It's About Time :: Resistance: Fall of Man

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
[HEADING=2]It's About Time! reviews by a Stranger[/HEADING]
[HEADING=1]Resistance: Fall of Man[/HEADING]

It's odd that as I find myself attacked from all sides by what appears to be every person on the planet for bad reviewing (don't leave just yet), I find myself reviewing another game in order to relax myself. This review though, will be a lot better; well I hope so as I plan to spend a hell of a lot more time doing it. Although I will not stoop down to omitting these opening paragraphs as while they have been criticised for being completely irrelevant, I rather enjoy writing them as it gets me in the mood for doing these and I like to think that it relaxes the reader (that's you!). Well I hope anyway.

Resistance: Fall of Man was one of a handful of titles to be released alongside the PS3's launch and puts the player in an alternative-history in 1951 where a possibly alien race called the Chimera appeared in Russia and have already taken over the whole of Asia and Europe, excluding Britain. It was the first game on the PS3 to sell over one million copies and has been met with generally sound scores (86 on Metacritic although, confusingly, 6/10 in the official Playstation magazine). It was developed by Insomniac, a studio most famous for their work on Ratchet and Clank.

After a brief synopsis of events you are introduced to the new protagonist in the franchise, Nathan Hale. As Sony's answer to Master Chief, he's a man with no back story, no wife back in America or anything, he's just a sergeant in the army sent to England in a 12,000 man taskforce to retrieve a weapon that could defeat the Chimera. What elevates him to super-soldier status is rather more interesting though, his entire company falls on the bad side of a spire attack and are all infected with a virus that will slowly turn them into Chimera. Hale, however, wakes up. He finds that he can now take a lot more bullets and his irises have turned yellow, amongst other things.

This story is all very well, but it takes the backseat in this game to the atmosphere, Resistance is a first person shooter with horror elements, these elements come in the form of the player constantly being put at ill ease, the best examples of this are the levels in the Chimeran conversion centre where you see the process that turns a human into a Chimera and also the tunnel levels where it is just you wandering through an underground tunnel system, crosshair darting around as you inspect every crevice for an enemy. These are done extremely well, so well in fact that on my first playthrough I put down the controller and didn't return until 3 days and one "man up" session later. The atmosphere is what prevents the game from sinking into the swamp of generic FPSs that are churned out constantly nowadays.

Now I'm not an expert in this field, but you might want to think about shooting some time soon...

The gameplay itself is also well done, guns shoot where you point them and the recoil is present but not unbearable. There are a wide variety of weapons to choose from and all of them are completely unique and extremely imaginative, this points to the developers work with Ratchet and Clank as insane weapons were prevalent in that game as well. You begin with a simple assault rifle but soon you will acquire guns which shoot through walls or even slow down time. This variety enables a host of different play styles so although the game may be incredibly linear, you can play each level a different way. The different grenades are also worth a mention, the Chimeran hedgehog grenades fire razor sharp spikes in every direction and there are even Halo-style grenades that create a spherical shield that you can cower in. However, even with this huge variety of lethal things at your disposal, some of the enemies do take more bullets (/lazer beams) than your garden tank and it can be very frustrating when you unload a slug into a standard Chimera only to see it walk through the blast and hit you round the face with its gun.

Resistance mixes up the different ideas for health in FPS games into a health bar that is split up into four sections, if you hide behind cover you will only be able to refill the section that you are currently in. You will need to pick up sym-bacs (health packs) to replenish your health further. Personally, I applaud this system, it doesn't endorse cowering behind walls to magically regrow limbs but it also means that you are never stuck with one percent of your health before the next encounter. I'm very surprised that no other game seems to have adopted this and I'm especially shocked that they dropped it in favour of the "wait a while before magically healing" system in Resistance 2.

The locations in this game are pretty varied, they range from cities to the countryside and then to Chimeran structures, however they are made very similar due to the green/brown type of graphics that FPSs are ever so fond of. It makes some locations feel the same and doesn't give the impression that you move around all that much during the story. It is charming however as a Brit to fend off the invasion in Manchester Cathedral or in Grimsby, especially as there are a noticeable lack of games set in Britain.

*Yawns* Ahh I'm tired

There are a large range of enemies that you will have to pleasure of taking a gun to. The most common are the hybrids, they closely resemble the human form and still use guns as their preferred method of attack, although they do have some very frightening teeth on them. Other enemies include the insect-like Crawlers that attack in giant swarms and the mystical Angels, huge, elegant, levitating monsters that control the other Chimera via. their minds. As the narrator tells you "Kill the angels and you kill the Chimera".

Now being that this game is set in England, you can expect a wide array of terrible English accents and stereotypical language. The narrator may as well be so well-spoken and up herself that she is honourably accepted into the royal family, similarly the shouts of "Bloody Hell!" should be replaced by ones of "Fookin' 'eck, y' see tha'?". Granted this does not have too much of an effect as your fellow soldiers are usually killed off fairly quickly but it is still irksome.

When the game was first released, the graphics were amazing. Although most surfaces are covered with a film of brown and green they still look very nice and everything (especially the Chimera) is incredibly detailed. Today, the graphics hold up fairly well but it is not nearly bright or colourful enough to be considered pretty nowadays. They did up the ante in Resistance 2 as that game was fucking gorgeous but that is a review for another day.

If you handed me Resistance and told me that it was a mash up of a horror game and a FPS I would hand it right back to you, but now I have to say that it fully satisfies both departments. Though the game is not perfect it is definitely up there and is a nice change from the stamped-out FPSs that we are bombarded with these days; with the variety of guns and enemies, the great health system and a lack of bullshit motivation apart from "just do it!". It's refreshing.

Yes out of 10! My highest score yet.
It's About Time! Final Fantasy XII [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.188075-Poll-Its-About-Time-Final-Fantasy-XII] Fallout 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.186956-Its-About-Time-Fallout-3-version-1-2] Dragon Age: Origins [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.185708-Its-About-Time-Dragon-Age-Origins] Little Big Planet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.184065-Its-About-Time-Little-Big-Planet]
Games Peekaboo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.188855-A-Review-of-Sorts-Peekaboo-complete-re-write] Cel Damage Overdrive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.187437-A-Stranger-reviews-Cel-Damage-Overdrive] The Fall(en) [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.183414-A-Stranger-reviews-The-Fall-en-updated], Plants Vs Zombies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.183040-Plants-Vs-Zombies-In-a-Nutshell], Borderlands DLC: Secret Armoury [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.179437-A-Stranger-Reviews-Borderlands-Secret-Armoury-Get-you-one],Cod: Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.181561-A-Stranger-reviews-CoD-Modern-Warfare-2-a-review-to-end-all-others-well-hopefully], B:BC2 demo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.176510-Review-Battlefield-Bad-Company-2-multiplayer-demo]
Movies 2001: A Space Odyssey [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.179870-2001-A-Space-Odyssey-A-Strangers-verdict]
Music [url-http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.183857-Music-for-Dummies-A-collection-of-music-reviews-7-Technicolour-Health-by-Harlem-Shakes]The Music Thread[/url] My Dinosaur Life [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.182845-A-Stranger-reviews-music-My-Dinosaur-Life-by-MCS], Cajun Dance Party [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.181141-Cajun-Dance-Party-A-Strangers-Music-Review], Bloc Party [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.178462-A-Music-Review-Bloc-Party]
Random The Escapist forums [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.182355-A-Stranger-reviews-The-Escapist-Forums] Progress Wars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.185328-Poll-A-Stranger-reviews-Progress-Wars]

Feedback and all that jazz is welcome

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
Well now, it seems we've posted reviews simultaneously. *glares at challenger*

This is a good review, as all of yours are, but it felt rushed. Abundant grammatical errors (get someone to proofread it maybe?) such as run ons and misspelled words.

Other than that, it's a very enjoyable read, and the paragraph about the accents certainly made me laugh.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
SniperWolf427 said:

This is a good review, as all of yours are, but it felt rushed. Abundant grammatical errors (get someone to proofread it maybe?) such as run ons and misspelled words.

Other than that, it's a very enjoyable read, and the paragraph about the accents certainly made me laugh.
SavingPrincess deserves glaring as well! Does it feel rushed? Oh dear, I did spend quite a bit more time then I usually do on this. I'll go through the review and tidy bits up now.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
Stranger of Sorts said:
SniperWolf427 said:

SavingPrincess deserves glaring as well! Does it feel rushed? Oh dear, I did spend quite a bit more time then I usually do on this. I'll go through the review and tidy bits up now.
I would glare at him, but I don't really like him. I don't want to give his review any sort of bump at all.

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
Your review said what I was thinking :) I enjoyed reading it and I agree with your final rating. Good job!

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Cleril said:
Well, you don't discuss music but everything is mentioned and fleshed out. This is a descent review. That's about it, a descent read.

Also, the link to Peekaboo isn't working or maybe you just didn't put it in.
"The incident" seems to be missing a link, oh no! Haha thanks for dropping by, I guess my thoughts on the music would be pretty nonchalant since it didn't grab my attention at all. That's pretty universal to most games apart from LBP.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
SniperWolf427 said:
I would glare at him, but I don't really like him. I don't want to give his review any sort of bump at all.
I quite like the guy, he's got a nice style. But then again, if we kill him it would help out our reviews enormously...

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
Cleril said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
It's not an incident. Really I can be sympathetic when needed but seriously, get over the incident. If the review was so terrible than why would the download numbers go up? So you had negative comments, oh well. You can't come to terms with it by pretending it never happened. This is not only disrespectful to me but to you. All that hard work you put into making the review is now nil and you essentially are insulting my game by not putting it on the list just because it has a few bad posts on the topic. It's not like one mistake ever ruins a person. Even then, the review isn't an incident or a mistake.

To sum it up, get over it, put the link in there, and no, this is not the way to handle it.
Haha you've got it wrong completely. Link will be put there shortly (I was distracted by MSN) but it is The Incident because I think that sounds cool. I'm really not too fussed about the bad feedback I got now because I see it as something of a wake up thing.

Sorry for any offence.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
Stranger of Sorts said:
SniperWolf427 said:
I quite like the guy, he's got a nice style. But then again, if we kill him it would help out our reviews enormously...
I dunno. He writes reviews like he fucking knows he's right. And that just bugs me. Sure, it can have entertainment value, but it usually just ends up becoming annoying.

Ehh.. I shouldn't be talking about another person's writings. Yeah, I'll stop now.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
SniperWolf427 said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
SniperWolf427 said:
I dunno. He writes reviews like he fucking knows he's right. And that just bugs me. Sure, it can have entertainment value, but it usually just ends up becoming annoying.

Ehh.. I shouldn't be talking about another person's writings. Yeah, I'll stop now.
By all means carry on, I'm enjoying the little bump in views I get with each comment. So... anything else? :p

darth jacen

Sith Reviewer
Jul 15, 2009
Good review there stranger, few little mistakes, again. I know it is nit-picky and I'm sure you don't want to hear me say this again, but it does take a bit away from the review. I don't even mean grammar, I'm terrible at grammar and so it doesn't bug me as much as "he feare it" or "he watch as it happened" small things that take away from the read itself. The review itself was good, just if you are going to spend more time on the review (which I could feel a little) take that extra read through to peruse each word. Just my two cents, regardless again good review, can't wait for more.

BTW: typing my review for
Splinter Cell: Conviction
in a bit once I get the finishing touches done on my outline for it ([small]yeah I spend TOO much time on this I think...[/small]). So if you're not asleep by the time I get it written and hopefully edited for grammar I'd love to have you read it. It won't go up till Tuesday probably though so no rush.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
CakeDragon said:
Your review said what I was thinking :) I enjoyed reading it and I agree with your final rating. Good job!
It's the best kind of rating. Yes out of Ten is 7-9 on the number scale. Other scores include "Meh out of Ten" and "OMG out of Ten"

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
CakeDragon said:
It's the best kind of rating. Yes out of Ten is 7-9 on the number scale. Other scores include "Meh out of Ten" and "OMG out of Ten"
Hahaha..! Like it :D

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
darth jacen said:
Good review there stranger, few little mistakes, again. I know it is nit-picky and I'm sure you don't want to hear me say this again, but it does take a bit away from the review. I don't even mean grammar, I'm terrible at grammar and so it doesn't bug me as much as "he feare it" or "he watch as it happened" small things that take away from the read itself. The review itself was good, just if you are going to spend more time on the review (which I could feel a little) take that extra read through to peruse each word. Just my two cents, regardless again good review, can't wait for more.

BTW: typing my review for
Splinter Cell: Conviction
in a bit once I get the finishing touches done on my outline for it ([small]yeah I spend TOO much time on this I think...[/small]). So if you're not asleep by the time I get it written and hopefully edited for grammar I'd love to have you read it. It won't go up till Tuesday probably though so no rush.
Woah, missed out your comment there in the flood of conversations I was having. The grammar things have been brought up but I can't seem to find any looking through it, possibly because when I write I type words as someone would speak them so local colloquialisms will pop-up. If you still want me to read through your review I'd be more than happy to do it.

darth jacen

Sith Reviewer
Jul 15, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
I don't mean grammar, I just mean like putting the "d" on a verb like moved, which was missing a few times ;)

And I would love to have you read it...only problem is I got lazy and didn't even start it yet haha. I'll start it in a few hours so it will probably be done later...I hope

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
darth jacen said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
I don't mean grammar, I just mean like putting the "d" on a verb like moved, which was missing a few times ;)

And I would love to have you read it...only problem is I got lazy and didn't even start it yet haha. I'll start it in a few hours so it will probably be done later...I hope
I went through it and found a few of them, I've probably missed some out though. I look forward to it.