I've got a hankering for a good PC RPG; can you recommend one?

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Vampire: The Bloodlines - Masquerade.

It's a brilliant and oft-overlooked RPG with a great atmosphere and sense of humour. Definitely worth playing if you haven't already.

Kococoa

Nov 19, 2012
Both Witchers are good as has been suggested. Couple others I would recommend would be:

Dark Messiah Might and Magic.
Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim especially because of the array of mods.
Fallout 3 and New Vegas I haven't played any earlier ones.
Neverwinter Nights 2, haven't played the earlier ones.
Baulder's Gate but you may want to wait for the enhanced editions if you haven't played them.
Fable and Lost Chapters, I don't particulary recommend 2 and 3.
Torchlight 2.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
Fallout 1 - 2 And Planescape Torment. Those are the pinacle of good storytelling in videogames AND made popular the "talk the final boss to death".

And there is also "OFF" by Ghost Mortis, a FRPG (French-RPG) :D

The rest of my list here is more kind of RPG-Hybrids:
Heroes 3 of Might And Magic (Turn Based Strategy RPG)
Sacrifice (RTS + 3rd Person View + Narrative impacted even by little details the player does in gameplay AND that will bite you in the ass later)
Dungeon Keeper (God View - Management Simulator + First Person View - Combat)
Strife (FPS-RPG Hybrid)

And of course:
Deus Ex
System Shock 2

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Here are a couple that people haven't said.

Gothic 2. It could be described as a smaller Oblivion that works really, really well. It is excellent.

Nehrim. A total conversion mod for Oblivion that is better than Oblivion. There's really no reason to not install it if you have Oblivion for PC.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Olikar said:
mrhateful said:
When people say rpg
okay now its just getting sad, just because both of those genre has part of the name doesn't make it a sub genre.
No but the fact most people define Action RPGs as a sub genre of RPGs and that ARPGs meet most of the criteria of being a RPG should be a pretty big clue.
Then most people are wrong just like most people define an almighty god as disputable truth is wrong.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Kococoa said:
Both Witchers are good as has been suggested. Couple others I would recommend would be:

Dark Messiah Might and Magic.
Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim especially because of the array of mods.
Fallout 3 and New Vegas I haven't played any earlier ones.
Neverwinter Nights 2, haven't played the earlier ones.
Baulder's Gate but you may want to wait for the enhanced editions if you haven't played them.
Fable and Lost Chapters, I don't particulary recommend 2 and 3.
Torchlight 2.

While Dark Messiah Might and Magic most definitely itsn't an RPG, I was still about to recommend this game myself.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
ohnoitsabear said:

Gothic 2. It could be described as a smaller Oblivion that works really, really well. It is excellent.

Nehrim. A total conversion mod for Oblivion that is better than Oblivion. There's really no reason to not install it if you have Oblivion for PC.
Does Nehrim make combat better than laughably sad? I heard about it a while back and have been meaning to check it out, but not really wanting to re-download mods to make combat bearable.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
I didn't see either of these mentioned (and they are cheap on steam):

A fun action RPG worth trying is Bastion

For an old-school (late-80s to mid-90s) first person party-based RPG try Legend of Grimrock.

The Witcher 2 is great - so nothing wrong with grabbing that.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
wintercoat said:
ohnoitsabear said:

Does Nehrim make combat better than laughably sad? I heard about it a while back and have been meaning to check it out, but not really wanting to re-download mods to make combat bearable.
It doesn't change combat too much aside from rebalancing (bows are more useful, for example). I did find the combat to be somewhat better than in Oblivion, but not hugely so. That said, I know that there are combat overhaul mods that are compatible with Nehrim, so there is always that option.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
ohnoitsabear said:
wintercoat said:
ohnoitsabear said:

It doesn't change combat too much aside from rebalancing (bows are more useful, for example). I did find the combat to be somewhat better than in Oblivion, but not hugely so. That said, I know that there are combat overhaul mods that are compatible with Nehrim, so there is always that option.
Sweet! Thanks for the good news. Now to go digging for my disk...

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
Gill Kaiser said:
JRPGs aren't RPGs.
And here we have the second time someone ever made me laugh on these boards. Most of y'all need to step your humor game up.

Anyway, someone already mentioned Gothic 2 and I will second that recommendation wholeheartedly.

I've also heard some great things about them Drakensang games and they're on my short list of games I'll be playing in the next year.

Anyway, aside from the juggernaught that is Gothic 2, I'm not really sure what to recommend that hasn't also been on a console.

Deus Ex maybe?

Gothic 3 with the latest community patch?

I also feel the pain of not having a plethora of solid RPGs to turn to at a moments notice. Keep your ear to the ground and pay close attention to people exhibiting unusual passion for a game. When a few psychopaths jump up and down screaming about Gothic 2 amidst hoards of uninspired recommendations for Oblivion and Dragon Age I think you know what the score is. This is actually why I'm planning on getting both of them Drakensang games; it's the passion behind the posts.

BTW, I did really like Dragon Age, but Gothic 2, just, Gothic 2.

Gothic 2

Oh, and Oblivion and its level scaling can suck my nuts.

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
wintercoat said:
ohnoitsabear said:

so I'm confused almighty person. what IS an RPG exactly what defines one?

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
If it doesn't get delayed again the enhanced version of Baldurs Gate 1 comes out in less than 10 days.

Captain_Dreadmor

Nov 7, 2012
gmaverick019 said:
DoPo said:
gmaverick019 said:
also pro tip, don't buy the enhanced edition, they give you the update for free in the software update(unless i'm mistaken, I got it for free on pc)
I thought it was free if you had the game already when the EE came out. I could easily be wrong, though

OT: Bloodlines and pretty much anything under "role-playing" on GOG. Or if you want a better recommendation, just look up some of the GOG mixes - you can probably find half a dozen about "greatest RPGs" and similar.
you might be right..i'm not quite sure, as i don't know/haven't seen anyone buy the regular version since before the update, can the system even tell? (say you bought the physical copy, then had a system crash so you re-installed it after wiping your hard drive, how would it know specifically if you had it before then?)
maybe an online check like the first activation o the product is marked online or something

Sep 14, 2009
Captain_Dreadmor said:
gmaverick019 said:
DoPo said:
gmaverick019 said:
also pro tip, don't buy the enhanced edition, they give you the update for free in the software update(unless i'm mistaken, I got it for free on pc)
I thought it was free if you had the game already when the EE came out. I could easily be wrong, though

OT: Bloodlines and pretty much anything under "role-playing" on GOG. Or if you want a better recommendation, just look up some of the GOG mixes - you can probably find half a dozen about "greatest RPGs" and similar.
you might be right..i'm not quite sure, as i don't know/haven't seen anyone buy the regular version since before the update, can the system even tell? (say you bought the physical copy, then had a system crash so you re-installed it after wiping your hard drive, how would it know specifically if you had it before then?)
maybe an online check like the first activation o the product is marked online or something
true, just curious if there is any way to truly prove you didn't have the game before such date..the copies aren't actually made anymore, so i find it a bit odd that they'd charge for it if you did get an old copy.

oh well, another fuck to be not given as usual.