iZombie Aims to Be Buffy for a New Generation

harpere

May 20, 2014
iZombie Aims to Be Buffy for a New Generation

Can a zombie comedy be a fall season hit? We'll be tuning in to CW to find out.

Read Full Article

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Buffy was not a comedy any more than X-Files or Stargate was. Hell, Buffy tended more towards crushingly depressing than comedic.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
And I just got started watching Sankarea: Undying Love, too.

I'm thoroughly fed up with zombies as a concept, but this at least seems like it's trying something new with the formula.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Buffy was not a comedy any more than X-Files or Stargate was. Hell, Buffy tended more towards crushingly depressing than comedic.
I would give it the bi-polar title of 'dramedy,', myself. It had highs and lows, many times in the same episode.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
FalloutJack said:
PrinceOfShapeir said:
I would give it the bi-polar title of 'dramedy,', myself. It had highs and lows, many times in the same episode.
Agreed. Also. The Buffy for a new generation? Thats a tall order. Buffy is a fantastic show. It had a great cast and more specifically brilliant writing. My guess is that what REALLY will separate buffy from iZombie. The premise however, seems cool. With plenty of room for supernatural sidetracking if thats what they want to do (and why wouldnt they).

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
There's a lot in this premise to swallow, so it's good to hear they may be going the humor route rather than straight up drama. The new formula is also pretty intriguing, but what kinds of characters can look interesting around a zombie lead?

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Jim_Callahan said:
PrinceOfShapeir said:
Most of the dramatic bits are only like that because you probably watched the show as a kid, before you were familiar with genre conventions, and took it at face value. The vast majority of the drama stuff was straight-up parody of either horror or teen shows in the '90s, or intended to be funny by virtue of the cross-over between the two.
I know nothing makes me laugh like a man going to a romantic evening and finding his lover brutally murdered in their bed.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Procedural/Serial Crime Dramas being played up as comedies TOTALLY fucking works. ANYONE who watches BONES knows that show has a healthy balance of seriousness and light hearted jokes and a little slapstick humor here and there.

Dramedy's 'do' work if they're handled by a good writer that knows how to balance the two.