Aug 27, 2013
It's Not a Gift, It's a Curse

Romance is a dish served in a variety of flavors

Read Full Article

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, I don't get it. Unless its exactly as it appears and there's nothing more to get, of course.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
And with the slaying of his beloved girlfriend, Buggs swears a lifetime of constant torture and humiliation upon Daffy. "DUCK SEASON!"

I am red/green colorblind. But the girl rabbit (pearls) in the last panel looks brown. It may be grey, in which case I apologize for the question. The girl bunny in the first panel (dress) is white. So there does not appear to be a link between the characters in the first panel and the last. Is the duck simply burning the forest and striking out against all rabbits?

Pointillismed! First panel obviously takes place on the Island of La Grande Jatte.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
TopazFusion said:
What's the relation between rabbits and eggs anyway? I never did get that.
I've always assumed the link was Spring, where we see a plethora of both. Egg decoration has strong roots in Poland, though the actual practice pre-dates Christianity, where as the Easter Hare is a German Lutehran tradition. Seems natural that two Springtime traditions would get linked rather heavily. Just my 2 cents.

Domogo

Aug 7, 2012
Yea I can tell Im going to enjoy this comic quite a bit. Keep up the good flavor text as well, it really makes a difference.

Nosirrah

Apr 16, 2013
The Real Sandman said:
Well that egg-scalated quickly.

Sorry.
You are going to burn in hell, fur a very long time.

OT:
How do you know what blood tastes like? *backs away slowly*

moonchild62

Sep 4, 2013
If only the rabbit had spared the rest of the eggs in the nest maybe the duck wouldn't have retaliated in such a severe manner.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
TopazFusion said:
What's the relation between rabbits and eggs anyway? I never did get that.
Eggs and massive plethora of rabbits = fertility.

OT: Where'd the duck get the sword?

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I don't get it.
And if theres nothing to get, why is this still being featured? This isn't so much content as it is 'filling space'

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
Apologies if I am too obscure.

It is difficult to capture the complex relationship between rabbit and duck in one vignette.
Their feud is ages old and their motives, forgotten over time.
I think the only thing to take away from this is that if rabbits can wear clothes
than ducks can wield machetes. It is a message that Beatrix Potter failed to deliver.

Gorrath is spot on with the egg observation.
Eggselsior!

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Nick Lerman said:
It is difficult to capture the complex relationship between rabbit and duck in one vignette.
Their feud is ages old and their motives, forgotten over time.
I think the only thing to take away from this is that if rabbits can wear clothes
then ducks can wield machetes. It is a message that Beatrix Potter failed to deliver.
^THIS^ is why you you comes here. This surreal complementing dialogue to the lamentations of the unimpressed. Keep spooning out dollups of weird, Nick.

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
Thank you Clankenbeard. I will do so until my spoon is too heavy to lift.

I forgot to address your initial astute observations.
That bunny fleeing in the last image is, in fact, the male from the first image.
If you recall, at the end of Njáls saga, Helgi Njálsson attempts to flee the burning of his house disguised as a woman.
A similar fate has befallen the burrow. Helgi was discovered and subsequently perished from a grievous head wound.

Perhaps I should have included images of bunnies burning and ducks hacking but I prefer to leave that to your imagination.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Why specifically Scandinavian Medieval vengeance?

moonchild62 said:
If only the rabbit had spared the rest of the eggs in the nest maybe the duck wouldn't have retaliated in such a severe manner.
Yeah, you know, it's a real relief when only one of your children is devoured by rabid beasts (pun intended).

l3o2828 said:
I don't get it.
And if theres nothing to get, why is this still being featured? Here This isn't so much content as it is 'filling space'
That is the space where you went from science to assumption. Socrates would have wept, knowing that he died for this.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Clankenbeard said:
And with the slaying of his beloved girlfriend, Buggs swears a lifetime of constant torture and humiliation upon Daffy. "DUCK SEASON!"

I am red/green colorblind. But the girl rabbit (pearls) in the last panel looks brown. It may be grey, in which case I apologize for the question. The girl bunny in the first panel (dress) is white. So there does not appear to be a link between the characters in the first panel and the last. Is the duck simply burning the forest and striking out against all rabbits?

Pointillismed! First panel obviously takes place on the Island of La Grande Jatte.
I took this to be an effect of sundown in the last picture.

Alternatively, and more likely, it's just some other rabbit she's attacking because she's gone on a Batman-style crusade.

MrFinnishDude

Apr 1, 2011
Umm...

So the story is that the brown boy rabbit stole her gray girlfriend an egg.
Then the swan found her nest ruined and filled with rabbit trails.
And then the swan thinks the brown girl rabbit stole her eggs and kills her.
That means the brown boy rabbit unknowingly killed someone with his gesture of love.

I suppose this is a nice story even though the entire thing is pretty weird.

Are you trying to say that one person's happiness can lead to other person's misery?

Nick Lerman

Aug 27, 2013
Farther than stars said:
Why specifically Scandinavian Medieval vengeance?
The classic struggle of duck versus rabbit was well represented by the cartoons of my youth.
They harken back the blood feuds found in medieval Scandinavian literature.
One insult begets another until duck entrails hang from trees and rabbit teeth spill on to the ice.
It almost always ends in fire.

MrFinnishDude, it's not enough that duck or rabbit succeed but that the other must also fail and preferably die
in a fire.