Its times like this I am glad I was not an 80s kid.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Silentpony said:
AccursedTheory said:
Jokes on you. You got about 15-20 years, then it's your turn.
Jokes on you! With Donald Trump(an 80s relic I might point out) as president, the world won't last another 20 years!
The world looked at the endless sequels and reboots, and asked when enough was enough. Only one man had the courage to do something about it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Baffle said:
Thundercats was really just an example. I also liked Lost Cities of Gold and He-man. But not Moomins, because Little My has a scarily pointy nose. Oh, and Centurions! 80s 'tache hooooo!
Are you thinking of The Mysterious Cities of Gold? The French-Japanese anime that had the flying gold condor plane? If so that was awesome! Growing up watching that, a really weird cartoon called Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea, Danger Mouse and a bunch of other imported goodness from Canada, the UK, and Europe thanks to Nickelodeon. Much better quality stuff than most of what kids get today...

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Slice said:
As an actual 80's kid, I did this cool thing called "Growing Up". The movies that entranced me as a child don't entrance me now. I might enjoy them, but it's very, very, very different. You can't retroactively harm my nostalgic, pleasant memories. I get the sense that a lot of people who call themselves Gamers don't understand any of that.
Clearly, you are on of the mature people in this thread which we can tell from the snark and desire to assert yourself as an adult. Don't get me wrong, you have a good point, but your post would have been a lot better without that first sentence which makes it all sound so bitter. Though I'm probably a hypocrite for even responding.

On topic, I agree with casual shinji, if there aren't any remakes, sequels or rip-offs to fall short of the original, the original probably wasn't that good. At least the 80's kids have something worth caring about. That, and in a couple of years, there will be shitty remakes of whatever it is the OP likes. That's how this thing works, sadly.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Baffle said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Are you thinking of The Mysterious Cities of Gold? The French-Japanese anime that had the flying gold condor plane? If so that was awesome!
That's the one! Classic TV - I think it had a good theme tune too.
Absolutely! Loved that theme, though I remember very little of it except the vocalization bridge. I've been trying to find the DVDs on a reasonable pricing that I can afford.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Point of order: I like both versions of Total Recall. There are probably additional examples, though not all apply.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Baffle said:
Are you thinking of The Mysterious Cities of Gold? The French-Japanese anime that had the flying gold condor plane? If so that was awesome!
That's the one! Classic TV - I think it had a good theme tune too.
Absolutely! Loved that theme, though I remember very little of it except the vocalization bridge. I've been trying to find the DVDs on a reasonable pricing that I can afford.
I liked how each ep (except in the US version) had a mini-documentary about something from the ep.

And then the same people made "Twins of Destiny", which went for 52 eps...1 a week for a whole year. That was looooong.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
as others have pointed out it doesnt change whether the originals are good, and frankly apart from a catchy theme song that was everywhere for months it was a decent comedy but nothing amazing, good special effects for the time to

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
Because I don't get to suffer all these mediocre 80s movie remakes like Ghostbusters.

This is the Ghostbuster I grew up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WFoUchg6sw
>:|

These are the real Ghostbusters!

VIVA LA 80'S KIDS!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Baffle said:
Thundercats was really just an example. I also liked Lost Cities of Gold and He-man. But not Moomins, because Little My has a scarily pointy nose. Oh, and Centurions! 80s 'tache hooooo!

Edit: BTW, they're making a Superted film. Really weird choice yes?
When was The Mysterious Cities of Gold broadcast, I missed that one.

You think Superted is odd, I want a bananaman film.

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
pookie101 said:
as others have pointed out it doesnt change whether the originals are good, and frankly apart from a catchy theme song that was everywhere for months it was a decent comedy but nothing amazing, good special effects for the time to
It was also not part of a field of dozens of other sfx driven movies. People forget now, that movies like Ghostbusters, Back To The Future, Star Wars, and others like that were islands of Sci Fi in a vast ocean. Those movies weren't released very often until after Terminator 2 sort of blew the lid off CGI as a main feature and audience draw. It used to be that in addition to people who loved the comedy, and the SNL alumnus involvement, a lot of younger people (like me) loved the sfx so much. It was the coolest thing we'd ever seen, along with a lightsaber, an a time traveling DeLorian. We didn't have much else though.

People just forget, when they look back, all of the circumstances that made the experience what it was, including the age they were and what their life was like. Most people don't dwell on that, but online, and in the world of movies and games people wallow in nostalgia like pigs in mud.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Einspanner said:
pookie101 said:
It was also not part of a field of dozens of other sfx driven movies. People forget now, that movies like Ghostbusters, Back To The Future, Star Wars, and others like that were islands of Sci Fi in a vast ocean. Those movies weren't released very often until after Terminator 2 sort of blew the lid off CGI as a main feature and audience draw. It used to be that in addition to people who loved the comedy, and the SNL alumnus involvement, a lot of younger people (like me) loved the sfx so much. It was the coolest thing we'd ever seen, along with a lightsaber, an a time traveling DeLorian. We didn't have much else though.

People just forget, when they look back, all of the circumstances that made the experience what it was, including the age they were and what their life was like. Most people don't dwell on that, but online, and in the world of movies and games people wallow in nostalgia like pigs in mud.
very well put. i used to remember going to the video shop and picking up 5 or 6 movies every few days and they were almost always crap or very dodgy to say the least

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
AccursedTheory said:
Silentpony said:
AccursedTheory said:
Jokes on you. You got about 15-20 years, then it's your turn.
Jokes on you! With Donald Trump(as 80s relic I might point out) as president, the world won't last another 20 years!
Well played, sir, well played.

I wish my generation had considered flipping the board game of Life and tossing all the pieces on the floor to avoid the re-sequeling of our childhood. It's God damn brilliant.
You know that some saw this and now is making a movie out of it. I'm mean, they made a Battleships movie?!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Baffle said:
Albino Boo said:
When was The Mysterious Cities of Gold broadcast, I missed that one.

You think Superted is odd, I want a bananaman film.
It must've been late 80s or early 90s as I can remember it but not well (I drank a lot in the late 80s).

Also: http://www.bananamanmovie.com/
If it was late 80s/ early 90s I would have been in the pub by 4pm. With a Bananaman movie and a dogtanian movie coming I may need to get drunk in sit in the back of cinema.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
I just watch the original shows. After I saw the 1st transformers movie, I vowed NEVER to watch another remake. It's like hollywood is going out of its way to give us 80s kids the middle finger. Also, I wish traditional animation would come back. I'm sick of this CGI bullshit! CGI isn't all bad, but since I primarily watch japanese anime, I don't have to deal with this problem for the most part.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, they'll never start mining nostalgic properties from the 90s...

Though that url makes me sad.

Or this

Yeah, the 00s are going to get their turn, too.

tippy2k2 said:
Maybe I'm in the Minority here but I never saw any reason to care.

If the reboot/remake of something you loved in the past sucks, you don't have to watch it and it does not ruin the old stuff.
I doubt you're in a minority in general, but here? Probably.

There's a nerd tendency towards nationalism, and identifying one's self with the hobbies or franchises one loves. When you internalise a consumer product to that degree, then changes to it are an attack on you.

I tend to ignore the bad and enjoy the good, though. Not always, mind, and as a nerd I like to argue about things anyway, but generally. New TMNT cartoon? Probably the best I've ever watched. Spectacular Spider-Man was awesome, and I can ignore Ultimate. BVS ends up sucking? I've still got both the Burton movies and the Nolan ones. Ghostusters sucks? Well, good thing I have the first two movies, the cartoons, the NOW comics, the IDW comics....

Baffle said:
It must've been late 80s or early 90s as I can remember it but not well (I drank a lot in the late 80s).
Cities of Gold was around 84.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
What is with the Donald Trump hate?
He presents himself as a warmonger, a violater of the Geneva Convention, a racist, and a xenophobe. None of that is actually true (and I'm baffled how no one else seems to be able to see the lies writ in flaming letters on his face); he is just saying whatever he thinks his followers want to hear, because they're angry and frustrated and want someone to validate that fear and anger. The only two things of his platforms he actually believes are that the First Amendment should not be allowed to stop him from suing journalists who say things he doesn't like and that his penis is genuinely enormous, both of which statements are verifiably incorrect. Nevertheless, people who believe his bullshit think he will actually do the things he pretends he will do and make of us a nation regarded with as much international goodwill as North Korea, and a lot of the people who don't believe his bullshit are just outraged that such a circus clown could get to run for president and people would praise his courage for wearing his floppy shoes and big white gloves rather than tell him to get the fuck offstage.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Im Lang said:
Isn't it hilarious?!
Not really. It's more sad. I don't actually expect Trump to win the election, but if he does, I think it will be the governmental equivalent of an alcoholic hitting rock bottom; the moment when the country realizes it absolutely has to get its shit together or just commit to poisoning itself to death.