Italian Amazon Reveal Hints At Next-Gen Mirror's Edge 2

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Italian Amazon Reveal Hints At Next-Gen Mirror's Edge 2

No price tag, and the page has since been pulled, but ...

The page has since been pulled, but for a while there, if you happened to be trawling Amazon's Italian site, you could find a pageholder advert for Mirror's Edge 2. This supposed sequel to EA's first person parkour title recently hit the news cycle when general knowledge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124294-Mirrors-Edge-2-Listing-Appears-On-Amazon-de]" DICE is working on Mirror's Edge 2.

If true, it's likely that Mirror's Edge 2 will be one of the new games revealed at E3 later this year. This is the same title that, rumor had it, was he said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107732-EA-Reportedly-Cancelled-Mirrors-Edge-Sequel], and now, several years later, we may get to see whether EA really did learn as much as Gibeau seemed to think it had.

No, there's no release date for this title. What were you thinking? This is still very much in the not-confirmed bucket, for now.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-21-dice-we-dont-want-to-become-a-battlefield-factory]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
That awkward moment where the first good thing I've heard about the Xbox One in... ever is a very unconfirmed sequel to a deeply flawed experiment.

Admittedly, that deeply flawed experiment is my favorite game of all time, but still...

Now, the question I want to ask is "Will it be exclusive? Because I will finally despise you wholeheartedly, EA, if it is."

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Mirrors Edge 2? Sign me up, one of the most original games ever. Sure they crammed some unnecessary combat and shooting in, largely EAs influence there I guess and they where unwilling to release a game without shooting in. Hopefully they don't make it worse in any possible sequel. Unless its for the Xbone then it can drop into a pit of despair and lose EA money for being stupid enough to make it exclusive on a terrible platform.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oh just hurry up and let us know one way or the other EA!

While I would be disappointed if Mirror's Edge was confirmed as being cancelled, at least I'd know instead of this state of "Oooh, will they, won't they?"

However, if you are making it...gimme it! :D

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
So will DICE be developing it after BF4? Mirrors Edge 2 now with 200% more lens flare! I kid. I know people hate on the lens flare in BF3 but it is a handy tactical tool.

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
Granted, I would have loved to get my hands on Mirror's Edge, considering I've heard quite good things about it, and a potential sequel sounds amazing, but can we just take some time to consider the following:

an eye-watering $130
I'll be fucking damned if I'm going to throw bloody $130 at every new game that comes out, never mind console prices. If that's the price for a single new game, this will be the generation of games that'll kill the modern gaming market as we know it.

EDIT: wait, just double-checked the story now, that price is in reference to the old advert for Mirror's Edge 2 when it was coming for 360. Well, my point still stands if the price doesn't change.

soitgoes19

Jul 8, 2012
I hope it's not an Xbox exclusive. I really enjoyed the first one despite its flaws. It fell a little short of the mark, but it has the potential to be an amazing property. All they really need to do is fix &/or eliminate combat, make the world more sprawling, and get rid of those awful cutscenes. I'd also love to see side missions - for a game about couriers their wasn't anything that actually involved delivering packages/messages. They could make some really interesting stories with them that expand the backstory.

Tar Palantir

Jan 16, 2012
CalPal said:
Granted, I would have loved to get my hands on Mirror's Edge, considering I've heard quite good things about it, and a potential sequel sounds amazing, but can we just take some time to consider the following:

an eye-watering $130
I'll be fucking damned if I'm going to throw bloody $130 at every new game that comes out, never mind console prices. If that's the price for a single new game, this will be the generation of games that'll kill the modern gaming market as we know it.

EDIT: wait, just double-checked the story now, that price is in reference to the old advert for Mirror's Edge 2 when it was coming for 360. Well, my point still stands if the price doesn't change.
LOL, it's obviously a random/placeholder tag...

IntangibleMango

Jul 5, 2009
J Tyran said:
Mirrors Edge 2? Sign me up, one of the most original games ever.
I'm kind of against a Mirror's Edge sequel for the same reason. I loved Mirror's Edge (and even have a tattoo to prove it!), and I hoped they would keep it as the unique gem it is. The more sequels you make, the quicker it turns from something original and different to just the norm, just like what happened to Assassins Creed.

Some games warrant sequels, Halo for example - but Mirror's Edge just isn't one of those games in my eyes.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
IntangibleMango said:
J Tyran said:
I'm kind of against a Mirror's Edge sequel for the same reason. I loved Mirror's Edge (and even have a tattoo to prove it!), and I hoped they would keep it as the unique gem it is. The more sequels you make, the quicker it turns from something original and different to just the norm, just like what happened to Assassins Creed.

Some games warrant sequels, Halo for example - but Mirror's Edge just isn't one of those games in my eyes.
A single squeal would be good I think, just to try and polish it and fix some of the games flaws. If they just do that it would be a great game. You're right though turning it into a franchise would ruin it, the gameplay concept and the bright clean modernist world was a breath of fresh air after almost every first person game being a grey and brown shooter.

Churning out sequels that steadily degrade over time like Crysis and Deadspace would be awful, at least Assassins Creed maintained its quality even if it spoiled the uniqueness a bit. Ubisoft are good at sequels either getting better over time or retaining their flavor, EA titles degrade.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
IntangibleMango said:
J Tyran said:

I think I read somewhere that Mirror's Edge was originally intended as a trilogy. I guess that means that they'd have some kind of idea as to what they'd do with sequels. Hopefully.

Anyway, if Mirror's Edge 2 does turn out to exist, consider me hyped. I really liked the first game, but there's no denying it was a bit too short. I want more. And not DLC levels full of floating blocks more.
I hope the game isn't exclusive to Xbox One but if it is, guess I know what next gen console I'm getting.

IntangibleMango

Jul 5, 2009
J Tyran said:
IntangibleMango said:
J Tyran said:

Churning out sequels that steadily degrade over time like Crysis and Deadspace would be awful, at least Assassins Creed maintained its quality even if it spoiled the uniqueness a bit. Ubisoft are good at sequels either getting better over time or retaining their flavor, EA titles degrade.
I agree with you there, the AC games are of amazing quality, but it just loses that spark. You remember that first massive dive off the top of a spire, but the next hundred will never leave the same impact. But of course that isn't the games fault.

I was trying to think of an EA sequel significantly better than the original, but I'll have to agree with you there, I can't think of one!

As for Ubisoft titles, I thought the latest Ghost Recon wasn't that great.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
IntangibleMango said:
Admittedly I have not played that, I was thinking of titles like Rayman, Far Cry and Assassins Creed. Ghost Recon was always a mixed bag, I loved the first games, then they turned it into a 3rd person game and it went up and down hill. I lost interest after the change to a heavy combat focus and 3rd person perspective and never played the franchise since.

IntangibleMango

Jul 5, 2009
J Tyran said:
IntangibleMango said:
Admittedly I have not played that, I was thinking of titles like Rayman, Far Cry and Assassins Creed. Ghost Recon was always a mixed bag, I loved the first games, then they turned it into a 3rd person game and it went up and down hill. I lost interest after the change to a heavy combat focus and 3rd person perspective and never played the franchise since.
Yeah that's pretty much what put me off, it's too fast paced now. But yeah - Rayman Origins and Far Cry 3 were fantastic, and I played the shit out of both of them :)

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
IntangibleMango said:
J Tyran said:

To me, Mirror's Edge was a diamond in the rough, it showed a lot of promise but was unpolished and never managed to shine as brightly as it could; I feel like a second game that learns from it's mistakes and polishes that diamond up could be brilliant.

I don't think I'd want another after that though, I'd prefer that they take what they learn from it and incorporate it into future titles.

I have a bit of a wishlist for the game too, I'd like to see proper Oculus Rift support for it and perhaps an open world or at the very least multiple paths.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
EA's Frank Gibeau said:
"You have to spend more time on a game to ensure it's polished."
[HEADING=1]Staggering industry insider knowledge![/HEADING]

This news has the power to make me quite bitter. I LOVED the shit out of Mirror's Edge back in the day; despite its oft frustrating flaws it was a very enjoyable game to play. But I refuse to buy an XBone simply to play this game. Sorry EA, no DICE.

Lame joke 100% intentional.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
I do hope they release Mirrors Edge 2. The original was a bit clunky, but the graphics were colorful, and the game had some interesting ideas behind it. It's just that the ideas needed some more polish to really work.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Good stuff. I had a feeling EA was working on a follow up to Mirror's Edge. There's been demand for a sequel for quite awhile now and as imperfect as it is, I just love the originality of the original game. The thing is, if this is in fact not a rumor, will this game just be an Xbone exclusive? Because Jesus himself can craft a game for that thing and I still wouldn't buy that console.

nonl33t m4st3r

Oct 31, 2009
I'm glad that Mirror's Edge 2 isn't totally dead. I really liked the first one, I felt that it could have been great if there were a few more coats of polish on it, like a bigger backstory or missions where you actually deliver things or even just a more fleshed out world. I think the Mirror's Edge universe should have another go at it, if only to improve on the original.