It's Official: Hulu's Coming to Xbox Live

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Woodsey said:
believer258 said:
Woodsey said:
"However, being able to stream commercial-free episodes of my favorite shows on my Xbox is suddenly a lot more appealing."

*insert necessary, "how much are they paying you?!" gag*

OT: So for a week its free, and then you have to pay for Hulu on top of paying for Gold? Correct?
Yep.

Honestly, $60 a year for online gaming isn't really as much as it sounds, and $8 a month for high quality instant on-demand TV is a better deal than pretty much any other cable deal out there. I can't ask for a better deal as far as Hulu goes...

...now, MS did raise the price from $50/yr to $60/yr. Damn, I have to pay a whole $10 more per year? Fucking money grubbing greedy bastards...[/sarcasm]
Small cost when viewed on its own, large cost when you view it in relation to what everyone else does and what they're charging you for (the ability to play the other half of your games, and then some needless shit that'd cost less if you just used your PC - like Hulu).
That's what always bugged be about LIVE, it's not the fact that it charges you to play half of your game (they could very well need the money to run the servers, though that's another topic for another day), it's that they keep piling on these arbitrary features with no relation to gaming that anybody with a PC would already have access to for 10 times as long for infinitely less cash.

If $8 a month is worth (supposedly) ad-free TV shows, when you can watch said TV shows on your PC for free, to you then more power to you I suppose. Not going to tell you how to spend your money.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Andronicus said:
This may be true, but that fact is that Microsoft is willing to put in the effort to provide it for America, but nowhere else.
Okay stop, I can't read past that. The fact is that you have no idea what Microsoft is or isn't trying to do for other regions, or even if it's their call on whether or not Hulu Plus can go to Xbox Live in other regions. Maybe Hulu said no. Maybe some of Hulu's content providers said no. You don't know and I don't know. So the only fact is that you can't accurately blame Microsoft for this.

You can still blame them if you want to pull assumptions out of your behind though, but don't expect me to be on the Microsoft hater train with you. And no, it won't be just because I get Hulu Plus (like I said, I probably won't even use it aside from this free week Jack Links sponsored, and even then I might not use if it they have nothing to watch).
Thing is, it still just feels like we're getting screwed by paying full price for a small fraction of content. I'm aware there are many factors that decide this sort of service's limitations and distribution: doesn't make it feel like less of a kick in the balls though :(

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Jumplion said:
Woodsey said:
believer258 said:
Woodsey said:
"However, being able to stream commercial-free episodes of my favorite shows on my Xbox is suddenly a lot more appealing."

*insert necessary, "how much are they paying you?!" gag*

OT: So for a week its free, and then you have to pay for Hulu on top of paying for Gold? Correct?
Yep.

Honestly, $60 a year for online gaming isn't really as much as it sounds, and $8 a month for high quality instant on-demand TV is a better deal than pretty much any other cable deal out there. I can't ask for a better deal as far as Hulu goes...

...now, MS did raise the price from $50/yr to $60/yr. Damn, I have to pay a whole $10 more per year? Fucking money grubbing greedy bastards...[/sarcasm]
Small cost when viewed on its own, large cost when you view it in relation to what everyone else does and what they're charging you for (the ability to play the other half of your games, and then some needless shit that'd cost less if you just used your PC - like Hulu).
That's what always bugged be about LIVE, it's not the fact that it charges you to play half of your game (they could very well need the money to run the servers, though that's another topic for another day), it's that they keep piling on these arbitrary features with no relation to gaming that anybody with a PC would already have access to for 10 times as long for infinitely less cash.

If $8 a month is worth (supposedly) ad-free TV shows, when you can watch said TV shows on your PC for free, to you then more power to you I suppose. Not going to tell you how to spend your money.
I was under the impression that this was Hulu Plus- the paid for version? Not the free one?

Unless by free, you're referring to using sources outside of Hulu, in which case, I'm afraid you're missing the point entirely.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The Bandit said:
I was under the impression that this was Hulu Plus- the paid for version? Not the free one?

Unless by free, you're referring to using sources outside of Hulu, in which case, I'm afraid you're missing the point entirely.
I was talking about Hulu [http://www.hulu.com/] on the PC, which, as far as I know, is free.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Oh that sounds like an awesome feature to have for a console....
And Xbox scored another point in its endless war vs Sony Play Station....

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Jumplion said:
The Bandit said:

I was talking about Hulu [http://www.hulu.com/] on the PC, which, as far as I know, is free.
It used to be free. Then they realized that they could make money by removing all free episodes and forcing you to pay a subscription to get them back.

Bu6t TV shack still exists so fuck Hulu. Stupid sellouts.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I guess I just can't justify this as a purchase. Netflix does almost as much current Tv, more past TV, and infinitely more movies. Also it's a little bit cheaper. I already used it to catch up on the few shows in my list (Twin Peaks, Battlestar Galactica, Arrested Development...).

So, maybe later, but even then only if they drop their commercials. Seriously.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
I'd never pay for my cable subscription a second time, but I won't pass up a free trial. This will be on my list of features to keep an eye on, though.

Also, the people arguing over whether this will be available in their country got me thinking; if we can't even get past geographic boundaries in this day and age, do we have any hope at all of organizing between Earth and a planned Mars colony? I mean, we're racist and hateful against people who look like us. Imagine what would happen if we did discover alien life, or if we became classified as Martians. We have a long way to go, still.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Weird, I guess I just assumed that 360 got Hulu the same time ps3 did... not that you CAN watch hulu on ps3 right now...

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Hulu has so many commercials now it is just as bad as broadcast. The commercials are a bit more intelligent but I counted something like 8 minutes of ads in a 21 minute simpsons episode.

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
I scoffed at Netflix and that is a major part of my Xbox time now, so I'll give this a shot as well and hope for the best.
*fingers crossed*

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
I like the concept of Hulu, sadly we don't get that here in Norway.

Sadly Hulu doesn't have "everything" which means it is still a tad behind being a better product than piracy.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Wow. With this and Facebook on there, the Escapist is pretty much the only thing keeping me on my computer.

^_^

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Well this is good news for everybody... unless you live in a country where Hulu doesn't exist, in which case it's just Microsoft pouring time and money into another feature you'll never see the shadow of.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Probably not going to be available in Europe.
We just have to wait and hope that our channels pick up the new series. instead of endless reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond.