Iwata Swears Nintendo Isn't Copying Apple's iPad

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Emergent said:
Translation: "We have been copying fads for some time now, yes."
Pretty much. I'll bet the releasing of a new DS system every year with bare-bones updates like a camera or a slightly brighter screen isn't torn right out of Apple's playbook either.

RanceJustice

Feb 25, 2011
There are a handful of things that bother me about the Wii U (No USB3.0, no upscaling of older content etc...) but probably the worst hardware issue I find is that apparently, the Wii U touchscreen controller is SINGLE TOUCH. Just like the DS of old, this is a single tap device, which relegates it to "pointing at shit in your inventory" duty. See, Nintendo needs to realize that by 2012 when this thing releases, everyone and their mom has been playing around with some sort of touch screen device and its probably some sort of multitouch. The big "magic" of the iPad and iPhone was being able to "pinch, zoom and rotate" when it first came out and any smartphone, tablet or touch-enabled device today has more than a single touch point. People are just going to EXPECT it, but more than that if Nintendo forgot this, its really bad design.

If they say, put 3-10 touch points as would be found on other tablets there, think about all the interactions, such as being able to "grip" an item. Even 2 touch points would enable first-generation iDevice gestures, but single touch? People are going to try to "zoom in" on something and be disappointed right from the getgo, likely forced back to using the "I'd better doubletap" like a 2005 WinCE smartphone's browser.

Nintendo isn't "stealing" from Apple, but if they were they'd be doing a horrible job of it.

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
Mind my language but its nothing like the fucking i pad, oooooo it has a touch screen who cares, apple didnt invent touch gen technology, the ds came out before the ipad so is the ipad a ripp off of the ds then? fucks sake.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Everybody knows Apple invented EVERYTHING,
However can somebody please explain this huge copy of apple when this is just like an extra large Nintendo DS?

TheHardcase

Jun 7, 2011
I think it's irrelevant whether or not they copied the iPad. Pepsi copied Coke, didn't they? Taking a technology proven to be marketable and applying it to new situations (which they genuinely have) isn't mindless theft. I may not like touch technology, but I think it's silly to say that Nintendo is just stealing an idea. They've clearly moved beyond the capabilities of the iPad, and done something different. I don't think it's a good different, but that's also not the argument here.

The fact that it's just a really complex controller connected to a console that runs on your tv pretty much makes the tablet argument.. ridiculous. Everything with a big touch screen is a tablet? It has god damn analog sticks, and presumably doesn't have a note-taking program for people who don't know what pens are.

If the iPad could let you play Darksiders 2 on your tv, with actual non-touch buttons, then yes. This would totally be a ripoff.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
When I first heard about this, I didn't think Nintendo was ripping off Apple; I thought Nintendo was ripping off ITSELF! Quote my very first thought: "Joy... all the frustrations of the DS brought to the console." By that, I mean the irritation of constantly having to put up with gimmicky touch-based controls that force you to stop pressing buttons and touch the bloody screen.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
it reminds me of an ipad, but i never thought nintendo stole the idea from apple; apple neither invented nor perfected the touchscreen tablet.

that said, i think the ipad is stupid and pointless, kind of like a big-ass touchscreen on a game controller, so they do have that in common.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
No its not an Ipad. It still looks similar though and if there is one thing the Internet can do... its pointing out stupid similarities and commenting on them (and then making it a meme). Goodbye ducktaped Gamecubes hello Ipad hooked to a plastic box!

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
BrainWalker said:
Am I currently visiting an alternate universe where Nintendo hasn't already been selling touchscreen devices for years?
Apparently we've both glimpsed this mad universe.

When I saw the controller I thought "Oh hey, it's like having two REALLY big DS screens."

Anomynous 167

May 6, 2008
Um, Tablets with touch screens have been around for at LEAST 3000 years (And yes, a hammer and chisel does count as a touch screen). To think no one else brought up that witticism.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Worgen said:
I dont even know why nintendo would bring this up, I mean nintendo tends to make good things
Considering all the hate(much deserved) that Apple gets for being what it is, I'm guessing Nintendo doesn't want to be linked to them.

Emergent said:
Translation: "We have been copying fads for some time now, yes."
What fads? Touch screens are not a fad, Nintendo's DS line has be a great success and long past the amount of time that it would have to be just a fad and then die out.

3D, has been around longer than that(Since the 1950's, Nintendo just did something to revolutionize 3D by making it so the viewer doesn't have to wear glasses.

Of all the things that I have seen over years and in the past that were called fads and were just that, they lasted no more than a few years.

I couldn't in good conscience call 3D a fad. Fad by nature the word implies "fading" and quickly going away not long after creation. I certainly don't call something that has been around for around 60 years a fad.

The people that call such things fads, are people that are set in there ways and can't accept technological progress. Yes 3D technology isn't perfect, though it is only within the last decade or so that we have had the technology to further 3D. All technology starts out rocky and unrefined and takes time to move forward. It's really a minority that is against such technology, because if it was majority, companies wouldn't make it.

Can you imagine if the first computers were determined a fad and then died out? Wow, it would be bizarre and primitive world today.

So stop shaking your angry "want no change" cane at the normal flow of technological progress.

w1ndscar

Jul 22, 2009
Who cares if Nintendo copied the iPad? Besides, it seems more like a revolutionized idea based off of connecting your gameboy to the game cube to play four swords. Besides Ps3 litterally took the wii remote, and stuck a ball on it... At least Nintendo took a step forward and put physical buttons and analog sticks on it, something that tablets don't have but need.

hazard99

Nov 18, 2009
The first time I saw the controller, it reminded me of the gba uplink for the gamecube.

edit- sigh* if I just read two posts up I would have seen someone make the same comment.