It is kind of sad how there wasn't a big WW2 show that was of HBO quality in the mid to late 2010s

AstroCadet69

Sep 30, 2021
Country
USA
It looks like something we should have gotten during the 2015-2018 time period.

It looks like it was supposed to be made in 2014.

What has kept the talented people who made shows and movies like "Apollo 13", "Saving Private Ryan", "From the Earth to the Moon", "Band of Brothers", and "The Pacific" into a reality from giving an amazing historical show during the mid to late 2010s?

Were computer generated graphics not as advanced?

Was society too obsessed with "Game of Thrones" and "Reality" TV as well as comic book superheroes?

I say that as someone who greatly enjoyed Game of Thrones and the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I think it is a shame that the talents of the people who gave us Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg historical shows and movies in the late 90s and 2000s were not utilized during the 2012-2018 time period.

If the 2010s had been more optimistic would we have shows that celebrated our WW2 victories and imagined a humanity having a optimistic future in space rather than dystopian shows?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The answer is because WWII was played out and people were tired of it.

Why do all of your threads sound exactly the same?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If the 2010s had been more optimistic would we have shows that celebrated our WW2 victories and imagined a humanity having a optimistic future in space rather than dystopian shows?
Doctor Who had a thing for WW2 (at least new Doctor Who), and it...wasn't great. Pretending that England stood alone against the Nazis, that Churchill was simply a great guy, various other myths.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No one really cares. Especially when it's been overdone and way beyond played out. There's a reason 1917 did so great.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Part of it are, but WW2 was immense, there's so much area that could be covered that aren't.
Exactly. It's usually the same USA or UK shit fight Nazis or Imperial Japan, and usually from those perspectives are usually white when following the main characters. It's why Red Tails is one of my favorite WW2 movies. They cover the Tuskegee Airmen and you learn about an all black WW2 fighter pilots. My dad definitely appreciates it.

Reactions: Satinavian

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Part of it are, but WW2 was immense, there's so much area that could be covered that aren't.
But it i very unlikely to get any high budget production about the continuation war or the Bengal famine or even Mandschukuo.

Hollywood is only interested in stuff where Americans fight and are the heroes, at most tragic heroes. And of those kind of movies, more than enough already exist.

As for positive space stuff : It is very difficult to make it both positive and believable. There are no realistic great visions nowadays and people know it.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
OK, so this is probably wrong (as I saw this somewhere on the internet and can't remember where), but I think the reason is that The Pacific was both wildly expensive and not as well received as Band of Brothers, and they didn't want a repeat.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly, I'd kind of like to see a modern dramatization of Operation Rheinübung and the subsequent hunt for the Bismark.

I feel like, because it's not something media has tended to cover for a while, we have a kind of sanitized view of battleship warfare as just being big metal ships exchanging fire, forgetting that there are often well over a thousand people on each of those ships whose lives are incredibly fragile in the face of the forces around them. It's a horrible environment which lends itself well to reflection on the futility and human cost, rather than empty triumphalism.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Is there a reason all of your threads are obsessed with the 2010s? Is this like Futurama and you are actually an alien on a planet 15 light-years away and only picking up the satellite broadcasts now?