It's Official: The Elder Scrolls Online is Going Buy-to-Play

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
Incorrect title. Correct title:
Elder Scrolls Online is removing required subscriptions.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Maybe I'll check this out with my brother. We were interested, but my younger brother has no money, and I have enough subscription services to pay for myself that I didn't need another one. Hopefully going free to play won't welcome too many toxic members of the internet.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Could... they make it single player offline... XD
TBH it being free to play isn't the solution to the problem.

Still
-$15 for a horse.
-Glitchy as hell, this week it's been launcher problems for a few peeps.
-Broken Quests.
-Incredibly good phasing, mixed with incredibly bad phasing.
-Gold Farming Bots.
-No local servers (Melb, Australia, 300-500 ping).

Also the new "ESO Plus" sounds a lot like what SWTOR did. Not good...

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Wildstar is the sole mmo to still require subs, aside from wow. They should be going f2p themselves soon. Subscription models for mmo's need to go. Back when wow first launched the tech was new and servers maybe justified the monthly sub, but these days it feels like a rip-off.

A no sub model, with optional expacs is the best value imo

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Raioken18 said:
Could... they make it single player offline... XD
TBH it being free to play isn't the solution to the problem.

Still
-$15 for a horse.
-Glitchy as hell, this week it's been launcher problems for a few peeps.
-Broken Quests.
-Incredibly good phasing, mixed with incredibly bad phasing.
-Gold Farming Bots.
-No local servers (Melb, Australia, 300-500 ping).

Also the new "ESO Plus" sounds a lot like what SWTOR did. Not good...
-Don't buy the horse then it's completely optional. You can get it in game for 17k gold which takes about 10-15 levels to get and honestly you won't really need it until then.
-Game is not very glitchy at all anymore
-Quests are all fixed aside from an occasional issue that's usually solved by relogging. I've not had a single issue with quests aside from one very very minor quest back in July that I had to drop because the NPC wasn't spawning correctly.
-Phasing still needs to be addressed, I'll grant you that
-Gold farming is completely gone. I haven't seen a bot or a chat spam since May
-Australia is screwed, sadly.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I did not want this! I liked the community that had built up around this game. It was robust enough to always feel full, while simultaneously creating a barrier for the more disruptive influences that have ruined so many other MMOs. Now that barrier is gone and I have not an umbrella big enough for the shitstorm that is to come.

Captcha: boiled cabbage. Yes indeed, Captcha, yes indeed.

Sgt Pepper

Dec 7, 2009
Alexander Kirby said:
So if the base game still needs to be purchased I don't understand why EB Games were taking it off their shelves.
Technically they're releasing a different edition, if you look at the ESO announcement they even mention the PC/Mac release is March 17th.

Starke said:
By the same logic, how can the "removing the six month sub means imminent F2P!" be the case, when the subscription system will still be in place.
I'm guessing so people who are currently on 6 months subs (it was only removed as an option for those who didn't already have this) don't find they renewed and have too much time left on it when the new payment model comes in. This, at least, gives them the option to cancel renewal now.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
TESO is not free 2 play. It just has no subscription left. Please change the OT or someone mention that. It gives a false impression.

You still have to buy a full price game and there's a ingame-shop. Just the subscription fee is gone.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
As has been said before;

Free to play = Full priced game littered with micro-transactions and extra subbing options, now?

Isnt that having your cake, eating it then finishing off the entire buffet table? Defiance went free to play recently, you know, the one where it is actually free...to...play?

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
They would probably get more players/more transactions if the game was actually free to play. A lot of people still aren't going to buy the base game even with no subscription fees.

Well I suppose if someone is going do free to play the wrong way, it is not surprising that it would be them.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
At least Old Republic removed the need to buy the game when they introduced F2P, they even give non subscribers access to gameplay additions like Galactic Starfighter and Strongholds, just a month after subscribers get access

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"a monthly allotment of crowns (premium currency)"
I REALLLLLY hope that did not exist before it went "F2P"!

Anyway, now it's up to the "whales"; how long will they throw enough wads of cash at it before it's no longer profitable enough?!

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Time to dust off the launcher and patch it back up.
See you in March, Bethesda.

natenate95

Invalid CD key
Nov 5, 2008
Dendio said:
Wildstar is the sole mmo to still require subs, aside from wow. They should be going f2p themselves soon. Subscription models for mmo's need to go. Back when wow first launched the tech was new and servers maybe justified the monthly sub, but these days it feels like a rip-off.

A no sub model, with optional expacs is the best value imo
EVE online.

Maybe the market and studio heads will finally, finally realize that themeparks are no longer a long-term moneymaker they use to be. I for one, look forward to actual mmo attempts on the horizon.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I beta'd this game and it was...ugh frustrating to say the least. I liked aspects of it, while some just screamed at me "THIS IS NOT RIGHT FOR AN MMO AND FEELS SO WONKY AND BROKEN"

Plus that economy debacle at it's launch did not help matters.

If you want a free hackn'slashy MMO experience I recommend Tera. That game is constantly improving on it's formula and feels right.

ESO feels like they tried to grab at the experience of an Elder Scrolls game and make it cross breed with a 'standard MMO' creature.

And what came out wasn't a very strong or agile beast.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
SWTOR hasn't died since it's F2P change, so... I'd like to know wich former subscription based F2P MMOs have shut down before, aside from City of Heroes and Vanguard of course.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Whoa.
I kinda want to play it now. Honestly? The fact that it is a paid MMO turned me off completely I don't even known that much about it. I wonder if it is worth my time.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
"a monthly allotment of crowns (premium currency)"
I REALLLLLY hope that did not exist before it went "F2P"!

Anyway, now it's up to the "whales"; how long will they throw enough wads of cash at it before it's no longer profitable enough?!
Crowns are new. They're not in game yet, anyway. And, supposedly won't be until March 17. They'll be on PTS sometime next week (maybe), so there'll be more info then.

The only thing they seem to have done was push the 10% XP, Gold, and research bonuses live. I was trying to figure out why my research timers were lower than they should be, back in December, I guess now I know.