It's probably pc gamers own fault games are becoming console oriented.

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
Lol! ever heard of the expression don't feed the troll. especially the ones that insist they aren't trolling.

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Ugh, the way PC eletists act when they find out somethings bieng dsigned for consoles it disgusting, I almost wish PC gaming would die when the act like that, and I am a pc gamer :/
Just look at the rections to Skyrim and minecraft for the 360.

I cannot agree with you anymore. I am also a PC gamer

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
*Yawn* sometimes i wish PC gamers would get over it, they are lucky games get made at all.

Be thankful your getting these games, some countries don't get these types of luxury's and would die to have what you have.

All of you PC gamers who are complaining...i say this...

Grow up.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
Lionsfan said:
One reason we're (supposedly) seeing more developers turning to console's is because it's a little bit harder to pirate a Console CD than a PC. You have to actually physically steal it, which is a bit harder to do than just illegally downloading it.
Thats completely not true

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.290194-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Leaks-to-Torrent-Sites

Piracy is just as rampant on consoles as it is on the PC

Anyway as posted before, i think its pretty annoying that they're making skyrim even more console oriented, Oblivion and Fallout worked fine enough, and sold well.. why do they need to go furthur? i think they already had the balance right... oh well we'll have to see when the game comes out.
Actually it much harder to pirate on Consoles because it requires installing software that will get you banned on the online services and most people do not want to risk that. So the actual number of people who pirate on consoles is tiny compared to the number on PCs.

Sigma Van Lockheart

Jun 7, 2011
I just want to say the main reason Skyrim is console based is because they want to let modding for the Xbox be easier so best way to do that is build it around the Xbox . Oh and game graphics are good in fact I believe it?s the Xbox vs. ps3 that brought on the whole graphics war and when pc used had enough they got involved the points you make are acceptable but they are just opinion based this is why I will ignore it. It is also easier to change controls from PC based to console based so when we get bad ports we have a right to complain.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Companies were doing just fine on the PC, but why stay when there is better money else where.

The "dumbing down" does not refer to controls but game complexity, games used to be sold on what new features they bring and now the sales pitch is "we took most of it out", yet again a neat money saver for developers, and the non demanding new console generation will buy it mostly for the pretty pictures.

P.S. "I'm not a troll" is what all the trolls say, so yo might want to work on your intro

master m99

Jan 19, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Ugh, the way PC eletists act when they find out somethings bieng dsigned for consoles it disgusting, I almost wish PC gaming would die when the act like that, and I am a pc gamer :/
to be fair minecraft for the 360 looks really dumb,minecraft is unfinnished in its current state and the 360 version of minecraft will not actually be finished by mojang so its possable that the pc version and the 360 version will be wildly different games, also i dont get the kenect compatabilty i mean imagin mining for dimonds with the connect, your arm would drop off ! =P ,also im primarily a console gamer so this shouldnt be taken as pc gamer QQ, just general QQ =D

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Tjebbe said:
Or just get a console, come to the dark side, we have cookies :)
Hmpf next you'll have me eat from the floor, no a proper gentleman plays on a PC ;)

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
master m99 said:
imnotparanoid said:
to be fair minecraft for the 360 looks really dumb,minecraft is unfinnished in its current state and the 360 version of minecraft will not actually be finished by mojang so its possable that the pc version and the 360 version will be wildly different games, also i dont get the kenect compatabilty i mean imagin mining for dimonds with the connect, your arm would drop off ! =P ,also im primarily a console gamer so this shouldnt be taken as pc gamer QQ, just general QQ =D
No, Notch is finishing mc, then another team is porting it :p

Mark Hardigan

Apr 5, 2010
Oh look. Another PC vs Console thread. How unique and not full of potential to turn into a flame fest.

In all seriousness, I consider myself a PC gamer, but I also don't get all uppity when games come out for the PC that were clearly designed for the consoles first. The thing is, each thing in that game costs money, and it is far smarter financially to design a UI and a set of mechanics that work well on all platforms rather than just one. Demanding that these developers create a UI specifically for your platform because you feel that you're "entitled" to it is sheer arrogance, nothing more.

Yes, in a perfect world every game would be perfectly optimized for PS3, 360, PC etc all separately. Each format would have the perfect UI and the perfect set of mechanics. But we don't leave in a perfect world where game developers have money pouring out of their ears and growing on trees. Plus, the good developers know how to create a UI that will work well on all platforms. Some even tweak things for each platform so that each has the best experience they can.

But screaming that a developer is "dumbing down for consoles" because they don't create a new UI for the PC or they don't include mechanics that can only be enjoyed on PC is just silly.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
Lionsfan said:
One reason we're (supposedly) seeing more developers turning to console's is because it's a little bit harder to pirate a Console CD than a PC. You have to actually physically steal it, which is a bit harder to do than just illegally downloading it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.290194-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Leaks-to-Torrent-Sites

Anyway as posted before, i think its pretty annoying that they're making skyrim even more console oriented, Oblivion and Fallout worked fine enough, and sold well.. why do they need to go furthur? i think they already had the balance right... oh well we'll have to see when the game comes out.
when's the last time that happened though? and how many games does it happen to? i know people want to use this as the paragon of examples as to why console games are JUST as insecure, but that's a REALLY weak argument when your examples are simply this and maybe some other games that got pirated bad enough to make headlines. Whilst pretty much ALL PC games without draconian DRM get VERY high piracy rates. [http://www.destructoid.com/the-jimquisition-pirates-admit-you-re-f-cking-thieves-193721.phtml]

please don't try to blow that out of proportion to suit your purposes in an argument, that makes you no better than FOX news.

master m99

Jan 19, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
master m99 said:
imnotparanoid said:
No, Notch is finishing mc, then another team is porting it :p
oh sorry i missunderstood it i was confused by this "According to a report by Joystiq, the Xbox 360 version of Minecraft will not be developed by Mojang, but will retain the services of team boss Markus "Notch" Persson", well in that case it doesnt seem quite so dumb but still in not sure it will gell with the x box very well =S

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Lionsfan said:

when's the last time that happened though? and how many games does it happen to? i know people want to use this as the paragon of examples as to why console games are JUST as insecure, but that's a REALLY weak argument when your examples are simply this and maybe some other games that got pirated bad enough to make headlines. Whilst pretty much ALL PC games without draconian DRM get VERY high piracy rates.

please don't try to blow that out of proportion to suit your purposes in an argument, that makes you no better than FOX news.
When is the last time that happened? did you read the article?.. it was from yesterday.. so yesterday was the last time that happened, the article also mentions crysis 2 and killzone 3 as other recent examples.. and those are just games that have been leaked BEFORE their release dates...I can guarentee you that if someone wanted, they could torrent just about any console game. Also the person i quoted said that to pirate a game on a console, you had to physically steal a copy from a shop, i was merely pointing out this was not true... so comparing me to fox news is completely unfair.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Lionsfan said:

when's the last time that happened though? and how many games does it happen to? i know people want to use this as the paragon of examples as to why console games are JUST as insecure, but that's a REALLY weak argument when your examples are simply this and maybe some other games that got pirated bad enough to make headlines. Whilst pretty much ALL PC games without draconian DRM get VERY high piracy rates.

When is the last time that happened? did you read the article?.. it was from yesterday.. so yesterday was the last time that happened, the article also mentions crysis 2 and killzone 3 as other recent examples.. and those are just games that have been leaked BEFORE their release dates...I can guarentee you that if someone wanted, they could torrent just about any console game. Also the person i quoted said that to pirate a game on a console, you had to physically steal a copy from a shop, i was merely pointing out this was not true... so comparing me to fox news is completely unfair.
but still, you're comparing a leak of three games (and a small trickle of others) to the rampant Piracy-fest of anything without DRM(and even WITH DRM if the statistics of Starcraft and Cash-In of Duty are to be believed).

Follow the link i provided (it was added after an edit, i'm sure you haven't seen it yet) because it provides helpful insight as to why piracy is much more a problem on the PC than on xbox. I mean seriously, if you tried to go out and pirate a copy of Prototype, Saints Row: The Third, or Elder Scrolls 5 for Xbox 360, i doubt you'll have as much luck as for the PC.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Azaraxzealot said:
Follow the link i provided (it was added after an edit, i'm sure you haven't seen it yet) because it provides helpful insight as to why piracy is much more a problem on the PC than on xbox. I mean seriously, if you tried to go out and pirate a copy of Prototype, Saints Row: The Third, or Elder Scrolls 5 for Xbox 360, i doubt you'll have as much luck as for the PC.
Ya I can find torrents of Prototype and Saint's row, infamous, halo, and scores of other console games very easily. You act like Console Piracy doesn't happen but it's very common, more common in Asia, and Europe than the USA but it's still extremely common. There are areas in Asia where you can't buy a nonpirated game, and hacked consoles are sold standard. If you think Console piracy is more difficult than PC piracy you're vastly uninformed as to the pirating scene. Buy a hacked console and bam you can now play just about anything, you can buy pirated games or download them from a torrent site and burn them to a dvd/blue ray and you're done.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
dantoddd said:
imnotparanoid said:

I cannot agree with you anymore. I am also a PC gamer
While some people DO take it a bit far, I'd say there are valid concerns as a PC gamer when a dev says that a game will be made accessible or streamlined.

In the case of Skyrim I don't care much that the game is being developed with consoles as the main platform. I do however care about the UI stuff they keep talking about. Eversince Oblivion Bethesda has made terrible UIs on the PC games. When I have a mouse it's simply a pain to have things presented in a long list that I need to scroll in. See the ultro-terro-UI Mk. VII Bioware implemented in DA2 for another example.

The problems (and rage) for me begins when it's obvious that the dev has made an UI that is suited for console resolutions and a controller. I really don't want the font in the UI to be extra large. It limits the amount of information that can be conveyed at once. In fact that is a symptom of "dumbing down" to use a silly term. I don't seem to get very much information from my games any more.

And then there's the ever present hand holding. I'm playing through LA Noire at the moment, and damn, but does that game insist on letting me know how to turn over an object. Personally I like a challenge.

I recently was getting my ass handed to me in The Witcher 2. So I took the time and read the manual. Crazy, I know! But suddenly I knew what I was messing up. Afterwards I was both shocked and very happy that I had to read a manual.
I also love the start of STALKER and Far Cry 2. The game dumps you with a gun and a map and a rough objective (Kill Strelok/The Jackal) and leaves you to your own devices. What awesome shit I experienced because of that. I kinda wish I could forget STALKER so I could get that first time feeling again.

Console games don't have a lot of that type of gameplay. At least not the ones I've played. Well, Far Cry 2 and that's not really a popular game on consoles.

Then take Crysis 2. My main problem with that game is the damn FOV. It's lazy as all hell to make such a tiny FOV and it makes the bloody gun take up a lot of real estate. That's a console thing as far as I'm concerned. The first Crysis had a lot better FOV. Mind, it may be changeable. Same problem, with huge guns in my face is in L4D2.

There is also COD6:MW2. It had such ground breaking bad PC support that it's a joke.

In short, the problem with console games is not graphics or what not. It's that the devs don't make the PC versions good games. They forget stuff like interface, resolutions, FOV, mouse sensitivity, remapping, mouse acceleration and cap the framerates at a terrible 30 FPS. 30 FPS might be good enough on console but it sure as shit is not good enough on PC. Just as match making simply isn't very good. Dedicated servers is the only real option.

So, I think there are valid reasons to be somewhat apprehensive of the effects of console games.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Wheres these statistics not made by game companies that state PC customers are a smaller amount than console customers? where is the statistics that are not biased that prove that piracy is causing PC sales to drop. because ever statistic I se are all being done by game companies or done for them and are biased.

take torrents for example. they base the number of pirated copies based on the torrent download itself, not the actual software being completly downloaded. it does not factor in non working copies. A common torrent practice is to download 4-5 torrents and start downloading 1 at a time until you get a working version. thats 4-5 for every one they counted average. now did they do studies where they asked how many of them downloaded the game and wont buy it regardless if it was 10 cents, as in they got it just because it was there? How about the percentage of torrents downloaded fior the sole purpose of being used as a demo to see if it runs good on the system or if they would like it? NO they didnt factor that in. Also did they factopr in the amount of actual paying customers who downloaded a pirate copy so they dont have useless DRM? (Hello DRM free FC2, goodbye ubi digital download version)

When the industry creates the statistics it is a guarantee they will be bullshit and skewed to show exactly what they want you to see. This is fact and anyone who deals with stats knows it.

Graphics? lol dont be stupid! PC gamers ofcourse enjoy great graphics but we do not demand them, hell the majority are happy to have good graphics. but cost to make the great graphics drives the cost of production up? thats bullshit. developers use professional grade software to create the 3d models, I know what they use and use it myself. fact, high poly models are easy to make, low poly game models that look good are a helluva lot harder to do thus more expensive. when a studio is highering a modeler they want to see low poly examples more than they do high poly. Fact: textures are cheaper to make in high resolution by just taking a picture of something and using that with minimum work on it than it is to completly redo it digitaly. Take COD4's Pripyat level for example. all the textures used for that level were actual photos that had hours of photoshop work on them to bring them down to less quality so they will run on 5 year old hardware. and thats PC players fault? No and it is the reason console games cost more than the PC version though.

When a pc player complains about the game being dumbed down they are talking about standard features being removed for the sake of consoles. standard features as in features that were considered standard on PC games, as in every one of them had that feature. we are not talking about new features but old ones that made the games better.

You may or may not be a troll but you ceartainly are misinformed.