J.J. Abrams Going Steampunk With Boilerplate

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Jark212 said:
So Steampunk rises, this can be either very good or kinda bad...
Second post in this thread, I'll keep it brief.

How can a rise in Steampunk ever be a bad thing? Everything I've seen of Steampunk is awesome. The lore surrounding it is wonderful. It takes our world in a fantasy direction that is still governed by the same rules we all know and live with, so it makes it identifiable. The artistry that goes into a lot of steampunk works, whether in literature, music, or especially art, is always, ALWAYS well done. It's surreal, detailed, and captivating. And beyond that, the fan base for steam punk is, I think, one of the best around. I've never met a person that was heavy into Steam punk that was elitest or snobbish. I've never seen a steampunker ripping on the cyberpunks for all their 'gay technology'. They're generally a good group of people that share a common fascination and hobby. I suppose there's always the exception that will be outwardly mean and cruel towards other interests, but if there is I haven't met them.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
ShadowKatt said:
Jark212 said:
So Steampunk rises, this can be either very good or kinda bad...
Second post in this thread, I'll keep it brief.

How can a rise in Steampunk ever be a bad thing? Everything I've seen of Steampunk is awesome. The lore surrounding it is wonderful. It takes our world in a fantasy direction that is still governed by the same rules we all know and live with, so it makes it identifiable. The artistry that goes into a lot of steampunk works, whether in literature, music, or especially art, is always, ALWAYS well done. It's surreal, detailed, and captivating. And beyond that, the fan base for steam punk is, I think, one of the best around. I've never met a person that was heavy into Steam punk that was elitest or snobbish. I've never seen a steampunker ripping on the cyberpunks for all their 'gay technology'. They're generally a good group of people that share a common fascination and hobby. I suppose there's always the exception that will be outwardly mean and cruel towards other interests, but if there is I haven't met them.
Steampunk books and art tend to be pretty amazing from my perspective and Steampunk (finally) being recognized will lead to great movies and other media (art & literature) inevitably, I'm just afraid that this movie could just turn into a cliched adventure story with a robot, but if this movie is done with respect to the original work there would be no way that it could go bad. I really like Steampunk and the culture surrounding it, probably not as much as most of the fans but I still don't really want to see it exploited to a point where it's just another generic movie...

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Well, there is a graphic novel, but I think it was never fully realized, so the main Boilerplate thing is that website. Does this mean this will be the first mainstream movie to be based on a website? God bless J. J. Abrams. Do Real Ultimate Power next.

Boilerplate is also a pretty cool story (eh is made of meatl and doesnt afraid of anything). Defining it as a Victorian Forrest Gump pretty much nails it. I hope they don't change the ending, though.

Jark212 said:
ShadowKatt said:
Jark212 said:
snip II: revenge
snip III: return of curse
I think the problem is that there might be a dumbing down of the concepts. I remember reading a steampunk blog that nailed it quite well, in my opinion: In the early 90's, goth was something new and different, then it went mainstream so companies just started sticking a skull in their products. Soon it will happen to steampunk and they'll add cogs instead.

That said, if it'll die anyway it might as well go mainstream before it does. It'll make it more likely to leave a legacy.