It's Official - The Animated Film Adaptation of The Killing Joke is Rated R

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Yeah. I have no problem with this... Killing Joke would not work as a PG adaptation.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mmm I don't remember it being that violence other then that bit in the flashback (those goon got what they deserve for conning in the would be Joker).

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
DoctorM said:
It sounds more like it's being produced AS IF it's rated R?

Sigh, I blame Deadpool: This is why we can't have nice things.
The movie was announced to possibly being R before deadpool came out for one thing and two This movie is really fucked up in parts it would not fit a PG-13 or whatever it needed to be R to do the source material justice.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
At this point, if it isn't Star Wars that kills him, it's going to be the Joker voice that ends up getting Hamill.

He suffers for our happiness.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
You can say they already intended this to be R-rated before Deadpool, but don't make any mistakes, this is a corporate decision.
Direct to video animation is intended for a younger demographic and PG-13 was as far as any studio was willing to allow for superhero based material up until Deadpool made all the money.

I'm curious to see if there is any backlash. Deadpool was at least live action. Direct to video animation tends to be the domain of parents who need an 'electronic babysitter'.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to watch the hell out of this.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
DoctorM said:
I'm confused, it was my understanding that MPAA ratings were only given to features being THEATRICALLY released.
Do they have plans to not release 'Killing Joke' direct to video release like every other DC Universe Animated Original Movies?
I wish it would get a theatrical release.

And I wish it would make more money at the box office than Man of Steel and Superman Vs. Batman combined, just to give DC a clue what kind of material audiences respond to.

And as long as I'm wishing, I want a pony.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
DoctorM said:
I'm confused, it was my understanding that MPAA ratings were only given to features being THEATRICALLY released.
Do they have plans to not release 'Killing Joke' direct to video release like every other DC Universe Animated Original Movies?
I wish it would get a theatrical release.

And I wish it would make more money at the box office than Man of Steel and Superman Vs. Batman combined, just to give DC a clue what kind of material audiences respond to.

And as long as I'm wishing, I want a pony.
I completely agree. Btw, your Pony will come via USPS.