It has begun.

Nyaoku

Jan 7, 2012
I just went to Wikipedia and they started the blackout. Google changed the logo. What's your plans for the day? I'm watching my parents freak out. xD

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Looks like reddit is still up. Glad to see big, popular sites going through with the protest, especially since they decided they won't kill sopa after all. Confound it, government! You don't have to control every part of our lives!

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
They are doing it to raise awareness, and you made a thread to raise awareness of their raising awareness.

Where you trying to to be meta intentionally, or was it a total accident?

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
manaman said:
They are doing it to raise awareness, and you made a thread to raise awareness of their raising awareness.

Where you trying to to be meta intentionally, or was it a total accident?
And now you raised awareness of his raising of awareness of their raising of awareness.

My head hurts.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
A way to get passed Wiki's Blackout has been tending on Twitter. It does work too, which is such a shame.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
http://imgur.com/qTpM5

Is a really easy way to circumvent it if you very much need to use wikipedia today. Would write a script if it was any longer.

Tomorrow should be quite interesting to see how much back-pedalling the politicians do.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Wikipedia mobile is still up, and google mobile. I guess im alright.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
FamoFunk said:
A way to get passed Wiki's Blackout has been tending on Twitter. It does work too, which is such a shame.
They tell you how to get around it on the Wikipedia front page itself. It's not really a shame, as it's what they intended.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
View->Style->No Style seems to work for a few sites I've encountered (using IE anyway). Presumably SOPA will be similarly easy to bypass.

Greni

Jun 19, 2011
Is it still possible to access Wikipedia in any way?

Yes. During the blackout, Wikipedia is accessible on mobile devices and smart phones. You can also view Wikipedia normally by disabling JavaScript in your browser, as explained on this Technical FAQ page. Our purpose here isn't to make it completely impossible for people to read Wikipedia, and it's okay for you to circumvent the blackout. We just want to make sure you see our message.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Learn_more

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
FamoFunk said:
The point isn't to completely block access to wikipedia. The point is to raise awareness. Hell, the wikipedia blackout page tells you how to circumvent it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The funny games website Halolz had join the black out too http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/plugins/simple-sopa-blackout/blackout.php.
So it look like I have to find my laughter elsewhere today, most likely on Youtube.

The Name's Bond

Jan 16, 2012
I think that they should black out for longer periods until SOPA is canned. e.g one day today, two days next, three days after that, etc. Show that they are willing to take extreme measures to protest. Nowadays people don't pay attention unless you do something incredibly drastic