It's the gamepocalypse, you can only save one game!

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
The evil Jack Thompson has just created a device that will destroy all the video games in the world. Every console disk will disintegrate, every cartridge will melt, all the installed PC games will be erased, every smartphone game app will catch fire, every arcade machine will implode, even farmville will be replaced by videos of Rick Astley. The gamepocalypse is coming. Soon every game that has ever been released will be gone, forever.

Except for one.
In secret, a team of scientists have constructed an underground bunker big enough to fit exactly one video game inside, and they want you to decide which one. You have to choose the one game that will be preserved for future generations to play. The only game from our time that our grandchildren will ever experience.

This is the moment of truth, which game will you select and why.

I would save The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker. Not only is it one of my favorite games but it's a game with almost universal appeal to different age groups and types of gamers. On the surface it has a simple enough story, it stays true to conventions, but there's an enormous depth and creative richness to it if you're willing to explore everything it's world has to offer. It has a blend of puzzle solving, action, platforming, and adventure elements that make it feel wide in scope but without becoming too divergent or losing sight of it's central focus. It's cell shaded graphics and simple aesthetic means it'll age incredibly well as it already has so far.

Edit: Also, before anyone gets any ideas, game anthologies and collectors sets do NOT count as one game. You can only save individual games. I don't want everyone to just choose The Orange Box or Namco Museum.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
havoc33 said:
Zelda: A Link to the Past

Ooh. I never actually owned that until it came out on gameboy. Great game though, spent many a night at friends' homes thinking up ways to make it multiplayer.

I'm going to have to be cliche and say Fallout 3. Assuming the mods are still accessible, there's quite a lot of content to keep me going there.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
It's either gonna be Banjo-Tooie, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Bros. 3D Land, or the next real Mario game that comes out for the WiiU.

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I want to say Borderlands 2, but I don't want future generations to think all games were cel-shaded shooters.

I have to agree with OP And say Wind Waker.

perkl

Mar 15, 2011
Aw man. This is tough. Ultima IV, Close Combat 2 or Speed Rumbler? I'm going to go for a better future and choose Steel Panthers 2 anyway.

As a side note, if gamepocalypse leads to consoles never being invented again, thus preventing destruction of every genre I loved, then the sacrifice is worth it. We die, so others may live.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
I would say Minecraft. Simply because it's so much more than a game, it's very educational and improves your creative side.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
DJ_DEnM said:
I want to say Borderlands 2, but I don't want future generations to think all games were cel-shaded shooters.

I have to agree with OP And say Wind Waker.
As opposed to thinking that all games were cell-shaded adventure games? ;p

I'm still in agreement, though, because Wind Waker was pretty incredible both in terms of game design and story.

Another candidate for me would be the original Yoshi's Island, or Super Mario World/Bros/Bros 3. Any of those would be very useful for future societies on top of being very damn fun.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the full version of DOOM seems like a good candidate too.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
i will say THE WALKING DEAD.
it has everything.
emotions, action, drama, story, mystery, excitement, surprise, happiness, sadness, truth, love, hate, etc EVERYTHING ..
so yeah..

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Hmmm tricky question...

Something fun and challenging...nope, can't seperate 1 game from the rest based on that.

Something ridiculously easy and simple so nobody could claim to be better than anyone else with any credibility...nope, most games are already like that.

Something so devestatingly shit that nobody would want to play it...too many of those already aswell.

Fuck it and fuck everyone else, i'll add something that barely anyone has heard of and i liked as a child. Gogo the ghost for the commodore 64. Nobody could claim favouritism on such a game so nobody would have any reason to complain and moan about it...other than it's fairly poor. Fuck the pc, fuck the consoles, fuck the bright shining graphics and fuck convoluted storylines...

:)

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I'd have to save Arcanum. I don't think I could stand to live in a world where Arcanum didn't exist.

squidface

Jun 3, 2012
Jet Set Radio Future, hands down. I could play that game till the end of the universe, nevermind the end of all gaming.

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
Pokemon. You can put so many hours training, breeding, trading, battling....and you don't even notice. The competitive scene helps a lot to keep the lifespan long, too.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
Fuck I'm torn. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time or Red Dead Redemption. I CAN'T DECIDE!!!GRRRAAAHAHHAFBDWUGRU4DGRNUQWFARTRFD

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Why would you make me choose you evil, evil OP D:

It's up in the air between Morrowind and Super Mario RPG.

John Vesterfelt

Apr 4, 2011
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Despite the plot holes, unresolved storyline, overt strangeness, over-hyped and easily defeated final boss; CT is still the first game from my childhood that allowed me to become emotionally invested in the characters. Only true mistake IMO was making it too easy to bring a character back to life. Dead should be dead. Or at the very least have severe repercussions in returning one to life.

On a side note. Where THE FUhhh... Heck is the 3rd game in this series?
For a company that is on it's twenty or thirty something Final Fantasy title, spin off, whatever. It seems to me they are sitting on a great many other IPs which could use a dusting off and given a little love... Just not in MMORPG form. Please. For the love of GOD no... or rather, for the love of JIM in this case.