Israeli Missile Defense System Blasts Threats With Liquid Metal

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Neat weapon, however I can't help but wonder how cost effective it will be to equip tanks with on a large scale.

That said given the inevitability of World War III and how ICBM delivered WMD are largely obselete, I think this might be a sign that tanks will be the kings of the battlefield once again. Get it to the point where it can intercept groups of missles fired by planes or helicopters as well, and that means tank wars.

Given that this is public I'm pretty sure the US, UK, Russia, and China at the very least are all now working on, or already have, their own versions.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
"and very few modern tanks are capable of barrel-rolling out of the way"

are...are you implying some tank ARE capable of barrel-rolling?!

but on topic, automatic defenses are always neat; i can just imagine the look on someone's face when they think they've got a clear shot....and the rocket shreds apart mid-air.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
That is freaking amazing, just one point though, I thought Rafael was the party dude, and Donatello did the machinery stuff, now Rafael comes out with this kind of tech!

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
That's cute and all but the enemy will always adapt.

From Sun Tzu, avoid strength attack weakness.

You know what that RPG is still really good against? The truck carrying the fuel for the tank. Or the bar where the tank drivers like to hang out. Or house where the tank commander's family lives.

The best defense is avoiding making an enemy who would want to fire on your tanks in the first place.
you could put these on the fuel truck as well, they aren't that big.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
Therumancer said:
Neat weapon, however I can't help but wonder how cost effective it will be to equip tanks with on a large scale.

That said given the inevitability of World War III and how ICBM delivered WMD are largely obselete, I think this might be a sign that tanks will be the kings of the battlefield once again. Get it to the point where it can intercept groups of missles fired by planes or helicopters as well, and that means tank wars.

Given that this is public I'm pretty sure the US, UK, Russia, and China at the very least are all now working on, or already have, their own versions.
I would say outfitting a tank with this is considerably more cost effective then replacing the whole tank.
And the fact that this also allows the tank to keep fighting unimpeded, it could potentially improve tank K/D ratios rather significantly.

EDIT: also, it looks to me like that video was a sales pitch of sorts. (AKA america will probably contract them ect).
Why bother paying good money to re-design something that works?

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
To people saying,"They'll just fire more rounds from all directions then" well as the video claims, it can defeat multiple SIMULTANEOUS threats from all directions. Also if the enemy have to fire off say, three times as many RPGs/ATGMs to destroy the tank then you've already evened the score. They need to try several times harder, use more ammo, and expose more of their fighters to danger to destroy ONE tank.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
What happens when this system becomes so effective that everybody is using it and nobody can destroy anybody else's tanks?

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
the Israelis develop a round that CAN penetrate this system.

the same thing that always happens.
someone makes a better mousetrap, and then someone else makes a better mouse.

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
ravenshrike said:
bladeofdarkness said:

I wonder if the Javelin can take this out, seeing as it attacks truly vertically.
nope.
Trophy is designed with high elevation coverage.

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
ravenshrike said:
bladeofdarkness said:
ravenshrike said:
bladeofdarkness said:

I wonder if the Javelin can take this out, seeing as it attacks truly vertically.
nope.
Trophy is designed with high elevation coverage.
There's a difference between high elevation and a fully vertical angle of attack.
maybe i should have been clearer.
Trophy was designed with top attack munitions like the Javelin in mind.

and the Javelin doesn't really have a fully vertical (90 degrees) angle of attack.
it has a pretty steep angle mind you, but Trophy was designed to deal with those type of attacks as well.

Jun 23, 2008
TehKnifeh said:
all I could think of while watching and reading that was the battle drone from C&C Generals....
I was thinking the same thing, except the laser defense system on Paladin tanks.

And we're so close to the near future, already. Now we just need to create the Particle Uplink Cannon so we can carve USA in big scorching letters across enemy compounds.

238U.

Firehound

is a trap!
Nov 22, 2010
Nice.

Hopefully they can correct their slogan. The Russians beat them to the whole shoot the missiles out of the air thing and make the tanks not die so easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arena_Active_Protection_System

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
Firehound said:
Nice.

Hopefully they can correct their slogan. The Russians beat them to the whole shoot the missiles out of the air thing and make the tanks not die so easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arena_Active_Protection_System
this version of the video is an older one.
there is a newer one that declares Trophy as the first "fielded" system, which is sorta true (Arena isn't in operational service) though the Russians DID deploy a different system in Afghanistan (Drozed).

its definitely the first WESTERN system, as well as the only system that achieved truly operational status rather then just field test level deployment.