J.J. Abrams Says Gay Characters Are Coming to Star Wars

PatrickJS

New member
Jun 8, 2015
409
0
0
J.J. Abrams Says Gay Characters Are Coming to Star Wars

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1289/1289779.jpg

The director of Star Wars: The Force Awakens says the universe will only become more inclusive, eventually having gay characters.

At an industry event, J.J. Abrams spoke about the inclusivity of the Star Wars universe. When asked if the film series would ever see a gay character, he responded in the affirmative.

"Of course! When I talk about inclusivity it's not excluding gay characters. It's about inclusivity. So of course."

The expanded universe has already seen some openly gay characters - Moff Delian Mors from the Lords of the Sith novel, among others. Not to mention, the series has possibly already had gay characters - we just haven't known about it. Indeed, the only romances the films have ever lingered on involve the primary characters. Anakin mostly seems to like Amidala because of how unlike sand she is [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tLf1JO5bvE], so interpret that as you will.

At the Oscar Wilde Awards (held ahead of Sunday's Oscars), Abrams went on: "to me, the fun of Star Wars is the glory of possibility. So it seems insanely narrow-minded and counterintuitive to say that there wouldn't be a homosexual character in that world."

While one can imagine the internet outrage that might erupt from certain corners, it could be useful to remember that Star Wars has already seen inter-species relationships. If no one is upset about those, maybe we can just be cool about gay people, too?

Source: The Daily Beast [http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/26/j-j-abrams-gay-characters-coming-to-star-wars.html]

Permalink
 

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
885
0
0
Um, ok? Not really sure it has to be stated in advance - or why this is newsworthy at all.
 

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
971
0
0
Gays, schmays, I want more glorious First Order! At the very least let Captain Phasma contribute something more to the next film then just getting punched!
 

Sniper Team 4

New member
Apr 28, 2010
5,433
0
0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the first gay character was Juhani, from Knights of the Old Republic--all the way back in 2003. Bonus points for also being a different species. So they've existed, it's just they've rarely been in stories.

I'm fine with this--it is an entire universe, after all, so there are bound to be people who prefer the same sex--but just...don't make a big deal out of it. "Hey, look! These people are gay! Isn't that great? Guys, isn't that GREAT?!" Because that's just annoying. That's trying too hard and an insult I feel.
Do it like Steven Universe. Everyone in that show already knows that Ruby and Sapphire--as well as probably every other Gem--are gay and no one cares. It's just a part of life. A quick kiss on the cheek here, and natural hand-holding there. Stuff like that. Make it so people notice it, but don't make it that character's defining trait.
 

Sniper Team 4

New member
Apr 28, 2010
5,433
0
0
Dragonlayer said:
Gays, schmays, I want more glorious First Order! At the very least let Captain Phasma contribute something more to the next film then just getting punched!
Surprise! She's the new gay character! :)
But seriously, now that you bring her up, I wouldn't be surprised if they went with this. What better way to get people to forget about the fact that she was a total letdown than to make her the first filmed Star Wars gay character?
 

008Zulu_v1legacy

New member
Sep 6, 2009
6,019
0
0
Sniper Team 4 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the first gay character was Juhani, from Knights of the Old Republic--all the way back in 2003. Bonus points for also being a different species. So they've existed, it's just they've rarely been in stories.
The Old Republic games are not canon, they don't count unfortunately.
 

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
971
0
0
Sniper Team 4 said:
Dragonlayer said:
Gays, schmays, I want more glorious First Order! At the very least let Captain Phasma contribute something more to the next film then just getting punched!
Surprise! She's the new gay character! :)
But seriously, now that you bring her up, I wouldn't be surprised if they went with this. What better way to get people to forget about the fact that she was a total letdown than to make her the first filmed Star Wars gay character?
"Remember how we built up Captain Phasma to be a badass and then completely failed to deliver, thus irritating some people? Well I have the perfect PR solution: make her gay! People will be too busy arguing over about this is too much/isn't enough they'll completely forget she was useless!"

Seriously though, I'd be fine with that - not to suggest that everyone must pass a 'Dragonlayer Approval Rating' test on this tetchy subject - since she seems like the perfect character build to "just" be homosexual. No overt sexualisation, no overemphasis on her gender as a soldier, just the Captain of the elite new Stormtroopers who happens to be gay.
 

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
1,080
0
0
First of all, I thought there already were gay characters in Star Wars. In fact, I could swear there was already news about that on this very site. I don't know, perhaps I simply happened.
But he's talking about the film series here, not the rest of Star Wars, which makes me wonder, why? Aren't other people making the other films? What role does he even have in the Star Wars films now; I thought he was done.

Either way, I hope when they say "gay character" what they actually mean is "character who just happens to be gay", rather than a character who's only distinguishing traits begin and end at their sexuality.
 

mad825

New member
Mar 28, 2010
3,379
0
0
And this would make Stars wars better how? Oh yeah, "gay culture" or the "gay community" will throw money at them and no I'm not being sarcastic. I'm all for this progression in society however when a group is being exploited by capitalism I'll stand against it in principle.
 

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
550
0
0
Yay, now we can finally throw a parade of some sorts, using a specific colour theme which may become renowned for this type of pride. Seriously though, of all the things to quote someone on and elaborate in a news article, this is surely one of the more tame to choose.

Man this could of been an article about all the characters that were lost in the Star Wars EU with a search clause, and now I'm a dash of sad with a tab to wookieepedia open.
 

DoctorM

New member
Nov 30, 2010
172
0
0
Says the guy who is no longer actually involved in the movies.
What a way to pander without having to do anything.
 
Nov 28, 2007
10,686
0
0
DoctorM said:
Says the guy who is no longer actually involved in the movies.
What a way to pander without having to do anything.
That was pretty much my reaction as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with gay characters, bisexual characters, even asexual characters. I just don't want them to be written for that purpose.

Let me put it this way. I'm an online roleplayer. Several of my characters in roleplays have been gay, or bisexual. But I write them first as a character, with their sexuality only coming into play when it fits. I don't write gay characters, I write characters who happen to be gay. I'm an amateur. I certain hope professionals can do the same.
 

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
16,755
0
0
This isn't news. Star Wars has had gay characters since Episode IV. Everyone knows C-3PO was gay and R2-D2 was his lover.

All joking aside, I recall some people suggesting Poe was gay. Because apparently his interactions with Finn were 'gay' in some way. Yeah, I kinda doubt it would be Poe that Abrams is talking about. More likely than Finn, though. And I sort of doubt Rey would be gay. So I expect that IF this is true, it won't be any of the main cast. I could see a supporting or side character being gay, though. Or someone that is introduced in Episode VIII.
 

Soviet Heavy

New member
Jan 22, 2010
12,218
0
0
There have been gays in Star Wars since Juhani in 2003, and Goran Beviin and his husband from like 2007=8. The difference is that theses were never publicized as selling points. They were just sort of there.
 

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
508
0
0
It's gonna be Finn and Poe. I'm calling it right now, it's gonna be Finn and Poe. Not only has Tumblr been aggressively pushing the idea of it, because Tumblr is cancerous in its pandering to fanbases and their whims, but also there is the more reasonable and realistic fact that both Oscar Isaac and John Boyega were playing their characters with the idea that they were, in fact, gay and going to end up together. Or, at least, that's what I've been lead to believe.
 

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
1,080
0
0
Ryallen said:
It's gonna be Finn and Poe. I'm calling it right now, it's gonna be Finn and Poe. Not only has Tumblr been aggressively pushing the idea of it, because Tumblr is cancerous in its pandering to fanbases and their whims, but also there is the more reasonable and realistic fact that both Oscar Isaac and John Boyega were playing their characters with the idea that they were, in fact, gay and going to end up together. Or, at least, that's what I've been lead to believe.
I kind of hope it is, and they end the trilogy on a shot of them both making out and reaching into each other's pants. The fan reaction would be glorious to behold; like the prequels one hundred times over.

On another note, this is my 1000th post ... and it's about gay shipping. Hooray!
 

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
508
0
0
FirstNameLastName said:
Ryallen said:
It's gonna be Finn and Poe. I'm calling it right now, it's gonna be Finn and Poe. Not only has Tumblr been aggressively pushing the idea of it, because Tumblr is cancerous in its pandering to fanbases and their whims, but also there is the more reasonable and realistic fact that both Oscar Isaac and John Boyega were playing their characters with the idea that they were, in fact, gay and going to end up together. Or, at least, that's what I've been lead to believe.
I kind of hope it is, and they end the trilogy on a shot of them both making out and reaching into each other's pants. The fan reaction would be glorious to behold; like the prequels one hundred times over.

On another note, this is my 1000th post ... and it's about gay shipping. Hooray!
Happy thousandth post! I still have quite a ways to go.
 

The Material Sheep

New member
Nov 12, 2009
339
0
0
Cool... I guess. Why don't you just put it in there, and not make a big deal out of it? I honestly don't understand why people feel the need to announce things like this to the world. You aren't special for writing fiction with gay characters in it, and Star Wars at this point, canon or not, has had gay characters before this. I suppose you just had to pat yourself on the back, JJ but virtue signaling this hard just makes you look desperate for attention.

While one can imagine the internet outrage that might erupt from certain corners, it could be useful to remember that Star Wars has already seen inter-species relationships. If no one is upset about those, maybe we can just be cool about gay people, too?
Reading this line again just frustrates me so damn much. Could you be more blatant?

You know if you stop making a big deal out of nothing for clicks perhaps there won't be as much fuel on the fire when something does drop that is even slightly controversial. I understand it makes you journalists more money from clicks, but exploiting and priming people to be outraged on a subject for your monetary benefit is pretty slimy. This isn't news. This barely qualifies as a editorial as the commentary doesn't really add much from the source material. This is just substandard journalism, and the Escapist shouldn't be running articles this vacuous.