It Looks Like Kevin Conroy Will Be Batman After All

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
It Looks Like Kevin Conroy Will Be Batman After All

The prolific voice actor announced he has been working on "the next Arkham game" for the past nine or ten months.

passed over [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123159-The-Bat-Is-Back-in-Batman-Arkham-Origins] for the role in Origins, with the studio opting instead for a younger actor to better portray young Bruce.

But this seems to not be the case, as Conroy himself recently announced at Dallas Comic Con that he has been working on the "next Arkham game" for the past "nine or ten months". Conroy says that he and the other actors working on the game had to sign a non-disclosure agreement, so he wasn't actually able to specifically state the game by name. He also spoke of the series incredible rise in popularity, which led to the development of this new game.

While it may seem immediately obvious that he is talking about Origins, another theory exists. The developer may simply be prepping the next next Arkham game, which would not be too far of a stretch considering Origins is due out in October of this year.

But let's say he has been working on Origins. It may seem strange considering the statement claiming Conroy was passed over for the role was made only recently, while Conroy claims he has been working for over nine months, but I have my own theory. I believe that the new Arkham game will take the form of a series of flashbacks current-day Bruce is having of his younger days, most likely brought on by the death of "you-know-who" in the previous game. Conroy will voice current-day Bruce while the new actor will voice the flashback version.

Batman: Arkham Origins is being developed by Warner Bros. Games Montreal, rather than Rocksteady, the team behind the first two games. We have been assured that WB Games Montreal has been given full access to Rocksteady's custom modified Unreal engine to capture the look and feel of the Arkhamverse. The game is set for release on the Xbox 360, PS3, PC and Wii U on October 25.

Source: Arkhamverse [http://www.arkhamverse.com/news/2013/05/kevin-conroy-will-be-voicing-batman-in-batman-arkham-origins-dallas-comic-con/]

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
I believe that the new Arkham game will take the form of a series of flashbacks current-day Bruce is having of his younger days, most likely brought on by the death of "you-know-who" in the previous game.
Damn.... If I had known that Batman was gonna kill Lord Voldamort, I would have finished Arkham City. As it was I just found the premise a bit too far fetched....

Oh well....

:p

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
And all is well with the world. They'll still never replace Conroy in my mind, but as long as I get to hear his luscious voice, I'm happy.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
elvor0 said:
And all is well with the world. They'll still never replace Conroy in my mind, but as long as I get to hear his luscious voice, I'm happy.

He IS Batman. If you grew up watching the animated series, there's no getting around it.

D3P1KT

May 18, 2011
And there was much rejoicing...

(muffled Yays!)

- Monty Python's 'The Holy Grail' Narrator

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
EDIT: I'm an idiot who doesn't read. Whoops.

Still, good to see Conroy back.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I've heard a couple of different voice actors play batman now and they all did a fine job. Guy in young justice is great, different to conroys take but still great. As much as I like hearing the voices of actors whom I have nostalgia for a realistic stance has to be taken on the matter of certain characters, actors voices change and in the case of guys like mark harmill they physically cannot play the same character forever. Conroy is as mortal as anyone else.

mrvenom

Jan 3, 2010
First thing on my mind: OMGYES!

Second thing: Who would be the bad guy in that game? Now that You-Know-Who and Beard-MC-Epic are gone, who's gonna take the leading role?

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
EvolutionKills said:
elvor0 said:

He IS Batman. If you grew up watching the animated series, there's no getting around it.
Not just that, everything in the DC animated verse is and always will be my definitive version. Voice actors, characterisation, everything. Which is mainly why I wish John Stewart got more love, but hopefully he'll turn up in the Justice League movie as the Green Lantern, not only do I much prefer him over Hal, he'd also help fill the ethnicity quota, so there's high odds of them going for him.

Actually I'd just be happy if they adapted some of the stories as the JL 1 movie and then the Starcrossed story as the second one. That'd be soooo sweet. Get Bruce Timm and Paul Dini to plan it and boom, instant success! See, Warner Brothers? This is why we can't have nice things.

mrvenom said:
First thing on my mind: OMGYES!

Second thing: Who would be the bad guy in that game? Now that You-Know-Who and Beard-MC-Epic are gone, who's gonna take the leading role?
If you don't mind very vague but confirmed spoilers:

Eight assassins sent to kill Batman, Deathstroke being one of them, plus it's set before the rest of the stuff in the the Arkham-verse

anian

Sep 10, 2008
But how is Conroy gonna do motion capture? First two Akrham games had really terrible fight gameplay and Batman movement because they couldn't motion capture Conroy. /sarcasm

Yay, Kevin IamBatman Conroy takes the cape again.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Oh ye of little faith...

This is great news, I'm really looking forward to Origins.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
I was looking forward to hearing a new actor as batman, but oh well. Conroy is good in the role and he will do a good job but im getting a little bored of him, but still there is more to a game than one actor and i want to see how this differs from arkham city

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
He's the goddamn Batman, for about every 90's kid. That show basically defined the interpretation, type of stories and several characters complete with the way they act that are still the template even for the comics.

It just did, it basically gave a voice, mannerism and characterization to what was before a pretty closed of failing niche market. Whenever I think Joker I think Mark Hamill voice, probably why they killed him off in-game when Hamill retired. Whenever I think Batman I think Kevin Conroy... or Christian Bale :D, hahahaa, oh yes whenever you need comedic Batman you think Bale, but when you need to take him seriously Conroy swoops in to steal the Bat-cake.

anian said:
But how is Conroy gonna do motion capture? First two Akrham games had really terrible fight gameplay and Batman movement because they couldn't motion capture Conroy. /sarcasm

Yay, Kevin IamBatman Conroy takes the cape again.
Well of course they are going to hire a different actor to lip sync silently along with the lines, but that's not how they do things in Canada or Japan, so shut up about the Thief voice already, love from everyone at SquarEidos.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Actually, Roger Craig Smith is the new Batman VA for this game.

Mr Ezio Auditore and the worst Sonic voice actor to ever make your ears bleed.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
AndrewC said:

The worst Sonic voice actor in a game, maybe. Martin Burke was still far worse.

But yeah, Roger Craig Smith is a horrible fit for the role. The least they could've done if they were gonna replace Conroy for younger Bruce is given us Will Friedle or something.

P.S. Thanks

Fu11Frontal

Apr 17, 2013
Covarr said:
AndrewC said:

The worst Sonic voice actor in a game, maybe. Martin Burke was still far worse.

But yeah, Roger Craig Smith is a horrible fit for the role. The least they could've done if they were gonna replace Conroy for younger Bruce is given us Will Friedle or something.

P.S. Thanks
Or, barring that, Bruce Greenwood. The guy did a good job playing a younger Batman in Young Justice and had a solid first outing in Under the Read Hood, and his voice is believably suitable if they are going for that flashback-type thing. Honestly, as far as Friedle goes, I'm holding on hope to Beyond Bats actually figuring into the Arkhamverse somehow.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Ahhh so Batman will be in this game... Now I am interested in this game.... Before I wrote it off as a waste of time and money.