It's Official: Hulu's Coming to Xbox Live

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
It's Official: Hulu's Coming to Xbox Live

Hulu Plus is not only coming to Microsoft's console, but it's going to be free for a week.

It's been a long time coming, but <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109625-Rumor-Hulu-Plus-for-the-Xbox-Coming-April-29>hot on the heels of rumors about Hulu Plus coming to the Xbox 360, it's now been confirmed that the service is going to be appearing on the console. Oh, and, guess what? It's starting up tomorrow.

The best part about this, though, is that Jack Link's Beef Jerky is unlocking Hulu Plus for Live users for a week, from April 29th through May 6th. The sponsorship will be available for all Xbox 360 owners, regardless of their type of Live membership they have. If users want to pony up the $7.99 monthly fee for the service afterwards, they'll be able to watch current seasons of TV shows from channels like ABC, Comedy Central, Fox, NBC, and MTV, as well as classic movies from the Criterion Collection.

Up until now, I've been avoiding Hulu Plus, mainly because I don't use the site often enough to justify another subscription in my life. However, being able to stream commercial-free episodes of my favorite shows on my Xbox is suddenly a lot more appealing. You can bet that I'll be taking part in the free trial.

Source: <a href=http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Hulu-Plus/Home>Xbox

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
This is interesting.
If I didn't have Netflix, I'd be all up on this, but I'm not going to add another $8 a month to my bills for a few extra TV shows that I might not even watch.
Still, I'll enjoy the free trial.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
You know what'd be nice? An australian realease (or anywhere else that's not in north america, for that matter). Yes, I gripe, but it still gets to me that all this content is being withheld from me because of my choice in country.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
Will hulu be available in the UK through this (seeing as my experience with hulu is frustration of it only being available in america and annoyance that the uk doesn't have anything with as big a pile, or at least i don't think it does)

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
And here I am stuck at college over the weekend! ARG!
Might as well get ready for finals.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Porygon-2000 said:
You know what'd be nice? An australian realease (or anywhere else that's not in north america, for that matter). Yes, I gripe, but it still gets to me that all this content is being withheld from me because of my choice in country.
I'm surprised XBOX Live lets us play against other users online!

There really should be service package-based pricing structures for Live. Is it really that hard to do?

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
HankMan said:
Psh, nobody cares about finals. Oh, wait... dammit. Stupid senior year.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
vansau said:
However, being able to stream commercial-free episodes of my favorite shows on my Xbox is suddenly a lot more appealing.
What? Yesterday they said it still had commercials if you stream Hulu Plus to a console. Did they change their minds?

Anyway if they're going to give it free for a week, I'll take a look. Thanks, Jack Links!

Porygon-2000 said:
drbarno said:
Will hulu be available in the UK through this (seeing as my experience with hulu is frustration of it only being available in america and annoyance that the uk doesn't have anything with as big a pile, or at least i don't think it does)
You guys know it's not because Microsoft says "Fuck Australia and fuck the UK! USA 4 life!", right? First of all, it's two services here, Xbox Live and Hulu Plus. And then, you have all the different TV networks that Hulu has to get deals with to be able to use their shows. It's a whole big pile of contracts and licensing and all sorts of nasty legal shit that would probably make my brain explode if I had to read any of it. But the point is, it's not as simple as Microsoft being able to give it to everyone but they don't feel like doing so.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
So, this is everything on Hulu, right?

Just a question, does this mean that if I pay the XBL fee, then I can watch Hulu Plus on my computer, right?

And another one: I don't have cable, but I was wanting to watch The Walking Dead, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, etc. - are these on Hulu Plus?

EDIT: FUCK, I just realized that next week I have all my finals and have tons to do, so I need to spend all freaking week studying for them. That means I won't get to watch anything - fuck again.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
There are some shows that are omitted when watching Hulu Plus on your console. I have no idea what they are though. There are commercials though. That should be pointed out.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
believer258 said:
So, this is everything on Hulu, right?

Just a question, does this mean that if I pay the XBL fee, then I can watch Hulu Plus on my computer, right?

And another one: I don't have cable, but I was wanting to watch The Walking Dead, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, etc. - are these on Hulu Plus?
Go look on their website. You can see their entire library.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"However, being able to stream commercial-free episodes of my favorite shows on my Xbox is suddenly a lot more appealing."

*insert necessary, "how much are they paying you?!" gag*

OT: So for a week its free, and then you have to pay for Hulu on top of paying for Gold? Correct?

If only there was some sort of device that allowed us to bypass the XBL cost, and pay for only Hulu. But where would we find such a thing, and what would it be called?! And let's face it, you'd never find one of those hypothetical devices already existing inside the majority of households today.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Woodsey said:
"However, being able to stream commercial-free episodes of my favorite shows on my Xbox is suddenly a lot more appealing."

OT: So for a week its free, and then you have to pay for Hulu on top of paying for Gold? Correct?
Yep.

Honestly, $60 a year for online gaming isn't really as much as it sounds, and $8 a month for high quality instant on-demand TV is a better deal than pretty much any other cable deal out there. I can't ask for a better deal as far as Hulu goes...

...now, MS did raise the price from $50/yr to $60/yr. Damn, I have to pay a whole $10 more per year? Fucking money grubbing greedy bastards...[/sarcasm]

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
mjc0961 said:
You guys know it's not because Microsoft says "Fuck Australia and fuck the UK! USA 4 life!", right? First of all, it's two services here, Xbox Live and Hulu Plus. And then, you have all the different TV networks that Hulu has to get deals with to be able to use their shows. It's a whole big pile of contracts and licensing and all sorts of nasty legal shit that would probably make my brain explode if I had to read any of it. But the point is, it's not as simple as Microsoft being able to give it to everyone but they don't feel like doing so.
This may be true, but that fact is that Microsoft is willing to put in the effort to provide it for America, but nowhere else. The American XBox live has ESPN, Last.fm, Netflix and now they have Hulu. Australian XBox just got foxtel. Yay? On top of this, the American store also has a section dedicated to indie titles. You remember those cool $1-$3 RPG's that everyone seems to be talking about, like the Cthulu one? The ones that are exclusive to XBox? There is, quite literally, no feasible way of purchasing those games in Australia, because they're simply not offered here.

Maybe it is a lot of paperwork, but the fact of the matter is that Microsoft is able and willing to do it, as long as it's only for Americans, apparently.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
believer258 said:
Woodsey said:

Yep.

Honestly, $60 a year for online gaming isn't really as much as it sounds, and $8 a month for high quality instant on-demand TV is a better deal than pretty much any other cable deal out there. I can't ask for a better deal as far as Hulu goes...

...now, MS did raise the price from $50/yr to $60/yr. Damn, I have to pay a whole $10 more per year? Fucking money grubbing greedy bastards...[/sarcasm]
Small cost when viewed on its own, large cost when you view it in relation to what everyone else does and what they're charging you for (the ability to play the other half of your games, and then some needless shit that'd cost less if you just used your PC - like Hulu).

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Andronicus said:
This may be true, but that fact is that Microsoft is willing to put in the effort to provide it for America, but nowhere else.
Okay stop, I can't read past that. The fact is that you have no idea what Microsoft is or isn't trying to do for other regions, or even if it's their call on whether or not Hulu Plus can go to Xbox Live in other regions. Maybe Hulu said no. Maybe some of Hulu's content providers said no. You don't know and I don't know. So the only fact is that you can't accurately blame Microsoft for this.

You can still blame them if you want to pull assumptions out of your behind though, but don't expect me to be on the Microsoft hater train with you. And no, it won't be just because I get Hulu Plus (like I said, I probably won't even use it aside from this free week Jack Links sponsored, and even then I might not use if it they have nothing to watch).

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Free week of actually using my TV to.....watch TV? Hell, seeing as I've been too lazy to hook cable up to it, that sounds pretty good! And hopefully a week will be enough for me to get through all 10 seasons of Stargate SG-1. I wonder if Atlantis, full show, is on Plus? I really ought to check that out.

Also, feels good being out of college, and not having to worry about book-learning anymore. Feels real good.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
One step closure to game consoles becoming the ONE device every house hold needs. I wounder what theyll be called in the future... Net-Box... Display Station... Sii?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Woodsey said:
believer258 said:
Woodsey said:

Yep.

Small cost when viewed on its own, large cost when you view it in relation to what everyone else does and what they're charging you for (the ability to play the other half of your games, and then some needless shit that'd cost less if you just used your PC - like Hulu).
That's what always bugged be about LIVE, it's not the fact that it charges you to play half of your game (they could very well need the money to run the servers, though that's another topic for another day), it's that they keep piling on these arbitrary features with no relation to gaming that anybody with a PC would already have access to for 10 times as long for infinitely less cash.

If $8 a month is worth (supposedly) ad-free TV shows, when you can watch said TV shows on your PC for free, to you then more power to you I suppose. Not going to tell you how to spend your money.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Andronicus said:
This may be true, but that fact is that Microsoft is willing to put in the effort to provide it for America, but nowhere else.
Okay stop, I can't read past that. The fact is that you have no idea what Microsoft is or isn't trying to do for other regions, or even if it's their call on whether or not Hulu Plus can go to Xbox Live in other regions. Maybe Hulu said no. Maybe some of Hulu's content providers said no. You don't know and I don't know. So the only fact is that you can't accurately blame Microsoft for this.

You can still blame them if you want to pull assumptions out of your behind though, but don't expect me to be on the Microsoft hater train with you. And no, it won't be just because I get Hulu Plus (like I said, I probably won't even use it aside from this free week Jack Links sponsored, and even then I might not use if it they have nothing to watch).
Thing is, it still just feels like we're getting screwed by paying full price for a small fraction of content. I'm aware there are many factors that decide this sort of service's limitations and distribution: doesn't make it feel like less of a kick in the balls though :(

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Jumplion said:
Woodsey said:
believer258 said:
Woodsey said:

Yep.

That's what always bugged be about LIVE, it's not the fact that it charges you to play half of your game (they could very well need the money to run the servers, though that's another topic for another day), it's that they keep piling on these arbitrary features with no relation to gaming that anybody with a PC would already have access to for 10 times as long for infinitely less cash.

If $8 a month is worth (supposedly) ad-free TV shows, when you can watch said TV shows on your PC for free, to you then more power to you I suppose. Not going to tell you how to spend your money.
I was under the impression that this was Hulu Plus- the paid for version? Not the free one?

Unless by free, you're referring to using sources outside of Hulu, in which case, I'm afraid you're missing the point entirely.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The Bandit said:
I was under the impression that this was Hulu Plus- the paid for version? Not the free one?

Unless by free, you're referring to using sources outside of Hulu, in which case, I'm afraid you're missing the point entirely.
I was talking about Hulu [http://www.hulu.com/] on the PC, which, as far as I know, is free.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Oh that sounds like an awesome feature to have for a console....
And Xbox scored another point in its endless war vs Sony Play Station....

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Jumplion said:
The Bandit said:

I was talking about Hulu [http://www.hulu.com/] on the PC, which, as far as I know, is free.
It used to be free. Then they realized that they could make money by removing all free episodes and forcing you to pay a subscription to get them back.

Bu6t TV shack still exists so fuck Hulu. Stupid sellouts.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I guess I just can't justify this as a purchase. Netflix does almost as much current Tv, more past TV, and infinitely more movies. Also it's a little bit cheaper. I already used it to catch up on the few shows in my list (Twin Peaks, Battlestar Galactica, Arrested Development...).

So, maybe later, but even then only if they drop their commercials. Seriously.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Guess what I'm not buying on Xbox?

... Hulu. Just in case you didn't know

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
I'd never pay for my cable subscription a second time, but I won't pass up a free trial. This will be on my list of features to keep an eye on, though.

Also, the people arguing over whether this will be available in their country got me thinking; if we can't even get past geographic boundaries in this day and age, do we have any hope at all of organizing between Earth and a planned Mars colony? I mean, we're racist and hateful against people who look like us. Imagine what would happen if we did discover alien life, or if we became classified as Martians. We have a long way to go, still.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Weird, I guess I just assumed that 360 got Hulu the same time ps3 did... not that you CAN watch hulu on ps3 right now...

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Hulu has so many commercials now it is just as bad as broadcast. The commercials are a bit more intelligent but I counted something like 8 minutes of ads in a 21 minute simpsons episode.

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
I scoffed at Netflix and that is a major part of my Xbox time now, so I'll give this a shot as well and hope for the best.
*fingers crossed*

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
I like the concept of Hulu, sadly we don't get that here in Norway.

Sadly Hulu doesn't have "everything" which means it is still a tad behind being a better product than piracy.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Is this region free?

I am technically living in Iceland but my Xbox live account is registered on the UK since Iceland isn't officially supported.

EDIT: I just turned my Xbox on but I can't find this. Its not there yet?

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Wow. With this and Facebook on there, the Escapist is pretty much the only thing keeping me on my computer.

^_^

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Well this is good news for everybody... unless you live in a country where Hulu doesn't exist, in which case it's just Microsoft pouring time and money into another feature you'll never see the shadow of.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Probably not going to be available in Europe.
We just have to wait and hope that our channels pick up the new series. instead of endless reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
vansau said:
HankMan said:
Psh, nobody cares about finals. Oh, wait... dammit. Stupid senior year.
Tell me about it...

OT: We in Poland don't even have a "trailers" section, not to mention the indie part of XBL or other bonuses. When I look at the Social Media campaign they are doing over facebook, it makes me want to punch the screen badly. I am sure Australia has much more content on XBL than we do.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Thats wonderful, but I would suggest clarifying in the headline.. HULUPLUS is coming, not HULU

Huge difference between a fading platforms free service, and their "milk the customer out of anything they are dumb enough to give away" platform. Seriously, I genuinely feel for those who actually buy HULU plus. Your giving hulu your money for what is becoming an inferior platform, and you get nothing of value out of it.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
vansau said:
However, being able to stream commercial-free episodes of my favorite shows on my Xbox is suddenly a lot more appealing. You can bet that I'll be taking part in the free trial.
I subscribed to Hulu Plus for about six months for the PS3. The whole time I had it, it was not commercial free. When I cancelled, they give that little questionnaire asking me why I cancelled, the top option was commercials. I picked it.

I'm hoping that means eventually Hulu Plus is commercial free, but really, at the moment, what you will be paying for is the nice interface on your console. It is nice, but still... commercials? I swear, I cannot hear that Matt White song "Love" without throwing something. I was catching up on some Fringe and saw that damn McDonald's commercial fifty times in one day.

Also, in my experience, it was much more laggy than Netflix on the console. The audio track often didn't sync up with the video track. Just a little FYI. Hopefully, like Netflix, it will get better in time.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
This is pretty good. I'm a fan of some of the shows Hulu distributes, so I'll be taking advantage of this first free week if I can.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Sorry my friend, I'm sure others have pointed it out before but you pay for the privilege of viewing a few commercials.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
mjc0961 said:
vansau said:
However, being able to stream commercial-free episodes of my favorite shows on my Xbox is suddenly a lot more appealing.
What? Yesterday they said it still had commercials if you stream Hulu Plus to a console. Did they change their minds?

Anyway if they're going to give it free for a week, I'll take a look. Thanks, Jack Links!
I just tested it out. It isn't commercial free. But still it is cool. The HD seems better streaming through my 360 to my 32 inch HDTV than it does streaming it from Hulu on my computer to that same TV.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
GeorgW said:
I'm assuming it's NA only? Could someone confirm?
Yes it is only the main 50 states of the US. It says it in the fine print. That is where they get people.

water_bearer

Dec 7, 2006
I just downloaded and tried this, I don't know why everyone is saying it's ad free, it totally has ads, at least for now. And this software doesn't seem to keep a media "bookmark" like Netflix does on Xbox, so if stop a show midway, or if you get disconnected, you can just resume where the show got cut off. Very annoying functional oversight.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well, just got back from trying it. Everything I'd care to watch either isn't on the service at all, or is there but is web only. So Hulu definitely isn't going to be getting me as a new customer next week. If I do want to watch any of their stuff, I can apparently just do it online for free.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
PunkRex said:
One step closure to game consoles becoming the ONE device every house hold needs. I wounder what theyll be called in the future... Net-Box... Display Station... Sii?
I always liked OggleBox.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I don't use Hulu because it only shows pieces of a season of some shows I'm interested in. When I'm trying to catch up on a semi-older show that I've only recently discovered, Hulu does not give me the entire show.

Which is understandable, all those box sets in Wal-Mart would be unsellable. But I'm just stating why I don't use Hulu.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
How many devices can you have Hulu Plus on?
Is there any extra charge?

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
I am perplexed as to why they would release this with how it is set up right now. It gotta hurt their branding.

I don't think I am super-demanding or anything like that but this is what hits me within 20 minutes of just playing around with Hulu Plus on the 360:

1) There is a lot that is just plain missing.
2) A lot that is there is web only, so what is the point?
3) A minor annoyance is that I am paying per month to watch a TV show here and there(When I can find one I would care to watch), but I get commercials breaks. (Ok.. they are limited breaks but still)

On the positive side is that when I do find something to stream the quality of the video is just fine. And I am pleased to see what I am assuming is the entire Criterion collection available on it, so it's not like it was an entirely negative experience.

However, overall I am very disappointed and it's not because I expected to be able to replace my cable package with Hulu Plus, it's just that I expected more variety and selection of shows that I actually want to watch.

I might agree to start paying for the service if only to see where it goes from here as I think the idea is pretty sound, it's just that as it stands right now I am certainly having a WTF moment.

Nashidar

Jun 2, 2010
And yet, with all this ELECTRONIC technology being delivered over the INTERNET - I'm not allowed to view it because I live in a different country (Australia).

So yes - who cares? Not me. Sites like The Escapist, etc really need to start addressing their articles to the International audience. This way it might actually get companies like Amazon, etc to start catering for the International audience instead of being so US focused.

It makes NO SENSE to restrict viewing based on country location in this day and age. You want to stop piracy? Well you know the answer.

Not everybody lives in the US of bloody A (yes ...I'm angry).