Its times like this I am glad I was not an 80s kid.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Because I don't get to suffer all these mediocre 80s movie remakes like Ghostbusters.

This is the Ghostbuster I grew up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WFoUchg6sw
Well, you technically *do* get to suffer them. You've heard of this one, haven't you? Or else you wouldn't be mentioning it.

Logic-related wisecracks aside, every generation goes through this. We grow up, some cultural products strike us as being the Best Things Ever, we grow up some more and these very same things become nostalgic, some of us take Marketing degrees and turn into cynical cash-pumps and in turn look back to these old Best Things Ever with big ol' dollar signs in our eyes. A little over twenty years ago, Filmation properties were the ones being put through the audiovisual wringer, Dolph Lundgren's Masters of the Universe being a good example of what happens when you let execs have their way with a beloved franchise.

Give it a few and someone's going to find a way to make you weep thanks to a pseudo-relevant and mostly cringeworthy take on Danny Phantom. If anyone remembers Danny Phantom at all in a few decades, that is. There's so many all-ages cartoon shows coming out that predicting which ones will stand the test of time is harder than it seems.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Something Amyss said:
Yeah, they'll never start mining nostalgic properties from the 90s...

Though that url makes me sad.

Or this

Yeah, the 00s are going to get their turn, too.

tippy2k2 said:
Maybe I'm in the Minority here but I never saw any reason to care.

If the reboot/remake of something you loved in the past sucks, you don't have to watch it and it does not ruin the old stuff.
I doubt you're in a minority in general, but here? Probably.

There's a nerd tendency towards nationalism, and identifying one's self with the hobbies or franchises one loves. When you internalise a consumer product to that degree, then changes to it are an attack on you.

I tend to ignore the bad and enjoy the good, though. Not always, mind, and as a nerd I like to argue about things anyway, but generally. New TMNT cartoon? Probably the best I've ever watched. Spectacular Spider-Man was awesome, and I can ignore Ultimate. BVS ends up sucking? I've still got both the Burton movies and the Nolan ones. Ghostusters sucks? Well, good thing I have the first two movies, the cartoons, the NOW comics, the IDW comics....

Baffle said:
It must've been late 80s or early 90s as I can remember it but not well (I drank a lot in the late 80s).
Cities of Gold was around 84.
Yes I grew up with Legends of the Hidden Temple and Power Rangers but:

1. That whole Legends of the Hidden movie is gonna be like some litiral Indiana Jones like movie for kids most likely.

2. I grew out of Power Rangers after the Car/Turbo version of Power Rangers because after that I sort of stopped caring and to this day I don't care for Power Rangers anymore because I realized how stupid it is.

Besides you should be mentioning much more relevent 90s things like the Powerpuff Girls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY2Jsku_Mvs

And SJWs have taken it over :p

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
IamLEAM1983 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Because I don't get to suffer all these mediocre 80s movie remakes like Ghostbusters.

This is the Ghostbuster I grew up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WFoUchg6sw
Dolph Lundgren's Masters of the Universe being a good example of what happens when you let execs have their way with a beloved franchise.

Give it a few and someone's going to find a way to make you weep thanks to a pseudo-relevant and mostly cringeworthy take on Danny Phantom. If anyone remembers Danny Phantom at all in a few decades, that is. There's so many all-ages cartoon shows coming out that predicting which ones will stand the test of time is harder than it seems.
1. Never seen that movie at all, and the He-Man I grew up with was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67215zbSNQ4

2. Well I am not too concerned about any Danny Phantom reboot because the original series did end on a Finale. And I always have the Fanfiction community to look forward to, if only they STOP making too much Gay Slash Fics of Danny and VLAD OF ALL PEOPLE!!!!!!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
1. That whole Legends of the Hidden movie is gonna be like some litiral Indiana Jones like movie for kids most likely.
Now you're just making excuses.

2. I grew out of Power Rangers after the Car/Turbo version of Power Rangers because after that I sort of stopped caring and to this day I don't care for Power Rangers anymore because I realized how stupid it is.
And people grew out of Ghostbusters and Danny Phantom. What's your point? That you're not personally invested in something, so the mining of nostalgic properties is suddenly different?

Besides you should be mentioning much more relevent 90s things like the Powerpuff Girls:
Why would I give a crap about Powerpuff girls?

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I dunno. I was born in the early 80's, and my only recollection of Ghostbusters and most other 80's movies/nostalgia is being slightly traumatized by it. Even the kids' movies I actually liked, like Land Before time and All Dogs Go to Heaven. I was too young to even know about most of it until I was older. My appreciation for stuff like that didn't really start until the early 90s and late elementary school.

The only exception I can think of is Super Mario Bros.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
**SNIP**
Besides you should be mentioning much more relevent 90s things like the Powerpuff Girls...
Just a key reminder, the 90s, like the 80s, encompasses an entire decade. So "relevant" is subjective considering how much there is to mine within that decade for reboot/remake material.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY2Jsku_Mvs

And SJWs have taken it over :p
You had to go there, didn't you?

Interest is subjective. You're visibly passionate about Danny Phantom, some people will be passionate about The Real Ghostbusters. There's no such thing as "more relevant" TV shows - they're entertainment.

Jan 19, 2016
I'm an 80's kid (born late 70's) so I've seen a lot of my childhood favourites rehashed (mostly badly), but I can take them or leave them. I watched some of the Transformers movies, mainly for Peter Cullen's Optimus Prime (I'd listen to that man read the phone book), but I skipped the TMNT movie because it looked like it was trying to be too "bad ass" and lacked the humour of the originals. While I'd love to see some of my other favourites (M.A.S.K., Robotech, Centurions, Starblazers, G-Force/Battle of the Planets) treated well, I don't hold high hopes for any of them. It is what it is and no amount of rehashes can erase my memories, so I ain't even mad.

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
pookie101 said:
Einspanner said:
pookie101 said:
as others have pointed out it doesnt change whether the originals are good, and frankly apart from a catchy theme song that was everywhere for months it was a decent comedy but nothing amazing, good special effects for the time to
It was also not part of a field of dozens of other sfx driven movies. People forget now, that movies like Ghostbusters, Back To The Future, Star Wars, and others like that were islands of Sci Fi in a vast ocean. Those movies weren't released very often until after Terminator 2 sort of blew the lid off CGI as a main feature and audience draw. It used to be that in addition to people who loved the comedy, and the SNL alumnus involvement, a lot of younger people (like me) loved the sfx so much. It was the coolest thing we'd ever seen, along with a lightsaber, an a time traveling DeLorian. We didn't have much else though.

People just forget, when they look back, all of the circumstances that made the experience what it was, including the age they were and what their life was like. Most people don't dwell on that, but online, and in the world of movies and games people wallow in nostalgia like pigs in mud.
very well put. i used to remember going to the video shop and picking up 5 or 6 movies every few days and they were almost always crap or very dodgy to say the least
Remember renting Zardoz and Legend of The Overfiend, and just learning so much about the world because of those weird and dodgy selections?

Pepperidge Farms remembers...

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Einspanner said:
pookie101 said:
Einspanner said:
pookie101 said:
as others have pointed out it doesnt change whether the originals are good, and frankly apart from a catchy theme song that was everywhere for months it was a decent comedy but nothing amazing, good special effects for the time to
It was also not part of a field of dozens of other sfx driven movies. People forget now, that movies like Ghostbusters, Back To The Future, Star Wars, and others like that were islands of Sci Fi in a vast ocean. Those movies weren't released very often until after Terminator 2 sort of blew the lid off CGI as a main feature and audience draw. It used to be that in addition to people who loved the comedy, and the SNL alumnus involvement, a lot of younger people (like me) loved the sfx so much. It was the coolest thing we'd ever seen, along with a lightsaber, an a time traveling DeLorian. We didn't have much else though.

People just forget, when they look back, all of the circumstances that made the experience what it was, including the age they were and what their life was like. Most people don't dwell on that, but online, and in the world of movies and games people wallow in nostalgia like pigs in mud.
very well put. i used to remember going to the video shop and picking up 5 or 6 movies every few days and they were almost always crap or very dodgy to say the least
Remember renting Zardoz and Legend of The Overfiend, and just learning so much about the world because of those weird and dodgy selections?

hahah zardoz forgot about the connery mankini.. i was more of a sci-fi/horror fan and i miss the days of horror comedies.

ahh return of the living dead, killer klowns from outer space and the ultimate film.. buckaroo banzai across the 8th dimension

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
thaluikhain said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Baffle said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Are you thinking of The Mysterious Cities of Gold? The French-Japanese anime that had the flying gold condor plane? If so that was awesome!
That's the one! Classic TV - I think it had a good theme tune too.
Absolutely! Loved that theme, though I remember very little of it except the vocalization bridge. I've been trying to find the DVDs on a reasonable pricing that I can afford.
I liked how each ep (except in the US version) had a mini-documentary about something from the ep.

And then the same people made "Twins of Destiny", which went for 52 eps...1 a week for a whole year. That was looooong.
I strongly suggest not rewatching it which is what I done a year or so ago.
I loved the shit outa that show as a kid but it is loooooong and boring and poorly written and animated (I guess everything was)

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
wow, ok i'm a late 70's kid, so my childhood was in the 80'S. but i'm french canadian, so a lot of stuff you guys talk about, i didnt even saw. i realise now that we were massively disconnected from the USA back then. i learned english only in the beggining of the 90's, and it's then that i started to watch american tv.

so apparently in the 80's here beside the smurfs, my little poney and transformers, we were massively in anime... but i dont know the english names of those, so you may know them in another name...

Albator, space pirate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMIrFNHAGyE

Goldorak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wVZp158lDY

like a few of you have said the cities of gold (les myst?rieuse cit?s d'or in french)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRgyvYXLDx4

Candy (ok honestly i really dont rmember what that one is, but i very cleaerly remember the name and music)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVcXDbRJ79w

Lady Oscar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BY4CitbBEs

we had 2 series about the 3 musketeers

one with dogs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUM54EAJJys

and the one where Aramis was a girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghn8i8RyjyU

Rahan, the caveman tv show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEwAsfpDsMk

a huge classic here, le petit castor (the little beaver)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCQoSUC3QcA

boumbo the speaking car
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u91triazckw

the mostly depressive Demethan, the frog that keep being bullied and cry every damn episode...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCVmuhu-FQs

and a last one, il ?tait une fois l'homme (once upon a time there was the man (i guess it's the mostly accurate translation))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg1BgpcaS_U

Apr 24, 2008
Let's see:

- People discussing the topic at hand. Check.

- Obligatory Donald Trump side conversation. Check.

- People showing up just to look down their noses at others. Check.

Business as usual on the 'scapist.

Unless Hollywood decides it's time to invest in new ideas, it'll only be a matter of time until the 90's stuff is ripe for reboot. I look forward to the Ace Ventura reboot starring Jonah Hill. I have a feeling they'll nail it.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
There have been some really good remakes of 80's stuff. I mean, stuff like 21 jump street, The Karate Kid, and hairspray are all well liked remakes.

Many of the remakes that are hated are only hated because they fail to meet nostalgia and were perfectly fine movies on their own even if they weren't classics. The main problem with remakes is the weight of nostalgia they carry.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
You know, people are talkin' about re-making Danny Phantom being a terrible idea and while I agree that a big budget full-length cash-grab movie would be terrible, a well-produced fan-made short of Danny versus Vlad or Skulker sounds awesome with a little bit of dark. Just a little, no blood, no swearing, don't have to go gothic or anything like that, just a little more... serious, that's a nice way to put it.
Just turn the age rating up one, TV-Y7 to TV-G or TV-PG, that's all I'm sayin'.

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
pookie101 said:
Einspanner said:
pookie101 said:
Einspanner said:
pookie101 said:

hahah zardoz forgot about the connery mankini.. i was more of a sci-fi/horror fan and i miss the days of horror comedies.

ahh return of the living dead, killer klowns from outer space and the ultimate film.. buckaroo banzai across the 8th dimension
Why did Horror-Comedy go away? Isn't Army of Darkness still a huge hit that keeps Bruce Campbell a household name? I feel like the atmosphere from games to movies is "Gritty" and way too involved in taking itself seriously to laugh at itself, unless it thinks people will give them points for being cool as a result.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
The only thing I can remember of the 80s was a handful of cartoons, and the Berlin Wall coming down. I didn't get why people were so happy. It's like: "It looks like a well built wall for the most part... why tear it down? Seems like senseless vandalism."

People dancing all over it, pictures of people attacking parts of it with sledgehammers and stealing chunks of it.