It seems Billie Joe Armstrong doesn't like only having "one fucking minute"

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
I'm a fan of Green Day but jesus that guy was being an absolute knob.
Green Day are just as poppy as any other band in the charts - pop stands for popular music and Green Day are popular with young teenagers! I used to have posters of these guys on my wall at 13.

He had one minute - they all have a strict time and Billie Joe wasted it by pissing about on stage.
You wasted that one minute.
I don't care if you're bloody Paul McCartney and been around for 40+ years - you act professional and do your job. It's what you are paid to do.

End of.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Nantucket said:
I'm a fan of Green Day but jesus that guy was being an absolute knob.
Green Day are just as poppy as any other band in the charts - pop stands for popular music and Green Day are popular with young teenagers! I used to have posters of these guys on my wall at 13.

He had one minute - they all have a strict time and Billie Joe wasted it by pissing about on stage.
You wasted that one minute.
I don't care if you're bloody Paul McCartney and been around for 40+ years - you act professional and do your job. It's what you are paid to do.

End of.
Yeah, but the set was cut last minute for Usher. USHER!!! Of all people!

Also, he was high so he wasn't behaving professionally at all that night.

Nantucket_v1legacy

Mar 6, 2012
ninjaRiv said:
Yeah, but the set was cut last minute for Usher. USHER!!! Of all people!

Also, he was high so he wasn't behaving professionally at all that night.
We don't like Usher but other people like Usher.
If they had cut Green Day's time despite the written agreement both parties would have signed before going on stage then he could have taken it further. I suppose he's too 'punk rock'.

He was high? Isn't he like 40+ and he's still smoking weed and putting on eyeliner?
That's no excuse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19696786

^ It was not cut short.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Nantucket said:
We don't like Usher but other people like Usher.
If they had cut Green Day's time despite the written agreement both parties would have signed before going on stage then he could have taken it further. I suppose he's too 'punk rock'.

He was high? Isn't he like 40+ and he's still smoking weed and putting on eyeliner?
That's no excuse.
Other people are wrong for liking Usher, though, right?

I agree, it's no excuse. The only good thing to come from this is he realised he needs to be in rehab. Which is where he is right now.

I don't think there's an age limit on eyeliner, though, is there?

reithena

Sep 18, 2012
I feel bad for the fans. I know this concert was touted on my local radio station for Green Day and people were really excited to be going to see them...then to have it cut short on them? Yeah that is crappy.

NOt sure what is really going on here, but either way the fans got the short end of the stick.

Nantucket_v1legacy

Mar 6, 2012
ninjaRiv said:
Other people are wrong for liking Usher, though, right?

I agree, it's no excuse. The only good thing to come from this is he realised he needs to be in rehab. Which is where he is right now.

I don't think there's an age limit on eyeliner, though, is there?
I think Dave Grohl summed it up the best.
"If you like Kesha then listen to fucking Kesha"
It doesn't matter who/what you like as long as you like it. Usher is not my cup of tea but other people like him.

Well... I'd cringe if I saw my dad in eyeliner. But hey, if you think a man wearing eyeliner at 40 is cool then all for it. Just reminds me of Boy George.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I thought rock stars were supposed to behave this way? Not sure why he'd go in to rehab because he's pissed that his set got cut by 20 minutes which is a lot. Hell at some festivals that's about all you get. That and the crowd seemed to enjoy it.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
I remember an interview with BJ a couple of years before their 'reinvention'. He said he doesn't get the new bands, and he doesn't want to get them. Well within 2 years of saying that, he had became one of these 'new' bands, with the eyeliner and sleeves and lack of a fricken sense of humour.

Well look at you now BJ - GreenDay is the poppiest 'punk' band the world has ever known. The guy sold out and now he wants sympathy because Rihanna and Usher took some of his time... well here's a novel thought... STOP performing in the same show as people like that!. Maybe next time, consider how much you need the money, against how much you can stand the thought of performing alongside the other artists that your new fans like.

BJ is a total douchebag these days, ever since Warning. I'm an old GD fan, I like the Dookie album, and I like BrainStew, back when GD didn't take themselves so seriously. The old Green Day would have eaten those 25 minutes up - they'd fit 10 songs in there and make the most of it.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Overreaction by normal standards. Severe underreaction by Kanye standards.

Regardless, does anyone actually know the facts of the situation that caused the reaction?
I've read conflicting accounts on whether the set was actually cut short.

Also, Is it really that hard to destroy a guitar? It took him 5 hits...

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone else find it funny they're performing Basket Case?
I mean, the intro to the song kinda fits with the whole video.

"Do you have the time
To listen to me whine
About nothing and everything
All at once
I am one of those
Melodramatic fools
Neurotic to the bone
No doubt about it"

Although I'd be pretty pissed off if my set was cut short for Rihanna.
I'd also be pissed off if I had a huge sign flash up with "1 minutes" left. That's just bad spelling right there.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Well, that was something. I understand why he would be ticked off like that, especially if he had a good cut time, only for that to be pushed back because of Usher and Rhianna. That's just not fair really. It's not fair on the Green Day fans either. I'm a Green Day fan myself, and if I were there to see them, only to have it cut short I would be pretty darn upset about it.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
The worst thing about stuff like this is that we seemingly have to discuss everything to death these days.

24h news channels, news websites and blogs with their fucking comment sections have led to a culture of opinionating over every little shit that goes on instead of the shit that matters to us. Before coming to this thread, did anybody really have an opinion about the apropriate age to wear eyeliner or the appropriate behavior of ageing punk rock sellouts?

We come to this thread, read news that aren't news, form an opinion that is absolutely useless and discuss this as if any of us really care. We're arguing for the sake of arguing. And I feel this is what the internet does to us, it turns us into arguers. Perhaps the Republican-Democrate-divide is only possible because we've become accustomed to entrenching over everything.

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
I loved American. Idiot when I was 14ish... Then I got Dookie cos everyone said it was great... I then realised that all it was was the same mumble for half an hour with some sub-par instrumentation behind and occasionally over it, and decided that everyone was lying to me. I then discovered Rise Against, Johnny Panic and other proper rock bands (which I am still finding today) and I realised that American Idiot was whiny and pretentious and actually not all that good. Green Day seem to have gone backwards again, their new songs are juvenile shite and I think they should give up now. Wrt the rehab stuff: it explains his aasholery and trying to blame everyone else for him ditching the stage, and also the cascade of shit songs he has spewed out like pollutants.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Wayneguard said:
I'd be pissed if Rhianna and Usher were the reason my set was cut short too.
And here is the context the OP so clearly forgot. He wasn't pissed because he only had one minute left, his set was cut by 25 minutes; and by two hacks! His batshit crazy spell was entirely justified.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Let's put some things straight here:
He believed - if due to narcotics or whatever - that Green Day's time was cut in favor of Usher and Rihanna. Whether or not that was what happened does not matter.
I'd be pretty damn pissed if my stage time was cut while others get theirs extended last minute, too.

The fact that he considered this breakdown a tad bit too much and thus went into rehab on his own accord (which I actually consider likely in BJA's case) is very strong.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
As others have said, I'm not a particular fan of Green Day myself either, however everything this guy said is right. He's been around for ages and he's built up such a reputation, and while i may not be a fan, Green Day does at least have some pretty good songs to their name. So yah, cutting their performance by 20 frakkin minutes so some new-wave artists that couldn't identify a rhythm if it bit their hand off would be the biggest slap in the face.