sentence a bunch, but I don't think I can get it to work right. Obviously the majority of people that identify as feminists aren't batshit insane, so it doesn't rightly compare with the current Tea Party, which is mostly batshit insane. I just found the situations oddly similar.

--

Funnily enough, this seems slightly reminiscent of the term "Tea Partier," given that the actual Tea Party, founded by Libertarians and Ron Paul-Republicans, is nothing at all like the current Neo-conservative/Neo-Republican group full of hate and asshattery. It originally was about less government (spending, military, et al) and better representation, whereas now it is just a branch for the mainstream Republican party, particularly those who wish to actually increase government spending in private citizens' lives.

But instead of getting mad when someone uses some negative term to refer to the Tea Party, like 'tea-bagger,' I instead make sure to clarify whether they're referring to the current batshit-insane group, and not those like myself who identified as a Tea Party supporter long before it was highjacked. I, like many others, have had to distance myself from the name, simply because the general public has no idea a) what the Tea Party was MEANT to be, and b) that it is completely changed from that original goal.

While I don't think that feminists should abandon the name 'feminist,' I see no reason why there's a need to get angry towards Youtube comments or single sentences that mention feminazis which, by themselves, give *absolutely no indication* whether or not the commenter opposes feminism or simply opposes extreme feminism (which is obviously misandric).

I note that another poster has given an example of women that could rightfully be termed 'feminazis,' when they start to harass a newborn boy and his mother simply for being male.

I'll raise him one, though there is no small amount of this type of material that is clearly not feminism, but a fervent offshoot of it:

Edit: Whoa, that was larger than I thought. Spoiler'd.

In case the hyperlinking doesn't work:
http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/4560909/Does+this+sound+logical+to+you/

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Single Shot said:
While I agree with some of the things you are saying, the generalization you draw is flawed. Labels exist as a way of generalizing ideas or groups. The label of feminism should therefore be ascribed to the actions and beliefs of the majority of those who would call themselves feminist, and not the radical minority of crazy people. Feminism at its roots is about striving for gender equality and a stop to discrimination. Those who would pervert it to an ideology of Female supremacy as no more indicative of the broader movement than the KKK is of Christianity or Neo-Nazis of either right or left wing ideas. The Tea Party does not represent all Republicans, as much as they may claim otherwise and their opponents want to.

Hell, the idea of egalitarianism you are championing has roots in both the French Revolution and Marxism. Both of which have been responsible for death and suffering on a tremendous scale. The idea itself is not made worthless by the way some proponents of it behaved. The concept of equal rights for all is not cheapened by the fact that Stalin and Mao used it as the excuse for butchering thousands, neither is the idea of feminism cheapened by the ideals of a handful (and half a million is a tiny number in a world of over 7 billion) of fringe lunatics who claim to speak for the majority.

Feminism has a much longer history than the recent extremists would have you believe, and I for one am behind the ideals of the like of John Stuart Mill, every human being should have the right to equal treatment by the law and the state. That is all. That has always been the fundamental tenant of feminism. Modern iterations have started to change that message, and many more radical feminists are borderline lunatics, but the same can be said of anyone who holds to their ideology dogmatically without trying to understand the perspectives of others or ignores facts when it goes against their pre-conceived notions.

I have rambled a lot longer than I planned to. Anyway, all that to say that everyone, on all sides of this, should try to relax a little and look at things with a more open mind.