'It would've been so much better if...'

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
For me, Metal Gear Solid 4 is near perfect. But there was one part where I was like 'well it would've been so much better if...'.

The section I'm talking about is when Raiden appears and fights the Geckos but all it is is a cutscene. MGS4 would've been perfect for me if it had let you play as Raiden for that short section. I mean in MGS3 you have that nightmare demon fighting sequence so why not just import those mechanics for this section of the game?

For me just having that section playable would've been awesome and made MGS4 absolutely perfect.

So then Escapist, what games did you think 'it would've been so much better if...'

Try to keep it to quality games that just missed the mark at some point.

Also inb4 'MGS4 would have been better if it wasn't a movie' rubbish.

ChipSandwich

Jan 3, 2010
"if it didn't cut out the good and neutral endings"

Planescape Torment.

Also, the combat is bad for first time players. 2nd time as a mage is hilariously fun once you get to about level 15.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Under a Killing Moon would have been so much better if you didn't have to swap CDs so often. That's why the digital download is so much better :D

Dec 14, 2009
The whole 'MGS4 being a movie rubbish' would hold some water if it wasn't for the fact I spent more time watching cutscenes than I did actually playing the game.

I think Fable 2 and 3 would have been a lot more tolerable if the combat actually required something other than spamming an attack/magic/gun button.

random_bars

Oct 2, 2010
Bioshock would've been so much better if it had ended like [a href=http://www.pentadact.com/index.php/2009-04-15-ending-bioshock]this[/a].

Halo: ODST would've been so much better if it had been more stealth oriented.

IMO.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
If God Hand looked a little bit better.
If the Viewtiful Joe trilogy was finished.
If Ace Combat 6 was released on the PS3.
If Command and Conquer wasnt ruined by executive meddling [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExecutiveMeddling].

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
In b4 "If wasn't shit"

- If Pokemon Black/White wasn't basically the same game as the last ones
- If the voice commands in EndWar actually worked
- If shield lock wasn't so overpowered in Halo Reach

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Assassin's Creed 2: If there was no ship mission. I've had fun with the rest of the game, but I can't finish it since this mission is impossible for me. I've tried following tutorials and I still can't do it.

Starcraft II (single-player): If they hired better writers for the dialogue. My god is it corny. The story is ok, the characters are fine. But the dialogue is ripped straight off of every bad sci-fi movie you could think of.

Just Cause 2: Some more variety. Maybe something to do other than missions, since everything boils down to "Go here, kill/destroy this." The game may be the best looking game on PC, and the controls are great. There could have been so many creative missions. But they decided to opt for generic instead. Plus, the dialogue and story are just terrible here, too.

evilengine

Nov 20, 2009
Bioshock, if the last boss was more of a challenge and had a more epic ending.
FarCry 2, if the checkpoints weren't immediatly refilled after you leave, more varied missions, actual stealth, no irritating malaria pills fetch-quests, and so on.
Fallout 3, more factions to join, aside from the Slavers and the Brotherhood of Steel, why couldn't you join Talon Company? More houses to own, you get two offical homes and thats it, you can rent a bed for the night, but otherwise nothing.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
SturmDolch said:
Starcraft II (single-player): If they hired better writers for the dialogue. My god is it corny. The story is ok, the characters are fine. But the dialogue is ripped straight off of every bad sci-fi movie you could think of.
I miss the old Zeratul :( Not that there's anything Blizzard can do about that. My complaint is the same game, but I'd say it would have been so much better if the Protoss arc were dropped entirely. That sounds selfish, but I cringed a little every mission, which is far from what I'd expected. It seemed to be there just to give players an alternative to Terran and to feed the fans, but just came off as corny and concerning to me, assuming they continue with it's style.

Condemned 2...oh damn it, the problem takes it out of the 'quality games' mark.

Mass Effect would have been so much better if the Citadel were shorter and easier to navigate on your first playthrough. Had to restart the game twice because I lost interest after failing to make my way around that place. It almost made me (and some others) take a pass on the game as a whole.

Mass Effect 2 would have been so much better if your character choice had more frequent impact on your missions. For example, with the Overlord DLC (don't worry, no spoilers) a character makes an off-hand comment about being concerned about one of your squad members if you bring them along, but that's it. I would have liked for the concern to be warranted; shake things up in some way instead of being a single dialogue line of change. It's better than nothing, but it feels hollow and underdeveloped.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
If Crysis hadn't completely abandoned the open gameplay of the first 2/3 of the game in favour of a succession of admittedly spectacular, but extremely linear set pieces for the final act.

soulblade06

Mar 27, 2011
If Halo: ODST was actually a stealth/detective game where you have to follow clues and find routes to avoid enemies (seriously, who puts a saxophone solo into the soundtrack and includes silenced weapons in any other kind of game?) That would mean no waypoints, no constant stream of information available via your helmet, and no protective entity guiding you.

I know there is some avoiding enemies (even though it's covertly kill/avoid the infinite number of small patrols around every corner and use secret paths through abandoned buildings and more avoid set big clusters of enemies until the pathway crosses out into the open, at which point you have to start shooting) and some finding clues (by which I mean going where you're told and finding a highlighted item), but it was still a bit under-used considering how such simple changes could completely change the feel of the halo games.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood would've been so much better if it didn't have the secondary objectives for each mission.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Knights of the Old Republic II would be so much better if LucasArts gave them time to finish it.

Sacul

Sep 27, 2009
Stammer said:
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood would've been so much better if it didn't have the secondary objectives for each mission.
They are optional though...

On that note, Assassin's Creed 1, 2, and Brotherhood would of been soooo much better if the PC releases weren't months later then on consoles, I got Brotherhood's ending spoiled for me! THANKS A LOT UBISOFT!

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
icyneesan said:
If Swat4 had a shotguns that worked. We all know it to be true :p
The heck? Beanbag shotguns were the ONLY useful weapon in that game. Otherwise it's near impossible to have zero casualties.