It's the gamepocalypse, you can only save one game!

Zio_IV

Not a Premium Member
Sep 17, 2011
178
0
0
Urgh, that's arguably the toughest question I've been asked. So many good choices...

...But I'm going to save Steel Battalion for Xbox. It's not my all-time favorite game but I do love playing it and someone's gotta save it!
 

MeChaNiZ3D

New member
Aug 30, 2011
3,104
0
0
Armored Core V.

I'd pick ACfA if it wasn't for the lack of interesting multiplayer. But ACV would benefit IMMENSELY from an actual playerbase, even if it isn't entirely voluntary. Yes it has a finite story, crappy exposition hopeless voice acting redundant parts poor balance no support etc., but I would not even consider a game without customisation, and much customisation is the best kind.
 

Palademon

New member
Mar 20, 2010
4,167
0
0
Timesplitters: Future Perfect

Because it is my favourite game ever. I love the control, and it's so easy to just have some crazy fun.
What other game lets you kill a monkey with a brick in a chinese restaraunt whilst playing as a snowman that walks by sitting on a magic carpet?
 

AnotherAvatar

New member
Sep 18, 2011
491
0
0
I'm thinking a CRPG, as those have nearly infinite re-playability...

Perhaps Fallout 2?
If it can be something from the future then Project Eternity...

I'd mention Planescape Torment, but that seems to be covered.

I could probably also be persuaded into Red Dead Redemption if only to preserve that beautiful physics engine.

I would also consider Skyrim, because through mods that game could be almost any game.
 

AnotherAvatar

New member
Sep 18, 2011
491
0
0
Skin said:
Halo:CE

Good campaign, great co-op, best MP all time.
... No.

Just no.

I would rather have no games than just Halo.

Play Battlefield 3 for a day on PC and tell me Halo has the best multiplayer again.
 

Thomiroth

New member
Mar 17, 2011
51
0
0
I'd either pick Red Dead Redemption (because I think it might then spur others to create wonderfully epic video game dramas) or, simply for replayability, a roguelike, like Dungeons of Dredmore or The Oregon Trail.
 

Manji187

New member
Jan 29, 2009
1,444
0
0
You could also rephrase the thread title to: if you had to play a single game for all eternity, which one would it be?

Yeah, when restated like that, I'd pick Minecraft.
 

Skin

New member
Dec 28, 2011
491
0
0
AnotherAvatar said:
Skin said:
Halo:CE

Good campaign, great co-op, best MP all time.
... No.

Just no.

I would rather have no games than just Halo.

Play Battlefield 3 for a day on PC and tell me Halo has the best multiplayer again.
u wot m8?

Different playstyles. One is a twitch shooter, the other is Halo. And CE was arguably the most balanced shooter of all time.
 

Mullac

New member
Oct 6, 2012
199
0
0
hoboman29 said:
My one pick is for Timesplitters 2 its more than this generation's shiniest shooter. It's what I feel the spirit of videogames is fun, frantic, kick ass music, time travel, and a guy who's totally not Vin Diesel (for serious) And in this spirit of gaming I want my children to know what it was about, not shooting stuff but having the most fun in one sitting.
This guy, summed it up pretty well. I would of course like to bring a friend along to play co-op, oh how I had fun playing this for the first time...the memories...the memories...
 

aguspal

New member
Aug 19, 2012
743
0
0
AS much I FUCKING HATE to admit it...


The best game for the work would be Minecraft.

1) Accesible and playable by anyone at any age.
2)Nearly endless world generator.
3)Multiplayer.
4)Theres just SO MUCH to do with it. Even created games within the game itself!
5)Moddable. Althougt I usually dont give a shit about mods, if this was the only game left I would probably mod it eventually.



Too bad Minecraft is so half-assed... could have been a better game, really. MUCH better game. But as far as replayability goes, yeah... Its the best one that existed IMO. And its not BAD, its DECENT. But it just dosnt goes beyond decent.

Thats why I didnt liked to admit this. But I think it would be the ultimate choice.
 

Serinanth

New member
Apr 29, 2009
135
0
0
aguspal said:
AS much I FUCKING HATE to admit it...


The best game for the work would be Minecraft.

1) Accesible and playable by anyone at any age.
2)Nearly endless world generator.
3)Multiplayer.
4)Theres just SO MUCH to do with it. Even created games within the game itself!
5)Moddable. Althougt I usually dont give a shit about mods, if this was the only game left I would probably mod it eventually.



Too bad Minecraft is so half-assed... could have been a better game, really. MUCH better game. But as far as replayability goes, yeah... Its the best one that existed IMO. And its not BAD, its DECENT. But it just dosnt goes beyond decent.

Thats why I didnt liked to admit this. But I think it would be the ultimate choice.
The mods make it that much better game, throw on some HD texture packs, Jazz up the lighting, and make yourself a jet pack. The technic and tekkit builds are pretty damned fun and there are some beautifully done texture packs in all kinds of styles.

Nutbunnies, I just outed myself as a fanboy.
 

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
1,151
0
0
Was going to insta-say Chrono Trigger, because if we were left to rebuild games from one example I want it to be a deeply flawed masterpiece. I would want our children to look upon it and see the way it spawned a new generation of expansive, beautiful games with genuinely relatable characters (even if they do happen to be post-apocalyptic steampunk robots.)

And then I read the thread and someone mentioned Bastion. And Pokémon. And Secret of Mana. And Fallout 3. And TLOZ: OOT.

Now I am torn beyond choice. How about we send a rocket full of games into orbit, programmed to come back to Earth when sufficient time has passed?

Or just kill Jack Thompson, that might work too.
 

AnotherAvatar

New member
Sep 18, 2011
491
0
0
Skin said:
AnotherAvatar said:
Skin said:
Halo:CE

Good campaign, great co-op, best MP all time.
... No.

Just no.

I would rather have no games than just Halo.

Play Battlefield 3 for a day on PC and tell me Halo has the best multiplayer again.
u wot m8?

Different playstyles. One is a twitch shooter, the other is Halo. And CE was arguably the most balanced shooter of all time.

lulwut?


A 'twitch shooter'?

You sure you're not confused there champ. I'm pretty sure Battlefield has a lot more strategy going on than Halo. Mind you I haven't bothered to play CE because I no longer own a shitbox, but I did play the original release to death at parties with friends and from all my experiences having a single load out, one class, and no unlockable weapons, with the only single innovation (which is now about a decade old) being regenerating health and shields (which pretty much ruined the first person shooter genre, so yeah, cheers for that)... Well I'm pretty sure that that makes Halo the one that is light on strategy (as after 2 the strategy pretty much became 'get the sword!!!111', and before that it was just "stick him with the grenade!!!111").

I'd probably say Halo invented the 'twitch shooter', but I have to admit that I care so little about the genre I could be wrong. I do know that I blame it for the shitty state shooters are in today though, as it's retarded series was the precursor to this Call of Duty bullshit.


You know what though, quick way to settle this: Does Halo have mortars? No? How about anti-tank mines? No? So you mean the only tactics are "shoot guy, or rocket launch vehicle"? PFFBT, fuck that.

Mind you, if Halo was the only first person shooter you've played because you were a wee tot when it came out and it blew your mind then perhaps I could understand your confusion, but I really figured after a decade plus of the same shit you would have gotten it by now.
 

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
20,796
34
23
Country
United States
I'll say the HD collection of Jak and Daxter, because then you technically get 3 games and they're all very good.
 

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
2,396
0
41
Alcamonic said:
I would say Minecraft. Simply because it's so much more than a game, it's very educational and improves your creative side.
I agree, there's so much you can do with that one game. (tekkit mod ^^)
 

AnotherAvatar

New member
Sep 18, 2011
491
0
0
TheEvilCheese said:
Was going to insta-say Chrono Trigger, because if we were left to rebuild games from one example I want it to be a deeply flawed masterpiece. I would want our children to look upon it and see the way it spawned a new generation of expansive, beautiful games with genuinely relatable characters (even if they do happen to be post-apocalyptic steampunk robots.)

And then I read the thread and someone mentioned Bastion. And Pokémon. And Secret of Mana. And Fallout 3. And TLOZ: OOT.

Now I am torn beyond choice. How about we send a rocket full of games into orbit, programmed to come back to Earth when sufficient time has passed?

Or just kill Jack Thompson, that might work too.
I like your final solution. Specifically because I feel like if this scenario were to play out that you'd see a global uprising of gamers against it. I mean if you think about it we are probably the majority now. Video games started to get big in the 80's with kids, kids who still play today, so you're basically looking at everyone 35 and under being a gamer... And I'm pretty sure if we put ourselves to it we could fuck the old-ass baby boomers up if they opposed us.

So yeah, picture a Call of Duty game's plot-line, only Russia/China is Jack Thompson, and the elite squad of battle hardened veterans are old-school D&D nerds. And instead of hordes of angry insurgents they'd be fighting baby-boomers in walkers equipped with WWII gear.
 

Setch Dreskar

New member
Mar 28, 2011
173
0
0
I would say Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2, depending which I can grab first before the apocalypse hits, after all both games are expansive in their own right, and they are endless moddable so I could create my own entertainment using the game engine and its provided tools anyways.