It is worth it to buy a PS3 now? Or should I go with PS4?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Auron225 said:
I really wanna get a PS4 at some point - but not really until the PS3 has no more games coming out for it (that time hasn't yet come) or there are some huge exclusives that I really want (which is also yet to happen).
About 10 months ago on a thread on the same issue, I said get a PS3. $200ish, great Bluray, huge backlog of games while PS4 really had nothing to impress.

Today, my boy gave me Far Cry 4 for the PS4 for Christmas/Chanukah.

While Far Cry 3 for the PS3 is, no doubt, as much fun gameplay wise as 4 on the PS4, part of me plays for the pure wonder of seeing just what can be accomplished in a game visuals wise.

I am stunned. I have an HD7970 that cost me $550ish only a few years back. This game, on a $400 PS4, arguably matches anything that card can do. It is simply a wonder to behold. If you have the money, why not pamper yourself? Life is too short to go second rate.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
PS3. Got everything out that likely ever will be out, now, with a large used market as well to scoop up cheap games, on top of the rarely mentioned plus of playing virtually all physical PS1 games which is a big plus if you've got a huge library of them.

Get nearly any of the cheapest models with a smaller HDD, get a 2.5" SATA HDD of your pick, a flash drive, then upgrade the drive yourself and you're pretty much set considering the prices on them now. Plus you mentioned most games being released in Brazil as well if they get a US release, but another bonus is that the vast, vast majority of PS3 games aren't region coded so importing cheap copies of games also becomes an option.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Yeah, buy the PS3. No region locking, relatively cheap used physical copies, nice prices on digital ones and at the very least you'll have a great collection of PS1/2 titles to pick from.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
I would strongly recommend that you avoid Sony consoles in any form, unless you are content with purely single player gaming. The recent DDosing of PSN and XBox live have shown that Sony just do not know what the hell they are doing when it comes to keeping their network secure and stable. My timing may be off but MS had Live back up and working to a degree while the hack was still on going, where as Sony, two days after the attack was finished, is STILL, unable to get PSN working in a reliable fashion.

If you must go with one of the consoles then get the PS3.

It's cheaper, it is less dependant on the online service, if you do go online at least you won't have to pay Sony for the privilege so when it fails (and if Sony's track record has shown us anything it will fail.) at least you won't be pissed off when Sony offer no recompense for not providing a service you paid them for.

It also has a larger collection of games, if you manage to get hold of an older model you can also play PSone games (though their aren't many working fat PS3's kicking around for a decent price)

I am a PS3 and PS4 owner I had my doubts about buying a PS4 and after the events of the last few days I can say that I deeply regret buying a PS4. I would never recommend buying an XBox but it's obvious that when it comes to keeping their customers services working MS at least has their sh*t together where as Sony just couldn't give a fuck.

20min

Dec 28, 2014
Why would you recommend the PS3 without knowing anything about him. Is there a PS3 game that you wanna play? That is not on the Xbox360 - that you apparently have? The PS3 has a big backlog - but what is it worth if you don't wanna play any of those games? And what is it worth if that game also came out on 360 - or PC? Nothing... exactly.

Also the games that you wanna play on the PS4 are not out yet... so you should at least wait until the games are out that you want. Maybe you get a PS4 bundled with the game you want...

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Diablo2000 said:
So I am being waiting to pick up a PS4 for a while now, Bloodborne is coming out and there's Persona 5 in there too... But I also want acess to all the PS3 backlog. And yes, I know about PSNow, but I believe that will be in a similar vein to Netflix and by that I mean, it won't have any quarantees that the games I want to play will be avaiable. If even get's to my country, Sony only recently started to accept our currency and won't have problems with rights to to sell\stream\whatever games in my country, which most likely will.
So my dillema boils down to, pick up a older console with quite a good backlog of games or a brand new ones, with the promise that maybe I will have acess to games I want to play and new games I am interrested in.
So as of right now which one is worth the better?
Well, the big titles will be available over psn, or will be re-released, so if you only want the big AAA titles or Atlus games, just get a ps4. However, there's a massive backlog of smaller games, like Valkyrie chronicles, that probably won't be available. Furthermore, GameStop is clearly trying to move its stock, which will make everything even cheaper, but it will also make them harder to find. If you do want a ps3, now is the time to buy one.

Honestly, between steam and a ps4 I think you'll be covered, so I'd just pull the band aid and get the ps4.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Honestly, PS3 has a lot more in the way of good exclusives at the moment, and you can pick most of them up cheap. I'd say wait to get a PS4 unless there's an exclusive you really, really want.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Get a PS3. I got the slim 500GB bundled with TLOU for £180. Picking up games 2nd hand is dirt cheap too and like everyone above has said, the library is pretty huge. That alone could keep you gaming for 2 years solid until the PS4 drops to a decent price.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Laughing Man said:
I would strongly recommend that you avoid Sony consoles in any form, unless you are content with purely single player gaming. The recent DDosing of PSN and XBox live have shown that Sony just do not know what the hell they are doing when it comes to keeping their network secure and stable. My timing may be off but MS had Live back up and working to a degree while the hack was still on going, where as Sony, two days after the attack was finished, is STILL, unable to get PSN working in a reliable fashion.
A few things: firstly, a DDoS attack has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of security or even stability of a network. It is literally a brute force attack in which you overload servers with access attempts causing them to either shut down or simply be unable to function due to the sheer volume of traffic exceeding what they were designed to handle. Any gaming company and service is vulnerable to this because they tend not to buy a ton of excess capacity they don't think they'll use just in case some assholes who like to pretend they're "hackers" get it in their heads to pull this stuff.

Second; calling this a hack is flat wrong and misleading. A DDoS attack isn't an attack. It doesn't give people access to information on the servers, no security is being breached, no information stolen. They don't work that way. Period. If a hack were the equivalent of someone breaking into Wal-Mart and making off with some merchandise in the middle of the night, a DDoS attack is Wal-Mart on Black Friday when people swarm the doors and trample anyone in their way trying to get in.

Third, I've had no problem accessing the PSN for days now, and even still, thinking this is a reason to not buy one console over another is ridiculous. They're all vulnerable to the exact same attacks because there is no guarding against an overwhelming amount of traffic you never planned for. Simple as that.

As to the OP's question, I'd say go with the PS3. It's been out for 8 years now and has a decent number of great titles available for it. The PS4 on the other hand has been out for a year and has almost no great titles out for it. The math on that isn't too hard if you ask me.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Fox12 said:
Diablo2000 said:
So I am being waiting to pick up a PS4 for a while now, Bloodborne is coming out and there's Persona 5 in there too... But I also want acess to all the PS3 backlog. And yes, I know about PSNow, but I believe that will be in a similar vein to Netflix and by that I mean, it won't have any quarantees that the games I want to play will be avaiable. If even get's to my country, Sony only recently started to accept our currency and won't have problems with rights to to sell\stream\whatever games in my country, which most likely will.
So my dillema boils down to, pick up a older console with quite a good backlog of games or a brand new ones, with the promise that maybe I will have acess to games I want to play and new games I am interrested in.
So as of right now which one is worth the better?
Well, the big titles will be available over psn, or will be re-released, so if you only want the big AAA titles or Atlus games, just get a ps4. However, there's a massive backlog of smaller games, like Valkyrie chronicles, that probably won't be available. Furthermore, GameStop is clearly trying to move its stock, which will make everything even cheaper, but it will also make them harder to find. If you do want a ps3, now is the time to buy one.

Honestly, between steam and a ps4 I think you'll be covered, so I'd just pull the band aid and get the ps4.
That's the US PSN, I don't trust Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo give a worth while number of PSN games in my country to save their own lives...

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
A few things: firstly, a DDoS attack has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of security or even stability of a network. It is literally a brute force attack in which you overload servers with access attempts causing them to either shut down or simply be unable to function due to the sheer volume of traffic exceeding what they were designed to handle. Any gaming company and service is vulnerable to this because they tend not to buy a ton of excess capacity they don't think they'll use just in case some assholes who like to pretend they're "hackers" get it in their heads to pull this stuff.
1). Who was it that got hacked in to in a big way two years ago, oh and only a month ago... Ill wait... oh yeah it was Sony (there's security or lack of taken care of)
2). When DDos attack stopped why was MS returning service within hours where as Sony needed two days to get there service back up and running, giving no sign of when it would be up and running and as far as I now they still haven't offered any recompense or compensation for the four days of PAID FOR PSN PLUS that their users are forced to pay for if they want to use their console online. (stability taken care of)

Finally and this is the one that made me laugh

Third, I've had no problem accessing the PSN for days now, and even still, thinking this is a reason to not buy one console over another is ridiculous
You really have the bold face cheek to sit there and try and tell me what a DDos attack or the difference between a Denial Of Service attack and someone breaching security and hacking in to someone else network and why it isn't Sony's fault in any way shape or form and then say something as world beatingly stupid as that, sit there and try to school someone about DDosing while demonstrating that you have NO KNOWLEDGE at all about how these networks work?

Please just jog on mate.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Couple things from today:
1) My PS4 library is growing. It's now become thinkable that I might bring the PS3 to Gamestop for trade in but, I really haven't finished so much. Even so,
2) Made time to play some Metro 2033 Last Light, free with PS+. Takes a while to load, constantly saving and takes a while, but looks surprisingly good.

PS3 is still very very good. But if you have the money, treat yourself to the PS4. It is a better overall experience.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
Get a PS3. Wait a year or 2 to get a PS4 when they release the PS4 Slim and it has a decent library.
Pretty much this.

Meanwhile, save the money you were going to spend. Build a gaming PC and have fun with the infinite possibilities it'll provide.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Ask yourself what you're more likely to play. New games, or older ones. That should answer it for you.

The PS4 is gradually getting a good library of its own, but it can't possibly compete with the backlog of PS1 and PS3 games you have available on the PS3. Just keep in mind that you really don't want to play a game that comes out on both on the PS3 -- the PS4 version will look and play better in every way.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
erbkaiser said:
Ask yourself what you're more likely to play. New games, or older ones. That should answer it for you.

The PS4 is gradually getting a good library of its own, but it can't possibly compete with the backlog of PS1 and PS3 games you have available on the PS3. Just keep in mind that you really don't want to play a game that comes out on both on the PS3 -- the PS4 version will look and play better in every way.
Too true. Do you really want to play Infamous when Infamous 2nd Son is out and crashing in price?

The PS3 is pretty amazing. Here's video comparison and it is amazing what they can get it to do BUT, compared to PS4, it looks like you're watching a show where the camera has been covered in gauze.

The PS4 library is coming along and if you can afford a premium experience, you should do so.

EDIT: I like this one too