I've Broken Both My Wrists, What Can I Do For Fun?

NateA42

Jun 12, 2014
So I've broken both my wrists and am using my right index finger to type this entire thing. I was thinking I'd got back to playing my Grand Stategy games but alas, my computer is broken (writing this from my iPhone, when will these guys make an app?).

I can't really hold a book, or my phone. I can't even dress myself in truth. Also my Chichiuah has taken up chewing on my cast and my cat has gone into heat so I can't really play with them.

I've just been listening to podcasts and attempting to use my free Hulu Plus subscription, man is that service crap.

Other than just watching TV or Youtube I don't really know what else I could be doing. I used to workout a lot and I'm scared about losing the muscle mass but I can really only do squats.

I mean my days used to be full of stuff, I had work after school (don't worry I made sure my spot is being held) but now I can't work and I refuse to go to school so I have some tutoring set up even though I can't hold a pen.

I'm 17 so I might even have to miss my graduation and prom, if my fracture slips I'll need to get a plate in my arm which could disqualify me from military service.

I'm also wondering what I'm gonna do without a paycheck for around two months.

P.S. Sorry about how this is written and structured, I just can't go back and edit this which I would normally call my rough draft.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Erm...how did...holy crap.

You have to keep up your routine and avoid becoming sedentary. I think the best thing you can do for yourself is walking, like on a treadmill. I would consult your doctor and do something really slow and low impact, like 1-2 mph MAX, for around an hour a day. The cardio impact would be minimal, but you have to keep the speed down to avoid falling over.

Man, there's this really cynical quote, ostensibly Yiddish in origin, that goes "We plan, God laughs". I've never run across a situation where this applied as I'm bad at planning. I'm more a reactionary person.

Let's start you off with an episode of Special Ops Mission to keep your spirits up!
Operation Covert Canyon

NateA42

Jun 12, 2014
Thanks both of you.

I broke them running a short sprint in gym by the way, I slipped and ran into a wall.

Baffle said:
You could have a wan... oh.

Could you get a Kindle? It might not be mega comfortable since you can't hold it, but you could put it on your knee/lap or something and wouldn't have to worry about the problem with a book where it keeps closing. Since you can type this you could turn the 'pages' of a Kindle well enough.

As far as working out is concerned, let your body heal. Yeah, you might lose tone and such, but it comes back quickly and easily when you're ready to go again, especially at your age.
I figuared eBooks would be cool so I threw myself at some internet stuff, never thought I would really like SCP but man some people are amazing writers.

Frezzato said:
Erm...how did...holy crap.

You have to keep up your routine and avoid becoming sedentary. I think the best thing you can do for yourself is walking, like on a treadmill. I would consult your doctor and do something really slow and low impact, like 1-2 mph MAX, for around an hour a day. The cardio impact would be minimal, but you have to keep the speed down to avoid falling over.

Man, there's this really cynical quote, ostensibly Yiddish in origin, that goes "We plan, God laughs". I've never run across a situation where this applied as I'm bad at planning. I'm more a reactionary person.

Let's start you off with an episode of Special Ops Mission to keep your spirits up!
Operation Covert Canyon
That show seems awesome!
And yea I've heard that line before. There goes buying the iPad I asked you about lol.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
catch up on some decent TV that you missed or more appropriately get some study happening.
could be a good chance to learn a new language or study music

NateA42

Jun 12, 2014
Should I get a fitBit or Nike Fuel Band to help with staying active abd recovery?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
NateA42 said:
Should I get a fitBit or Nike Fuel Band to help with staying active abd recovery?
If you insist on spending your hard earned money, may I suggest something a bit more practical?

Note that I'm not trying to get you to stop spending money. I'm suggesting you spend your money on something just as expensive, like, say a CamelBak [http://www.walmart.com/tp/camelbak]. Sure, they can be pretty pricey, but you don't have to go crazy and pay $110 for a bag. There are other systems that cost $20 or so.

My reasoning is this: I think a slow pace on a treadmill will do you fine. Depending on how much you weigh [http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=187], you'll probably end up burning 170 calories an hour, which is little more than the calories in a can of Coke (140). But I think a slow walking pace is a great, safe way to get some exercise in. And I think a hands-free hydration system is the perfect accessory for someone who recently lost the use of both hands, not counting their index fingers of course. :)

NateA42

Jun 12, 2014
Frezzato said:
NateA42 said:
If you insist on spending your hard earned money, may I suggest something a bit more practical?

Note that I'm not trying to get you to stop spending money. I'm suggesting you spend your money on something just as expensive, like, say a CamelBak [http://www.walmart.com/tp/camelbak]. Sure, they can be pretty pricey, but you don't have to go crazy and pay $110 for a bag. There are other systems that cost $20 or so.

My reasoning is this: I think a slow pace on a treadmill will do you fine. Depending on how much you weigh [http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=187], you'll probably end up burning 170 calories an hour, which is little more than the calories in a can of Coke (140). But I think a slow walking pace is a great, safe way to get some exercise in. And I think a hands-free hydration system is the perfect accessory for someone who recently lost the use of both hands, not counting their index fingers of course. :)
I've already got one if those so that saves money :)
I was asking about the fitbit as I can get one through a deal with my bank.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Tape a fleshlight to your forearm?

Also to piggyback off of what Frezz said, walking is quite a nice active activity. Doubly so when outside.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Well a movie marathon, small cardio and reading seem to be the easy solutions.

I'm not sure about you skipping school though. You can at least do your courses and socialize a bit. The teacher will need to adapt to you. If not, let the administration know. Maybe you can ask for videotaping the lessons and take your quizzes and tests orally.

Tutoring will help you to a certain point. Think of doing the courses to give you an idea of the curriculum and tutoring after school to enrich your learnings.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Read books, or listen to audio books.

Watch movies.

Every day, call up a random friend or family member and have a conversation.

Become a Dance Dance Revolution expert.

Take long walks while listening to music.

Train until you can do a thousand situps with your armed crossed at your chest.

Learn to sing.

Lonely at night? Now's a good time to get a girl/boyfriend!

Take up wine tasting (bring a straw).

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
When i broke my back, i mostly laid in my bed and watched star trek TNG until i got better
Use your legs, go outside if the weather allows you to

Listen to music

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
A few years ago I broke my right wrist in two places (titanium plate holding it together now) and fractured my left clavicle. That meant I really couldn't do a whole hell of a lot. The first week involved an imperial assload of netflix. After that, smart phone and tablet games for another week then followed by the PS3. I couldn't hold the controller for massive durations of time but could easily handle one to one and a half hours with quick breaks between levels. I was able to play on the PC for short durations which was fine for casual games but fairly pointless for larger scale ones. All I can say is have patience as you might be dealing with this for a long time. If you need it, rehab will take several months and don't be surprised if the pain lasts upwards of a year. Also, you will absolutely hate sudden changes in the weather as it will cause a very deep and massively annoying ache where the breaks were. I hope that your injuries aren't as severe as mine were and that I'm helping you feel better as it could have been worse.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
Have you considered an arcade stick?
Depends on what mobility you can comfortably do I imagine that you should be able to play 2D games, especially slower paced ones.