J-Horror Legends Collide In The Ring vs. The Grudge Teaser Trailer

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
J-Horror Legends Collide In The Ring vs. The Grudge Teaser Trailer

It's like Freddy vs. Jason except, you know, scary.

Of all the J-horror films to come out in the past fifteen years (of which there have been many), Ringu and Ju-On are easily the most well-known in both their native country and here in the States, thanks in no small part to the hugely successful American remakes they spawned -- The Ring and The Grudge, respectively. In fact, the American Ring franchise is still running strong to this day, with a third entry in the series, [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rings_(2016_film)], set to be released in October.

Likewise, with the final Ju-On film having been released in Japan over the summer (and a Sam Raimi-produced American re-remake of the original The Grudge currently in production), it's obvious that both franchises still carry a lot of fan interest. So when a fan-made trailer mashing up the two J-horror staples went viral on April Fool's Day, the folks at Kadokawa and NBCUniversal Japan knew that they only had one place to go with the series': a Freddy vs. Jason-style showdown of epic proportions.

As such, the two media conglomerates announced back in December that they would be joining forces to deliver the ultimate battle of in The Ring vs. The Grudge.

Sadako vs. Kayako (as it's being billed in Japan) revolves around "a girl, Yuri Kurahashi, after watching a cursed videotape with her friend, becomes trapped in a conflict between Sadako Yamamura and Kayako Saeki" -- Yamamura of course being the central character from the Ringu series and Saeki from Ju-On.

A teaser trailer for Sadako vs. Kayako hit the Interwebs earlier today, and suffice it to say, you might not make it all the way through without needing a clean pair of shorts. The original Ringu and Ju-On may have been praised for their restraint, but personally, I'm all for the idea of seeing both ghosts throw subtlety out the window and throw down in a good old fashioned, American-style battle of egos. Anyone else onboard?

[gallery=5849]

Sadako vs. Kayako scheduled for release in 4-D next June in Japan.

Source: Bloody-Disgusting [http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3381037/sadako-vs-kayako-evil-the-ring-and-the-grudge-spirits-do-battle-trailer/]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
But...but...how do they even battle?? Does one try and get the other one to accidentally watch the tape while the other just...owww my brain!! What is this nonsense?! Oww! Must lie down, dizzy feelings! Need. Logic. Or. Painkillers!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
To be honest, it looks fucking hysterical! Like something out of Scary Movie, but somehow even worse!
This is going to be the new Aliens vs. Predator or Freddy Vs Jason!

I mean a little boy wagging his tongue back and forth while his sister burps! God I wish MST3K was still a real show...

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
So, 2 creepy ghost girls known for killing their victims by simply invading their personal space after a spontaneous appearance are now going to throw down and beat the shit out of each other like pissed-off teenagers?

Fuckin' sign me up, Japan wins my heart once more with its goofy, boundaryless antics.

coolbond

Mar 1, 2011
Silentpony said:
To be honest, it looks fucking hysterical! Like something out of Scary Movie, but somehow even worse!

I mean a little boy wagging his tongue back and forth while his sister burps! God I wish MST3K was still a real show...
it is actually they have funded a new season

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
One word: sacrilege. More words: this is fucking stupid and I can't believe anyone thought it was a good idea... Sure, the original Ring never needed a sequel, but a versus? Ugh. It does also remind me how ridiculous Bats v Supes title is, though, so there's that...

Is this really real? I've not watched the trailer yet, so I live in hope it's somehow an elaborate prank.

Now I've watched it and I'm still not sure. If it's a prank, it did make me laugh. So, er, good job?

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
These are the two oddest horror film characters I could imagine going up against each other, mostly because their powers revolve around merely fucking with people until they arbitrarily kill them. I mean, they can't scare each other to death, can they? I just hope there is a scene where they stare each other down and death rattle at each other for five minutes while the living watch on, puzzled.

I cannot wait to find out just how hilarious the final product will be.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
So what do they both just start invading the other's privacy the entire film while the normal human girl just watches with the kid?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Yes, I mean... The most logical way I can see the plot working is by having them fight over a human who both watches the tape and visits the house and then it's mainly about the human being fought over by two immortal beings and it focuses on the human's POV and being chased.

Maybe you could have interesting stuff with them both influencing reality but this is such a weird fit for a vs movie.

Hmmh also if we go full on ridiculous, I'm pretty sure both Japanese versions have also the ability to control the spirits of those they killed, so... ghost army battle. Them both recruiting ghosts for their armies, with Sadako spreading her tapes on Youtube and Kayako diverts traffic through her house to get people to come under their influence.

Then it ends with LOTR type ghost army battle.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Lieju said:
Yes, I mean... The most logical way I can see the plot working is by having them fight over a human who both watches the tape and visits the house and then it's mainly about the human being fought over by two immortal beings and it focuses on the human's POV and being chased.

Maybe you could have interesting stuff with them both influencing reality but this is such a weird fit for a vs movie.

Hmmh also if we go full on ridiculous, I'm pretty sure both Japanese versions have also the ability to control the spirits of those they killed, so... ghost army battle. Them both recruiting ghosts for their armies, with Sadako spreading her tapes on Youtube and Kayako diverts traffic through her house to get people to come under their influence.

Then it ends with LOTR type ghost army battle.
I wouldn't mind to see a Ring Wraith battle with the two girls....somehow.......in my wildest dream possible......never *snip*

odolwa

Feb 15, 2011
Silentpony said:

It still is, kind of! Look up RiffTrax!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Xsjadoblayde said:
But...but...how do they even battle?? Does one try and get the other one to accidentally watch the tape while the other just...owww my brain!! What is this nonsense?! Oww! Must lie down, dizzy feelings! Need. Logic. Or. Painkillers!
Simple, the bimbo was stupid enough to watched the tape in that bloody stupid haunted house! XD

OT- To quote that guy from Roosterteeth

It never occur to me those two would make a great couple (both kids, lonely, a bad childhood and love scaring the shit out of people) until I saw that trailer.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
coolbond said:
Yeah, but it won't be the same. They don't have Mike, or Tom, or Servo. They just have Joel and that one nerdy chick whose in everything nerdy.
And it's just not the same.

Its like bringing back Freakazoid, but you don't have the voice actor of Freakazoid, or Cosgrove or the Lobe, but you DO have that one nerdy chick whose in everything nerdy as the voice of Steph.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Silentpony said:
coolbond said:
Yeah, but it won't be the same. They don't have Mike, or Tom, or Servo. They just have Joel and that one nerdy chick whose in everything nerdy.
And it's just not the same.

Its like bringing back Freakazoid, but you don't have the voice actor of Freakazoid, or Cosgrove or the Lobe, but you DO have that one nerdy chick whose in everything nerdy as the voice of Steph.
To be fair though, not only is RiffTrax hilarious, I found it funnier than about 90% of the original MST3k. We might not get our beloved characters back but ho boy those guys got really good at their craft. I recently saw both StarshipTroopers and The Room done by RiffTrax and both of them had me dying in my theater seat. I laughed so hard at The Room I was actually crying.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
I guess I'm alone- I can't wait for this. Granted I'll have to find... Other ways to see this, but I want to support this because it literally is Japan's Freddy vs. Jason! And the last time a horror crossover happened, it was awesome!

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Sheo_Dagana said:
These are the two oddest horror film characters I could imagine going up against each other, mostly because their powers revolve around merely fucking with people until they arbitrarily kill them. I mean, they can't scare each other to death, can they? I just hope there is a scene where they stare each other down and death rattle at each other for five minutes while the living watch on, puzzled.

I cannot wait to find out just how hilarious the final product will be.
Fingers crossed for someone shouting out 'Kiss her, you fool!' when that part comes.

My understanding is that Kayako (and by extension her family and all her victims) is some kind of exorcism-proof angst-demon that exists because she died really scared and angry when murdered by her psychotic husband. (the croaking is because he broke her neck, and I guess he shoved the family cat down their son Toshio's throat before drowning him)

Ignoring the fact that if those were the rules, there'd be a thousand Kayakos everywhere on Earth that a battle has ever been fought, Sadako is some psychic super-freak, which makes her a magical force of nature that takes around 40 years to die when thrown down a well. She is also very angsty about what happened to her and kills everyone that doesn't pass on the story to someone else a week after they watch the tape.

My guess is that however it goes down, Kayako's psychotic, also-undead-now husband shows up, jealous that Kayako is getting beaten up by other dead people, and ghost-murders them both again. The reason he killed his family in the first place, I think, was out of envy for his wife stalking some guy that she had a thing for before even meeting him, so that sounds kinda par for the course.

The part I'm really wondering about is how the living characters will be involved with this clusterfuck in a way that doesn't feel like one of those sitcom two-timing date episodes.