It's CARTOON Network, Seriously! how do you fuck that up?

HippySecond

Jun 11, 2008
I was gunna post something snarky about it being a kids channel and kids will watch anything, but I remember those old shows and they FUCKING ROCKED! it sucks what Cartoon Network has been reduced to, maybe they need an anime channel or something similar? :)

Dungus

Nov 18, 2009
I feel sorry for you guys. Lucky as we are, Cartoon Network still airs some of their good shows here, in Belgium. Cartoon Network is a bit behind on programming here, and it's still pretty good. Samourai Jack, Courage, etc..

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Evilsanta said:
So this is what happnend to CN in the US...How sad, as i live in sweden i cant really comment on this but i do feel sorry for the kids that have to watch this crap.
poor brainwashed little shits are probly lost causes that would balk at the shows we grew up watching if we tried to get them to watch the dvd's

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I'm going to get a little off-topic and say instead what i think Cartoon Network needs to do...

1) GET GENNDY TARTAKOVSKY (Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Etc.) BACK! I don't care what it takes, within reason. He WAS Cartoon Network for at least 4 years. He also piloted the Star Wars: Clone Wars before they stole his artwork and turned it into a freakin sitcom... it can be awesome again, I promise.

2) Get rid of those damn reality shows! "CN Real" block consists of: "black kid being stereotypically black on tv", "unholy offspring of Mythbusters and Jackass, Stoners edition", and "every construction/'pimp' show ever, for dummies"... Enter into talks with Nickelodeon; see if you can trade them for Butch Hartman (Fairly Oddparents, etc.). I think that would be a good trade for you, Cartoon Network.

3) (bear with me here) Stop giving Brendan Small (ATHF, Metalocalypse, Harvey Birdman, etc.) so much money, at least until he gets his stuff together for a full production run. I don't care if there's new stuff every day, but once a week would be nice; and none of this "two and a half months production" garbage. Commit to a season and finish it, please! (I'm not saying the shows are bad, just inconsistent, and his pay scale should reflect that. More consistency, more money. That's all I'm saying. He'll be fine anyway from the DVD sales. By the way, buy those DVD's. Consider it a donation to the "stop fking up Cartoon Network" fund.)

4) Take that money and give it to Seth Green (Robot Chicken, Titan Maximum). New seasons of his shows would be a great morale booster until Brendan gets his sh*t together.

5) Remember that comedy shows can be silly without beating us over the head with it. Seriously, compare 'Powerpuff Girls' to 'The Adventures of Flapjack' and you'll see what I mean.

I have more to say, but... most of it has been covered already, and I trust my fellow Escapists to fill in the blanks.

OT: I actually liked the idea behind the "Total Drama" series, because I despise reality shows. A lampoon of every reality show in which stereotypical contestants are made to suffer for no reason other than our amusement... awesome. Though it does have it's "why the f*ck am I watching this crap?" moments... The other animated versions of Nick and Disney sitcoms, on the other hand, not so much. The logic behind inclusion of live action shows and movies still escapes me...

At least they're bringing Futurama back. That proves that they're not all stupid, if not completely original. ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!!

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
Agayek said:
Johnny Bravo
ONE MAN ARMEH.

HOO-HAH! *strike pose!*

EDIT: Is it just me, or is American "reality" TV turning our airwaves into really bad versions of Japanese "extreme" game shows?

XYLM

Feb 13, 2010
thahat said:
you forgot the swatcats! :O shame on you!
but seriusly DBZ and gundam ftw.
and yes the new stuff stucks, although the total drama island is funny, the dutch translation anyway.. when your totally bored that is XD
I used to love watching Swat Kats, I had assumed that it was a lesser known show since no had mentioned it yet.

krazymouse

Apr 7, 2009
WTF are all of you guys talking about? Cartoon Network CLASSICS ARE THE BOMB! I don't care if the video quality is as bad as an N64 game, They actually had violence... REAL FRICKING VIOLENCE! I'm not talking samurai's chopping up robots (although that was a good show), toilet jokes, aliens, and robotic overlords trying to take over the world. What the heck?

TOM AND JERRY! That is a good show, at least it had actual violence in it, even if it didn't show blood. You don't see cartoons have dynamite blow up in peoples faces, or knifes, pins, random chaos. That was amazing

Original Scooby Doo, awesome. It was so funny.

Looney Toons! God knows how many ours I wasted with this show. Even Baby Looney Toons was okay.

Pokemon. No comment

Deadpewl

Jul 23, 2009
RIP:
Billy and Mandy, Toonami (just about all of it),Courage the Cowardly Dog, Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab, and Codename Kids Next Door and Ed,Edd, and Eddy (though to be fair they gave that show a proper burial or in other words an actual fucking ending). I wish more channels were like Commedy Central and actually stuck to what made them great in the first place

They should just rename the channel Williams Street or something and hand it over to the Adult Swim people (I know that Jesus will walk the earth and perform broadway before that happens but a man can dream dammit).

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
crimsonshrouds said:
Seriously how are these good...
Andrew W. K. blowing up and destroying things......I fail to see this as bad. Although it shouldn't be on Cartoon Network.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Cartoon Network is a lot like Nickelodeon...It had it's heyday & then one day it just it tripped & fell down a botomless pit. I remeber the really old days of 2 Stupid Dogs & music video commercials.

I think I stopped watching it in 2005? Not sure. It was whenever they stopped showing Sealab 2021, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, & the Venture Brothers. Next thing I know, Billy & Mandy is the only show they have I like & Toonami gets horrid mainstream shit previously aired on ohter channels. Now I only watch TV in the kitchen while making dinner.

Just pray they don't pull an MTV & replace all their cartoons with kiddie gameshows & child star reality shows.

TheGreenManalishi

May 22, 2008
Dexter's Lab, PowerPuff Girls, Ed Edd n Eddy, Dragon Ball Z. That right there is, essentially, my childhood. It ended with Robotboy. That show was just awful and on ALL THE TIME.

It was about that time when we got rid of CN, haven't watched it since.

Also of note: Johnny Bravo, Cow n Chicken, Animaniacs, Beyblade and Space Ghost Coast to Coast

RIOgreatescapist

Nov 9, 2009
The inspiring art of creating cartoons and by that I mean goddamn decent ones or else it wouldn't have the word "art" in it has long passed. Society changed in negatively and so did the cartoon shows that accompanied it.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
Okay, Imma say it: I fucking HATED SCOOBY-DOO. When it was NEW I hated it! I watched a few episodes until I realized, pre-teen that I was, that it was just repeating the same story and same jokes. I got bored with it and stopped watching.

Then I got pissed off about it because it KEPT ON GOING. Every season, a new version with a new stupid twist on it --- bringing in celebrities who added nothing but their own tired old schticks, Scrappy-Doo, Scooby-Dum, Jesus CHRIST END IT ALREADY.

But no, we got Young Scooby-Doo, the Scooby Movies (actually those were pretty good, mostly), and it just KEPT ON GOING.

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHH

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
I kinda stopped watching Cartoon Network when they stopped showing Megas XLR and Kids Next Door. They really need to bring Megas back!

SteelStallion said:
Ed, Edd and Eddy.

How I miss your money earning antics dearly. R.I.P
Your avatar is Demented Shaman.

You win 100 cookies.

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
crimsonshrouds said:
Nostalgia maybe clouding my judgment but how is cartoon network now gotten so bad? Was it brought on by the people making choices at the top that completely ignored what people liked to watch when they started making decisions in favor of feeding the octopus that lives in their heads?

Terry: Hey Gonad, People like reality TV show. So lets make a cartoon based on a reality tv show.

Gonad: Alright but lets also make all the characters totally unlikable stereotypes and all the show will try to be is nothing but a poorly made comedy that was written by monkeys who just got done sniffing glue.
Are you talking about Drawn Together? If so we cannot be friends and I will not invite you to my birthday party.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
If it wasn't for Flapjack, Chowder, and Adventure Time, I'd have pretty much zero interest in anything Cartoon Network shows these days. They were at their height back when they had "Cartoon Cartoon Fridays" and, yes, Toonami.

Shoot, I guess I've nothing new to say that hasn't already been said. Whatever executive committee decided to put something other than cartoons on Cartoon Network forever has the attention of a very black place in my heart.