It's Old Flames Only in Mass Effect 3, Says BioWare [UPDATED]

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
It's Old Flames Only in Mass Effect 3, Says BioWare [UPDATED]

Your romantic choices may come back to haunt you, says Mass Effect 3's project leader.

If you've been waiting for just the right man/woman/flying jellyfish to come along in the Mass Effect series, then prepare to be disappointed, because BioWare says that it isn't adding any new love interests to the third game.

Casey Hudson, executive producer and project lead for Mass Effect 3 said that none of the game's new characters were part of the series' romantic subplots. Instead, all the love interests would come from the first two games, and there would be consequences if the player had been unfaithful. "A lot of people had romances with [the] characters [from Mass Effect 2], and now the fun is bringing back some of those characters from Mass Effect 1 and putting them back in the mix, and looking at what you did in Mass Effect 2 and bringing some ... interesting scenarios around those things."

Hudson said that there was actually a large amount of data to keep track of across the previous two games, as the relationship statuses weren't just binary, yes/no, deals. In both games, there was the opportunity for the player to pursue multiple romantic options before making his or her final choice, and these would all be taken into account. He also said that the romance options taught players to take the decisions they made more seriously. "Sometimes when we do certain things, it makes players realize what kinds of things are possible," he said. "So ... if you had a Mass Effect 1 romance [and] you stay true to the character from the first game, there's a scene where you look at the picture of that character, and that's essentially the romance scene in Mass Effect 2."

"I think when people realized that we were thinking about that kind of thing," he continued, "and that we were going to reflect those kinds of decisions, then it's like 'Wow, the game actually knows that I didn't cheat on my Mass Effect 1 love interest. So if it knows that, then it probably knows other stuff that it will reflect. Then that means I need to think about that stuff [when] talking to characters and making decisions and the like.'"

Hudson has said in the past [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102599-BioWare-Mass-Effect-3-Story-Has-More-Than-a-Thousand-Variables] that there were hundreds of different permutations of the Mass Effect story. Some of them will likely pass under the radar, but the choices made in the romance subplots are going to have repercussions that players will notice. Players will probably enjoy them though, because like Hudson says, even if they're on the awkward side, they're going to be interesting. Does anyone else have the urge to romance Ashley and Jack, just to see the fireworks when they meet?

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC early next year.

Update: According to Hudson, there will be new love interests in Mass Effect 3. What's more, they will finally add lesbian and gay options, something that was notably absent [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99710-BioWare-Explains-Why-Theres-No-Homosexuality-in-Mass-Effect-2] in Mass Effect 2.

Hudson said on Twitter [https://twitter.com/#!/CaseyDHudson] that the idea that there were no new romantic possibilities in Mass Effect 3 was based on "an oversimplification" of an answer he gave over a month ago. The discrepancy between the two answers, he said, was simply a product of the game evolving over time.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/14/bioware-mass-effect-3-has-no-new-love-interests/]

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Well at least this means that the previous possible love interests will at least show up in the game. (Provided you haven't had them killed.)

Edit: Also now people can leave Bioware alone about not including same sex relationships in their games.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
Aint this actually old news? (xcept for the no new romance part, that surprised me).
Also, will Kelly be an "actual" romance in ME3?

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
Harbinger_ said:
Well at least this means that the previous possible love interests will at least show up in the game. (Provided you haven't had them killed.)
Well, that was determined from day 1.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Always faithful to Liara.

In all playthroughs.

I tried to do an Ashley game with my first male Shepard but it felt so wrong I never finished the playthrough.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
That works....if you played Mass effect 1 and 2. Might lose the effect if someone decided to skip directly to Mass effect 3.

Other than that, it looks promising if people doesn't do another Metacritic bomb because of 1 or 2 details.

Herr Wozzeck

Oct 23, 2009
"Does anyone else have the urge to romance Ashley and Jack, just to see the fireworks when they meet?"

One of my Shepards did exactly that. ;)

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: an epic catfight for the ages.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
While this certainly seems interesting (although only the "no new romances" is news to me), I am still somewhat cynical now when Bioware talks about having choices and consequences. There has been very little evidence in Mass Effect so far, and don't get me started on Dragon Age 2.

Here is hoping they live up to their word this time around, this series is great and I want it to end on a positive.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Liara and my Shepard will be fine. I already guessed that ME3 would consider this, and didn't progress with any romances on ME2. It was tempting, since Liara was all crazed about the Shadow Broker and just blew Shepard off before the DLC.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Well this isn't going to end well for me. I pretty much went for building all options and decided at the last minute in both games, and I didn't stay true to the first game's choice (mainly because she acted like she did), so... yea. That kinda sucks to be me. I foresee my Shepard getting yelled at a lot.

Of course, to be fair, I chose Tali the second time and Liara the first. And, had the option been there, I would have chosen Tali in the first or continued my romance with Liara in the second. It's not like I really had much of a choice.

And now I'm explaining myself to imaginary people...

Jul 22, 2009
I don't remember who I chose first time at all... probably Ashley.

Anyway, I'm sticking with Tali if I have to make a choice, that's for sure :3

inglioti

Oct 10, 2009
I struggled so much with the decision between Miranda and Tali. On the one hand, Miranda is amazingly hot, but on the other... MAYBE I'LL SEE WHAT A QUARIAN LOOKS LIKE

Chose Tali, and goddamnit, I knocked over my drink I was so annoyed.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Garrus stayed loyal, Kaiden did not. I hate to say this Kaiden, but we were through the moment you abandoned me in ME2. As for you Liara, you were just a consolation prize when I couldn't have Tali.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
Other than that, it looks promising if people doesn't do another Metacritic bomb because of 1 or 2 details.
I can almost guarantee this will happen no matter what state the game releases in.

And I'll shake my head disappointingly as always as I enjoy playing whatever gets bombed.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
romances in two were awkward, apart from tali. 1 wasnt much better, but it was a lil better. didnt like how miranda was basically bait for the eyes, since her character is very unlikeable

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
I'm actually quite glad there. makes it easier and you wont be thinking "ah wish I hadnt made that choice in ME1!" like it was in 2.

Sinisterspider

Sep 7, 2008
Oh good grief, i couldn't keep away from liara in the first game if i tried but i was only faithful in one playthrough of ME2. every other one was with garrus or tali, great. If the universe explodes because of this i'm going to have a fit.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Oh good. I thought it was ANOTHER game where Shepard can betray his love partner with 12 different females in one evening...